Custom Columns

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
SkyFrontier

Re: Custom Columns

Post by SkyFrontier »

@binocular222:
bug1, even if the SCOPE is declared?
bug2, doesn't happen here. Bet it's due to a lack of scope... :roll:
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Concerning your 3rd idea, XY already has a tweak for that.
Sorry - can't locate which one, right now.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

binocular222

Post by binocular222 »

SkyFrontier wrote:@binocular222:
bug1, even if the SCOPE is declared?
bug2, doesn't happen here. Bet it's due to a lack of scope... :roll:
After adding a scope, bug1 gone, bug2 still exist.
I'm a casual coder using AHK language. All of my xys scripts:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 243#p82488

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SFXAudio wrote:-Sample Rate (for audio files, like .wav, .mp3, .flac, etc...)
-Audio bit depth - the current bit depth in the select property screen doesn't work on audio (maybe it's for images only?)
-Audio channels - there doesn't seem to be an option for this in the select property window.
Welcome to the club, Dave!

The Select Property list should show everything available on your system. If Explorer can show that column then it should be listed in that list. No need for scripting.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

binocular222 wrote: :bug: : View > Reset Tree will make Custom Column disappear
Huh? How that? Not here.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

ListFullNameSelect, the tweak.
YES: bug 1 still happens on certain folders, even ones with single scope match,plain txt!

Marco

Post by Marco »

Why in the changelog ( http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 13#p100913 ) an excessive emphasis is put on the slowness of Custom Columns? I mean, I understand that you, Don, want to be honest, but this isn't good marketing. Browsing with CCs isn't (noticeably) slower than browsing in WE with an analogous configuration (I can think of music folders where ID tags are read and shown). And I'm using a 3-yo i5 notebook with a 5400rpm HD, certainly nothing super-powerful.

Also, why the 5 columns limit? What if someone needed more? I can think of, again, folders containing mp3s: you could sort by Album, Year, Artist, Track, Length, Bitrate, Composer,... If someone doesn't care about performances but wants as much info as he can get, why such limit?
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Marco wrote:If someone doesn't care about performances but wants as much info as he can get, why such limit?
I think first and foremost because the development has to be started somewhere.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:Why in the changelog ( http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 13#p100913 ) an excessive emphasis is put on the slowness of Custom Columns? I mean, I understand that you, Don, want to be honest, but this isn't good marketing. Browsing with CCs isn't (noticeably) slower than browsing in WE with an analogous configuration (I can think of music folders where ID tags are read and shown). And I'm using a 3-yo i5 notebook with a 5400rpm HD, certainly nothing super-powerful.

Also, why the 5 columns limit? What if someone needed more? I can think of, again, folders containing mp3s: you could sort by Album, Year, Artist, Track, Length, Bitrate, Composer,... If someone doesn't care about performances but wants as much info as he can get, why such limit?
1. The changelog is not about marketing.
2. Truth can be ok, even in marketing.
3. They *are* notably slower here.

--

4. I like limits. :) But in fact I might go up to 7 columns... In a later version I will provide ways to show all the shell columns you want at once (but not as configurable Custom Columns).

Marco

Post by Marco »

I understand. I just think it would be a pity if users out there in the internetz, who might be reading about the development of XY, see the changelog and assume that CCs are slow because "hey, the developer says so" and get a negative idea of the whole XY. Slowness/speed heavily depends on the system config, at least here.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, I'll take care. :)

Anybody else thinks 7 columns is better than 5?

Marco

Post by Marco »

Seven simply is a better number. See, its page on wikipedia is longer than the one about five :D

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:Anybody else thinks 7 columns is better than 5?
I think it should be based on the version of Windows.

Windows 7 = 7 columns.
Windows 8 = 8 columns.
Server 2012 = You guessed it! 2012 columns.
:twisted:

To be honest... if you're going to make it possible to add many shell columns outside of CC, then I'm inclined to say you should eliminate the 'Property' type entirely, add an ET type to CCs (thus merging Extra Columns into CC), and up the number to ten Custom/Extra Columns.

It seems dumb to push us down the path of using CCs for shell properties only to replace that with the ability to add shell columns at which point there'd be two ways to accomplish the same thing increasing the feeling of bloat. :?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:To be honest... if you're going to make it possible to add many shell columns outside of CC, then I'm inclined to say you should eliminate the 'Property' type entirely, add an ET type to CCs (thus merging Extra Columns into CC), and up the number to ten Custom/Extra Columns.

It seems dumb to push us down the path of using CCs for shell properties only to replace that with the ability to add shell columns at which point there'd be two ways to accomplish the same thing increasing the feeling of bloat. :?
No, no, that will come much much later.

And, CC and ET are totally different on so many levels, it's good to keep them apart.

SFXAudio

Post by SFXAudio »

admin wrote:The Select Property list should show everything available on your system. If Explorer can show that column then it should be listed in that list. No need for scripting.
Unfortunately MSFT, in all their wisdom, removed a bunch of the audio column functionality when going from Win XP to Win 7.

I think that's the reason why I'm not seeing the below parameters listed in the Select Property List.

-Audio Sample Rate
-Audio bit depth (the current "Bit Depth" option doesn't seem to be audio bit depth)
-Audio channels

These params are, however, displayed on the preview pane when clicking a single file, so there's gotta be a way to get them to display in columns...

Is there a custom column script I can use to display them? I'm working with uncompressed PCM .wav's right now.