Saving search results

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Orson

Saving search results

Post by Orson »

I know I can save a search to a tab. Any time I want to re-run the search, I can select the tab. (Of course, I can also create a search template to re-run the search, too.)

Is there a way to save the found files from a search on a tab without re-running the search every time I click the tab? Can I just save results, not the search process? Thanks.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

No this is not possible (yet). As you said XY only allows you to use Finding tab or Search Templates, but doesn't do no cache of results.

Allthough, and this is me speaking here, not Don, but I said "yet" cause I beleive once the "Drop Stack" will be added in XY there will be some new possibilities, like to cache search results simply by adding them to a new DS, or also the use of such "temporary" DS to be able to do "refined searches" (also known as iterative searches) which means start a new search either among those results (ie. use DS as Location), or and add the new results to the first ones (ie add them to the DS), which should all be easily doable, I think, when XY will have DS support.
But DS will not be added to XY tomorrow, so for now you'll have to have your searches re-runned (though on 2nd time they're usually way faster!).
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, there is a sort of Drop Stack already: You add your search results to a catalog category (which you have created before), where they will be saved between sessions.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:Well, there is a sort of Drop Stack already: You add your search results to a catalog category (which you have created before), where they will be saved between sessions.
Very "sort of" this is! :P I mean, starting with the fact that one cannot browse the content of a Category on List, etc ;)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

Orson

Post by Orson »

I didn't know I could save search results to a category. I just tried it. Pretty cool! Thanks everyone.

surrender

Post by surrender »

admin wrote:Well, there is a sort of Drop Stack already: You add your search results to a catalog category (which you have created before), where they will be saved between sessions.
How do you that?? And when did you sneak that one in?? I wonder how many more tricks are going unnoticed or unadvertised.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

surrender wrote:
How do you that?? And when did you sneak that one in?? I wonder how many more tricks are going unnoticed or unadvertised.
It is there since long. :)
How to do it: select all your search results and drag them onto a category (or choose "Add Selected Items Here" in the catalog ctx menu).
I'll add something easier tomorrow: add current list as new category...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:
Very "sort of" this is! :P I mean, starting with the fact that one cannot browse the content of a Category on List, etc ;)
:) I know...

surrender

Post by surrender »

Tried the drag search feature, its kind of useful. But as Jacky said if one could see the entire contents in the list mode it would be much more useful. But frankly, i am not doing too many searches each day and I wont miss this feature that much.
But on the other hand for people who do regular searches and want a kind of list of searches they made, there should be an option to save and retrieve them at later time.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

surrender wrote:Tried the drag search feature, its kind of useful. But as Jacky said if one could see the entire contents in the list mode it would be much more useful.
Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about Catalog categories (which obviously can't be done (cause of URLs, Name Searches, etc) but about the planned Drop Stack, which will support this ;)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

ugus

Post by ugus »

A nice addition to the "saved search" feature would be to just add the "search tab" to the catalog and when you click on it in the catalog, the "cached" list displays in the list, not in the catalog.

/Ulrik

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ugus wrote:A nice addition to the "saved search" feature would be to just add the "search tab" to the catalog and when you click on it in the catalog, the "cached" list displays in the list, not in the catalog.
Yes, I have stuff like this on my mind since long. To browse stored lists, snapshots of historical (dead, unlive) states of your file system... it is more or less the Drop Stack topic.
So what would you save in a "saved search": just the names and retrieve fresh data (mod time, size...) on display? Or store the whole data set (all columns) (which would allow comparisons to the Now-state)? Just asking...

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Jumping into this topic: I'd go for having the full results of prior search saved so I could use it to compare...oh, wait...that's right...comparing is not that easy in XY :oops: due to single tab view... :wink:

Anyway, I could see doing something like an import of a "report to file" from a prior function...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

ugus

Post by ugus »

admin wrote:
ugus wrote:A nice addition to the "saved search" feature would be to just add the "search tab" to the catalog and when you click on it in the catalog, the "cached" list displays in the list, not in the catalog.
Yes, I have stuff like this on my mind since long. To browse stored lists, snapshots of historical (dead, unlive) states of your file system... it is more or less the Drop Stack topic.
So what would you save in a "saved search": just the names and retrieve fresh data (mod time, size...) on display? Or store the whole data set (all columns) (which would allow comparisons to the Now-state)? Just asking...
Just the names and maybe add fresh data (mod time, size...) on display will be OK and maybe also something indicating if the file couldn't be reached...disabled greyed icons??.

Want to have a sort of super fast cached copy of my search. Also you could add some kind of refresh functionality to the search if the user really want to refresh the search.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:Yes, I have stuff like this on my mind since long. To browse stored lists, snapshots of historical (dead, unlive) states of your file system... it is more or less the Drop Stack topic.
Yeah, and I think it shouldn't be thought as a separate feature. I mean, at least for the "saved search" thing, which would be IMO just one use of the many use the Drop Stack will offer (to save a list of items that can be browsed later, used as search location, etc)

And on subject, I think the best would be to only retain the item's path/name ; and get all the other info only if/when needed (browsing) live, with a greyed icon or something for items now "missing"
Proud XYplorer Fanatic