Can zip/rar files be handled as if they were directories?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
gdlm

Can zip/rar files be handled as if they were directories?

Post by gdlm »

Hi,
I know XYplorer has Zip support.
But is it possible to let XYplorer handle a zip or rar file as if it was a directory.

How it currently is: when I press enter when a zip or rar file is selected, WinRAR opens that file (the behaviour of windows explorer based on zip/rar file extensions being linked to WinRAR)

How I would like it to be: when I press enter when a zip or rar file is selected, in XYplorer's pane I see the files and sub directories in the zip/rar file of the first level. And I'm able to copy/move those files/directories to the other pane. When I select a subdir and press enter again, I see the files/directories in that subdir. And so on. (Functionality as it is available in eg. Total Commander)

Is that currently possible in XYplorer (latest version)?

Kind regards

highend

Re: Can zip/rar files be handled as if they were directories

Post by highend »

But is it possible to let XYplorer handle a zip or rar file as if it was a directory?
Not in a way that you'd like to have it ;(

A workaround:
Ctrl + Q (or menu - Window - Show Info Panel (F12) - Switch to preview tab)

You can navigate the selected zip file in this preview window and drag and drop files / folders from it...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

gdlm

Post by gdlm »

Not in a way that you'd like to have it
All right. Time for a feature request then...
A workaround:
Ctrl + Q (or menu - Window - Show Info Panel (F12) - Switch to preview tab)
In the Preview tab panel of the info panel it just says: "Previewed in Floating Preview only." instead of showing the content.

highend

Post by highend »

All right. Time for a feature request then..
It's been requested already (more than once). No need for a new request.
In the Preview tab panel of the info panel it just says: "Previewed in Floating Preview only." instead of showing the content.
Open the configuration (F9).
Preview - Previewed Formats
Select "Web & Office Files" under Category. Just click on the line, not the checkmark!
Click "Add..."
Enter "zip" without quotations marks
Click "OK"

Select a different file, select the .zip, it should now display it's contents in the preview tab.

gdlm

Post by gdlm »

It's been requested already (more than once). No need for a new request.
All right. I suppose I can find it between the wishes?
How big is the chance that it will be implemented?
Select a different file, select the .zip, it should now display it's contents in the preview tab.
Thanks highend! :appl: It works for zip files.
(Although, when I drag and drop a directory from the preview to a pane, the directory is created, but the files are not created inside the directory, but at the same level. Which is not what I expected.)

It doesn't work for rar files. (I added rar to the options, just like I did for zip)
Instead it comes up with a download window. ?? :?: ??

highend

Post by highend »

I suppose I can find it between the wishes?
Yes, e.g. http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... &hilit=zip
Don wrote:XY has so many edges over DO that I can give them that one without sweat. But thanks for the input. It is on my list and will eventually come.
(Although, when I drag and drop a directory from the preview to a pane, the directory is created, but the files are not created inside the directory, but at the same level. Which is not what I expected.)
It's a workaround and not really a perfect one ;(
It doesn't work for rar files
Nope. XY uses the Windows inbuild zip utility. No rar (or any other archive format) support.

One of the few reasons why having a second file manager around is probably a good idea (I'm using e.g. SpeedCommander for it's archive as a filesystem support).

gdlm

Post by gdlm »

Okay. Not big at all, if I read all those posts. :cry:
That's really a pity. It's sooo convenient (in eg. Total Commander)
One of the few reasons why having a second file manager around is probably a good idea
You could be right. Although, I'm not that keen on the idea...

Stef123

Post by Stef123 »

gdlm wrote:
One of the few reasons why having a second file manager around is probably a good idea
You could be right. Although, I'm not that keen on the idea...
No other way from my point of view. Here's how I handle it: Set up XY to open zip and rar etc in SpeedCommander or MultiCommander or FreeCommander. All of them treat archives like regular folders in list view and all of them are portable - very important for my workflow. I then pass both panes (left and right) to the other commander to continue working in the same folder environment.

Downside: You have to maintain everything twice - your favorite folders, your view settings, your filters ...

gdlm

Post by gdlm »

Thanks for the info about your work flow Stef123.
...SpeedCommander or MultiCommander or FreeCommander. All of them treat archives like regular folders in list view
Add TotalCommander to this list, and you can see that XYplorer is realy "missing" this feature. And why people will keep asking for it.
I really don't understand why the author doesn't want to add such a convenient feature.
I was thinking about switiching to XY, but I think I'll stick to TC due to this. I browse/expand zip/rar files daily.

mikeyosm

Re: Can zip/rar files be handled as if they were directories?

Post by mikeyosm »

I know it has been many years since this discussion but having recently paid for a new license I was really hoping that rar/archive support inside lister panes was possible.
Is this feature still under consideration? it would be very useful for me as I deal with multiple zip/rar files almost daily.

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

Any tool that integrates nicely with XY, maybe with the help of a script can make this possible to not just view but also un-compress RAR files ?

Leito

Post by Leito »

CookieMonster wrote: 21 Jan 2019 06:25 Any tool that integrates nicely with XY, maybe with the help of a script can make this possible to not just view but also un-compress RAR files ?
I use:
  • The HoverBox to quickly see the root content of an archive.
  • This script (assign it to a button or a keyboard shortcut) to quickly extract an archive to the current folder using 7-Zip:

Code: Select all

/* Extracts the selected archives using 7-Zip.
     * For each archive, if it contains:
     * - Only one item in the archive root: the content is extracted directly to the current folder.
     * - More than one item in the archive root: the content is extracted to a new folder.
     */
    "ExtractWith7Zip"
        // Check if there's a file/folder selected
        if (Get("CountSelected") == 0) {
            Msg("Please select at least one file to extract.", 16);
            End(1);
        }

$filesPaths = Get('SelectedItemsPathNames', '|');
        foreach ($filePath, $filesPaths, "|") {
            // Get the list of files/folders present in the root of the zip file
            $zipContent = Zip_List2($filePath);

// Compute the number of files/folders present in the root of the zip file
            $filesInZipRoot = GetToken($zipContent, "count", "|");

if ($filesInZipRoot > 1) {
                // Extract to a new folder
                Run("""C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7zG.exe"" x ""$filePath"" -o*");
            } else {
                // Extract to the current folder
                Run("""C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7zG.exe"" x ""$filePath"" -o""<curpath>""");
            }
        }

josabr

Post by josabr »

mikeyosm wrote: 30 Dec 2018 23:57 I know it has been many years since this discussion but having recently paid for a new license I was really hoping that rar/archive support inside lister panes was possible.
Is this feature still under consideration? it would be very useful for me as I deal with multiple zip/rar files almost daily.
Can't agree more with the need for this feature to open archive files like regular folders. I too wonder why this has not been a priority for the developer/oner all these years, since this provides a real productivity boost in a lot of job situations. I really like the interface, useablity and customization features of xyplorer, and I have recommended this as a file explorer solution to quite a few of my clients over the years. Unfortunately most of them had this requirement of dealing with zip files all the time; most of their backoffice employees have to process hundreds of archive files every day, and they regarded this feature as an absolute must-have to improve their employee productivity. Consequently they disregarded xyplorer even though they all liked the looks of it!. These are corporate clients who need thousands of desktop installations!. I had since stopped suggesting this solution, but recently I had a new client who again needs this feature, so I began searching for available products and came across this again. I hoped the feature would have been built-in by this time. Perhaps the developers of xyplorer have some kind of technical limitation in not being able to build this feature; perhaps they have not understood the real business cases; I really don't know!!

dhigby

Post by dhigby »

I'm waiting for this also. A new user, and surprized that there is no handling of zip files like you would expect.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, it is planned. Since long. But more interesting things came along and in the way. But thanks for reminding me. I keep it in the back of mind. Archived. :) :tup: