Two questions before I buy this :)

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Laughing Man

Two questions before I buy this :)

Post by Laughing Man »

The first was, when I plugged my mp3 player (some san disk model) it doesn't show up in XYplorer :(. It shows up as Sandisk (model #) in Windows Explorer though. Was wondering why that was. If it's not possible, then that's not a big problem, the positives of this file explorer far outweigh that negative.

The other is, when I drag and drop files into catalog, it copies it there. Is there a way to set it to move it instead of copying?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Two questions before I buy this :)

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Laughing Man wrote:The other is, when I drag and drop files into catalog, it copies it there. Is there a way to set it to move it instead of copying?
Hi, and welcome to the forum! You'll soon realize that there are a few of us in various parts of the world, so getting an answer can sometimes be fairly quick.

On your first item, I don't have an answer...will defer on that to others..

On second item, if I read your statement correctly, it would appear that you may have misunderstood what the catalog does...have you read the wiki page about it? See http://88.191.26.34/XYwiki/index.php/Catalog...
You don't move things into the catalog...it's somewhat like 'Favorites' in IE, ok? It's also possible I may have misinterpreted your statement, and if so, can you clarify if needed?

You can move files to a location pointed to by a catalog entry, however.

Update: Also, did you hold down right mouse (.vs. left) while dragging? That shows the custom XY context menu, and is indicated by a special mouse pointer that has a small square box by it...The menu allows one to pick desired action.
Last edited by j_c_hallgren on 15 Jan 2007 04:16, edited 3 times in total.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

I think I can do the drag and drop by holding shift down. The wiki says that the catalog supports drag and drop.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I'll be first to admit I use D&D only rarely, so when I do, I've often forgotten which causes move .vs. copy ( :oops: ), but my quick check of XY Help under Keyboard Shortcuts shows holding 'Cntl' forces Copy, while 'Shift' forces Move, as you stated.

That's why I tend to use right-mouse to get menu, as my updated post above says.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

So I just paid for the registration. :) So nice to be able to start it with instant access to my files instead of waiting for that screen that shows how many trial days are left.

Still confused about the mp3 player though. I don't have any other removable file storage to test (but I assume flash drives and portable HDDs work on it right?).

Since I think the mp3 player not working probably has something to do with the playsforsure thing that Microsoft has.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

My flash drives (PNY and Memorex) and my MP3 Player (a flash drive based one) show up and work just fine, as does my external HDD (USB connected) which has three partitions on it...and my SD card reader/writer works as well...must be something particular to yours.

I'm sure Don appreciates the registration, even before you've had a chance to see how quickly he normally responds to postings here... :D
Last edited by j_c_hallgren on 15 Jan 2007 08:04, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My USB-stick shows as drive, my flash-card reader as well.

Does your mp3-thing have a drive-letter in WE?

PS: welcome to XY and thanks for buying! :D

Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

No, thank you for the great file explorer. :)

No, my mp3 player doesn't have a drive letter when it shows up in WE. It just shows up as "sandisk model #". Maybe that's why..

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Maybe it works similar to the interface to my Nokia cell phone (that I tried once) which didn't appear in XY? It shows in WE as a folder titled "Nokia Phone Browser", and opens in a separate WE window...and have NO idea where it's hooked into system!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:...and have NO idea where it's hooked into system!
That's how I would describe my state of the art, too. How do these non-drives (or virtual folders or what) work? If any programmer out there would share a hint, he's welcome to share it here.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I looked just a bit more...and see that the Nokia Browser seems to share some attributes with "Control Panel" as both appear as "System Folder" in MyComputer via WE, and context menu for both are same (very limited).

Maybe that helps a bit?

Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

Yeah, mine does that too, it opens its own WE window. I guess that's why it doesn't work.

Oh well.

mikes16

Late Answer

Post by mikes16 »

Actually - I may know why this is.

There are two settings on most SanDisk players for USB - an "AUTO" mode and "MTB" (or something, other than AUTO). Should be in the material that came with your player, or in the online documentation.

I noticed for mine when I set it to "AUTO" it seems to be expecting to "SYNCH" with iTunes or MediaMonkey (those are the two MP# programs I use) and when it does that it doesnt show up with a drive letter.

When I set it to the OTHER setting (be it MTB or whatever) it shows up. Actually, my player has built in memory and a removable microSD card, and I end up with TWO drive letters for my player - 1 for the internal memory and one for the microSD card.

Hope this helps.

Laughing Man

Post by Laughing Man »

Cool, thanks! I'll look into this.

Found it out, I have to switch it to the hold position for it to be recognized as a data device in XYplorer.

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

Yeah, my Windows Mobile 5 PDA doesn't show up in XY either, yet it does in WE. Not the end of the world, but it surely would be nice for it to show up :) Perhaps some of the docs on ActveSync may help with this method of connecting up to these kind of devices. FTR doesn't show up as a drive letter either.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/ ... enter.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/ ... ync45.mspx
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)