Android OS Access

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
TestMeister

Android OS Access

Post by TestMeister »

XY 14.60.0200 on WIn7 Profession 64 bit

Don just graciously resolved my last problem so I feel like I'm on a roll...

The search did not turn up any recent posts on this so what is the current status of XY accessing Android devices?

Below shows Windows Explorer on the left and XY on the right.
On the left you can see I have access to my Samsung tablet (SM-T900) and when connected, WinX also sees my HTC-M8. For both devices, as soon as I connect the USB cable they show up and I have no special software loaded (AFAIK). However, no matter what I try I cannot get XY to see the devices.
ScreenHunter_424 Dec. 12 18.10.png
ScreenHunter_424 Dec. 12 18.10.png (164.59 KiB) Viewed 4410 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Android OS Access

Post by admin »

Yes, yes, known issue. I had planned it for this year, but it's really tough to do. Looks I won't make it in 2014. But it's on the top of my list. I'm losing money everyday without this feature...

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:I had planned it for this year, but it's really tough to do.
Is it "just" because of the sheer plethora and diversity mobile (android) phones?
Maybe a more gradual approach to introduction could be helpful here (e.g. starting with a tweak)?

FH

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, it's because of the sheer lack of documentation and the apparent bizarrness of the implementation. The was probably designed in the darkest times of MS, deep in the Vista era...

TestMeister

Post by TestMeister »

After some trial and error, WebDAV Server seems to work pretty well despite some limitations. There are a few different apps on the Google Play that provide this and below is the one I just loaded (ad version is free)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... bdavserver

Basically it allows your device to be a node on your local LAN just like a PC. It was trivial to setup, just DL, enable, then map a network drive to the IP address it displays.

The WebDAV protocol limits transferred files to 4 gig and for any files over 50m you have to hack the default Windows registry setting as follows:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\WebClient\Parameters
set FileSizeLimitInBytes = 4294967295
Also, if browsing your device from Windows is sluggish, in Control Panel\Internet Options\Connections\LAN Settings\
Uncheck the Proxy automatic options

The advantage is not being tethered to your PC nor having your phone go into an alternate feature mode when connecting via the USB.
It works fine for me as I transfer pictures, sound files and documents of modest size.
ScreenHunter_429 Dec. 15 15.37.png
ScreenHunter_429 Dec. 15 15.37.png (45.11 KiB) Viewed 4329 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not bad as a workaround, thanks! :appl:

sinilill

Post by sinilill »

Another solution would be to launch a FTP server (I'm using FTP Widget) on the phone and then access it over WiFi with a FTP program. Since I'm too lazy to browse my phone in a seperate program, I 'have set up some WinSCP batch scripts, some examples:
1. Phone\DCIM folder -> computer\phonepictures folder - with one click the script downloads all new pictures from phone to computer.
2. Selected files -> phone\INCOMING folder - with one click I can upload files to a specified folder in my phone.

With my 2 year old phone I get 6MB/s, for me it's fast enough :D

Normally it would start to download, but I'm not at home right now.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

I don't know about Android, but for WindowsPhone my würgaround simply is using Windows' FileExplorer.

Cheers,
Filehero

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

Yea... I have a Kindle Fire HD 7. It's invisible to many Windows apps; including anything that runs on Java (such as my fave calendar, Pimlical). Very annoying. Also it's invisible to Google Play. I was able to use an app from Amazon called Wifi File Explorer Pro. I'll have to try TestMiester's workabout.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Yeah that's the same problem with most newer mobile devices. With old devices, they would expose the user memory as a drive which is formatted in FAT32. You can then do whatever you need with any programs. The newer ones rely on MTP and only a select few programs have it out of the box so you generally have to use workarounds like all the ones here. I use AirDroid and a browser for most of my stuff but in the past, I also used Wifi File Explorer Pro when I got that for free ages ago. After that, I also used a widget to easily turn on and off Wifi and then use WinSCP also exactly just like everyone here is doing hahaha. Although to ease things for me nowadays, I simply use BitTorrent Sync and have the master folder on the computer. Any changes on the computer or on the phone will be synced across and instantly.

lead

Post by lead »

What about XY supporting MTP?
Is that so dificult?

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

lead wrote:What about XY supporting MTP?
Is that so dificult?
Don is already fiercely working on it you know. http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 43#p115144
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

lead

Post by lead »

SammaySarkar wrote:Don is already fiercely working on it you know. http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 43#p115144
Yeah, but I don't know what he is doing because of this::
admin wrote:No, it's because of the sheer lack of documentation and the apparent bizarrness of the implementation. The was probably designed in the darkest times of MS, deep in the Vista era...

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

that's the reason why it's taking so long. But he did not say he's stopped because of that!
(Remember there's only one person working on it and not a big team.)
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No worries, I'm coming closer...