Performance on network drives

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:Speed is Fantastic!!! Can we PLEASE have that on the local drives. I can now log the same directory on the network computer faster than I can log it on the local machine (large number of sub-directories only containing files - my old problem).
Okay, I knew you would like it. :) I add an option "Check existence of subfolders for tree nodes" (english okay???), plus another one to skip it on network drives.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:Okay, I knew you would like it. :) I add an option "Check existence of subfolders for tree nodes" (english okay???), plus another one to skip it on network drives.
Your English is far better than my German!! Guten tag, is about as much as I can remember from schooldays.

I think simply "Check sub-folders for tree nodes" would be sufficient.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I'd maybe simply say "Check if subfolders exist" or "Verify that subfolders exist" or similar...and then append "on network drives" or "on local drives" to either...and then further describe it in help...

That's assuming that you'd have two separate options...one for local and one for network...as one might want to check local but not network...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

jacky wrote:Obviously I do have auto-refresh enabled but not on network locations, and use generic icons only on network locations. (and no icon overlays either)
I'd just had a play around with that very setting before I came in here, and that was the kiddy that was slowing things down for me the most. It's nice to have the option of absolute speed over correctness now, but I'm not sure which I prefer. Being able to snap through directories I know that don't have any sub folders is great, but in dirs that I don't know it's a pain :/

Any chance of XY checking for subfolders in a low priority background thread like I mentioned earlier? This would be the best of both worlds IMO as it would give you instantaneous folder changing AND correct [+]s very shortly after changing folder. Most of the time, by the time the humand has glanced at what is in the folder, the background thread could have checked for subdirs.

And while you're at it (muahahahaha) could the "Auto-refresh on file system changes" be made a background thread? This way you can keep it on and it won't slow down your browsing, but still keep you up to date. Multiple threads are all the rage these days afterall and it would give you another feature to add to your site "Supports multicore processors!" :D
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:Added option "Check existence of subfolders for tree nodes". ... Turning it OFF will speed up browsing the tree c-o-n-s-i-d-e-r-a-b-l-y. You won't believe it...
Oh yes I would, it's absolutely FANTASTIC, thank you Donald. My archive directory now takes less than two seconds to display all sub-directories, rather than the four minutes plus it took before. Another couple of seconds and I can see the files I want in a sub-directory. An excellent piece of coding, which I appreciated very much.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Agree (again)

Post by admin »

phatmankerr wrote:I am with JML13 here tree browsing is far quicker (:D ) however listview still takes muchos time to appear.
I made some interesting experiments re. network speed and got a weird result: speed of network browsing apparently varies between 2 modes, where the fast mode is about 40 times faster than the slow mode. Which mode is used depends on the files to be listed, but in some complex way where I did not succeed to find a clear pattern after trying countless variations over 2 hours... and I'm quite good in seeing patterns. There must be some very involved logic machinery at work behind the scenes.
Some things at least came out clearly: a folder filled with just GIF files loads very quickly, and problems (= slow mode) may start with the existence of EXE files in the listing (but not always... :roll: ). Interestingly it does not help to rename the EXE to other extensions, so it appears that the files are actually opened and scanned for contents.
Note that I do not have a virus scanner active, but I do have the XP firewall turned on. It probably relates to the latter... in which case XYplorer could not do anything about it. BUT: you tell me other file managers list network folders quicker, right? Hmmm...

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:... problems (= slow mode) may start with the existence of EXE files in the listing (but not always... :roll: ). Interestingly it does not help to rename the EXE to other extensions, so it appears that the files are actually opened and scanned for contents.
Are the slower EXE files UPX compressed by any chance? Just a thought. I know UPX compression can sometimes cause false positives with AV software.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:
admin wrote:... problems (= slow mode) may start with the existence of EXE files in the listing (but not always... :roll: ). Interestingly it does not help to rename the EXE to other extensions, so it appears that the files are actually opened and scanned for contents.
Are the slower EXE files UPX compressed by any chance? Just a thought. I know UPX compression can sometimes cause false positives with AV software.
No, not compressed.

subnet99

Network Timeouts

Post by subnet99 »

Hello,

I am testing XYplorer and have tried Version 5.50.0001 and Beta 5.50.0006 which the ReadmeXY.txt file for the Beta shows as Version 5.40.0044. The product works great from local drives but has problems with network drives.

Specifically when browsing a mapped drive over a VPN connection using the list view XYplorer just hangs. If I click on the tree view things work correctly.

I do not have the problem when using Windows Explorer, PowerDesk 6 or UltraExplorer.

FYI, in the configuration file I have unchecked the following:
Show My Network Places
Expand destination node in tree
Check existence of subfolders for tree nodes

and checked:
Use generic icons for super-fast browsing

Are there any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Tim

admin
Site Admin

Re: Network Timeouts

Post by admin »

subnet99 wrote:Specifically when browsing a mapped drive over a VPN connection using the list view XYplorer just hangs. If I click on the tree view things work correctly.
What you mean by "using the list view"?

subnet99

Post by subnet99 »

I mean the right hand window/tab....

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

subnet99 wrote:I mean the right hand window/tab....
Sure, but what means "using"? How can the listview be slower than the tree??? They use identical functions...

subnet99

Post by subnet99 »

I honestly don't know why one way hangs and the other does not.

I can drill down into a folder with 1 file on the left side without a problem. On the right side when I click on the folder I get nothing but the hour glass which eventually just goes away and the folder never opens to display the file inside.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

subnet99 wrote:I honestly don't know why one way hangs and the other does not.

I can drill down into a folder with 1 file on the left side without a problem. On the right side when I click on the folder I get nothing but the hour glass which eventually just goes away and the folder never opens to display the file inside.
Okay, thanks, I'll check that. This ridiculous behavior won't see a tomorrow! :twisted:

subnet99

Post by subnet99 »

Thanks...

I admire your tenacity.