Colored Tabs?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Papoulka

Colored Tabs?

Post by Papoulka »

OK, I'll bite... What and where are "colored tabs"? This feature was added recently and I have a use for such, but I can't figure out how to do it. If there's anything in the menus, help, or forum I've overlooked it.

Thx

Stef123

Re: Colored Tabs?

Post by Stef123 »

I am a bit lost, too. Intrigued by your title, I tried variatons of "|hex color code" in the Rename-tab field, but no luck. All I could achieve was matching the tab BG to the list color BG.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

"Colored Tabs" just mean the tab header background colors set in Config->Colors now apply even to tabs with "Windows Themes" style (Config->Tabs->Visual style).
(you have to check "Apply Colors" in config->colors)

Previously the tab BG colors only applied when tab visual style was "XYplorer classic"
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

Slavaon

Post by Slavaon »

I thought there will be color tabs in XYplorer, for visual relief of perception.
For example so:
Colored Tabs.png
Colored Tabs.png (3.07 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
It would be useful.

Papoulka

Post by Papoulka »

Thank you, Sammay; now I understand.

Yes, being able to color only the tab would be nice; maybe someday.

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

Thanks Sammay for letting us know. The term is a bit misleading considering what it means in other software.
Papoulka wrote: Yes, being able to color only the tab would be nice; maybe someday.
I agree. Maybe similar to custom icons in the rename tab by specifing a hex color or color name:

Code: Select all

|color:papayawhip
|color:#FFEFD5

Meester

Post by Meester »

I'll take it one step farther. I was thinking that the color tabs could be automated like with the file names. For example, depending on what directory the tab is located in would show a different color. Why? I have several servers that are really slow when reading. When I'm strolling through the tabs because the names of the directories aren't always clear, because I oftern work on a local server but then copy the same structure to the storage server. So the name on the tab will be the same for both servers, I never know what server it is until I pick on the tab and see. When I pick on a tab pointing to one of those slow servers, XYPlorer puases for a long time waiting to get info from that server. It would be nice if I could make those slow servers a color of red to warn me, "Are you sure you want to pick on this slow server?" So if I could put a code in there saying, when ever a tab points to this server or drive letter or directory, make it color red.

sireddie

Post by sireddie »

Meester wrote:I'll take it one step farther. I was thinking that the color tabs could be automated like with the file names. For example, depending on what directory the tab is located in would show a different color. Why? I have several servers that are really slow when reading. When I'm strolling through the tabs because the names of the directories aren't always clear, because I oftern work on a local server but then copy the same structure to the storage server. So the name on the tab will be the same for both servers, I never know what server it is until I pick on the tab and see. When I pick on a tab pointing to one of those slow servers, XYPlorer puases for a long time waiting to get info from that server. It would be nice if I could make those slow servers a color of red to warn me, "Are you sure you want to pick on this slow server?" So if I could put a code in there saying, when ever a tab points to this server or drive letter or directory, make it color red.
+1 for this feature

eil

Post by eil »

Meester wrote: So if I could put a code in there saying, when ever a tab points to this server or drive letter or directory, make it color red.
i like this idea too.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

sireddie

Post by sireddie »

Ok so I've found a way of differentiating between local and network tabs. Works quite well and the only side-effect is that all network folder icons (not only on tabs) are modified.

This is what I've achieved:
XYplorer - network folder icons 1.png
XYplorer - network folder icons 1.png (98.36 KiB) Viewed 4229 times
How to set it up:
Tools -> List Management -> Portable File Icons...
XYplorer - network folder icons 2.png
XYplorer - network folder icons 2.png (32.76 KiB) Viewed 4229 times
Individual system icons extracted using NirSoft IconsExtract
Converted to .png online: http://iconverticons.com/online/
Colour replaced in Photoshop (Image - Adjustments -> Replace Color...)
Converted back to .ico online: http://iconverticons.com/online/

Hope this is useful to someone

Meester

Post by Meester »

In order for SirEddie's idea to work, make sure that you have "Tools/Configure/General - Refresh, Icons, History/Enable custom file icons" checked on. Once I figured that out, very cool. :appl:
I used this code:
\\*\*\>Folder-Red.ico <-- This makes folders on all servers at my company red
c:\*\>Folder-Green.ico <-- Folders on the C: drive are Green
p:\*\>folder-Green.ico <-- Folders on the P: drive (the local server) are Green

After using SirEddie's tip on how to create the colored icons I also put them in the Xyplorer/Data/Icons folder. Also I just did a search for Folder.ico in my windows directory to figure out where one was.
sireddie wrote:Ok so I've found a way of differentiating between local and network tabs. Works quite well and the only side-effect is that all network folder icons (not only on tabs) are modified.

This is what I've achieved:
XYplorer - network folder icons 1.png

cadu

Post by cadu »

+1
Does anyone know if "color tabs" is already in official XYplorer roadmap?

Leito

Post by Leito »

Since this post is high in search engines result, informing that it has been implemented in XYplorer 20.00:
Custom Colored Tabs. Now tabs can be individually colored.

For example, to set a new background color right-click the tab header and select Background Color.... In the pop-up dialog use the button Select Color... to open a color picker. Or, if you are nerd enough, simply type in the hex color value (RRGGBB). Finally click OK and admire the newly colored tab header.

To set a new text color do the same using the Text Color... item in the tab header’s right-click menu.