Custom Columns

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom Columns

Post by admin »

binocular222 wrote:Not work with 13.80.0108
Besides, there're a lot of other bugs that make Custom Column unusable (i.e reset tree make CC disappear). It's due to my settings (not happens in ::fresh). Therefore, I request user.ini yesterday http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11216
Please consider this request.
:veryconfused:

Unusable? Well, this is in BETA state.

So let's see your bugs:

> reset tree make CC disappear
Huh???? Not here. Anybody?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

State of affairs: I still have to inject one layer of abstraction between the custom columns and the column definitions, then we will have context-sensitive custom columns, one of the best features ever added to XY and a nothing less than a revolution in file management. My antipodal epigone will take at least 3 weeks to emulate it in his usual clumsy way. :beer:

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:My antipodal epigone will take at least 3 weeks to emulate it in his usual clumsy way. :beer:
:mrgreen:

:beer: (for the lack of a wine glass).

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:Well, the pilcrow is universally recognized as a CRLF pair and you can't type (easily) a pilcrow with a keyboard, ergo they really mean a newline.
A double space can be intentional as a mean, as SkyFrontier says, of indentation, or just a typo, ergo they don't fully convey the sense of newline.

0.02£
Agreed.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Uhm... I'm currently having new ideas... I might rewrite the whole thing, LOL, but kanzen rules... :ninja:

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:OK, I did a bit of meditation and still fail to see why Extra Tags and Custom Columns should be joined. They are just too different. But it's not that important.
Indeed this isn't truly that important - the best looking hammer drives nails no better than an ugly one.

However, I never argued that Extra Tags and Custom Columns should be joined. Instead the marriage should be between Extra Columns and Custom Columns.

Thus far, I see 3 separate features:
1) Extra Tags - Five extra fields that allow the user to tag items with data of their desired format.
2) Extra Columns - Five columns corresponding to Extra Tags for displaying their information in the List. Currently they also serve as the only non-scripting way to configure and modify the Extra Tags.
3) Custom Columns - These are columns that the user can define to show custom information.

My argument is that the ability to configure Extra Tags should not require the user go through Extra Columns - this is too difficult to discover, impossible to reach via keyboard, and not very useful in non-Details list views.

Giving Extra Tags better placement lessens the differences between Extra Columns and Custom Columns and makes it obvious that they should be combined. This in turns provides some much needed cohesion between two disjointed features that had some overlap (Extra Tags/Extra Columns and Custom Columns) and gives a better feeling of integration across XY.

Now I'll go back to pondering which hammer sells better... ;)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One reason to confine the configuration to the column right-click was that I could easily hide it from the free version this way. It is also a bit lighter.

But, let's wait for the things to come. I'm currently rethinking the whole Custom Column business and hope to come up with something much better: easier, more powerful, limitless, killer. :ninja:

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Thanks much for the pilcrow.
Helps immensely.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Proof of concept. Here is the world's first picture of a mixed column. The other columns are just shown for reference, they don't have to be there. Of course, you can customize the caption of the column.
Attachments
2014-03-12_101912.png
2014-03-12_101912.png (17.02 KiB) Viewed 1861 times

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Proof of concept. Here is the world's first picture of a mixed column (the other columns are just shown for reference, they don't have to be there):
Now, CCs start to become interesting for me. :appl:

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:whistle: Little tip: In the next beta all your custom column definitions will be reset to nothing! So, don't spend too much time in polishing your definitions today... :whistle:

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Filehero wrote:Now, CCs start to become interesting for me.
Totally agree, the mixed column feature will be a killer feature! It looks like we'll be able to establish a flag or priority column for the different files types and be able to display them intermixed in one column which will be great especially for folders with multiple file types. I didn't know it, but that's what I've been waiting for. :) Really cool!
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

klownboy wrote:
Filehero wrote:Now, CCs start to become interesting for me.
Totally agree, the mixed column feature will be a killer feature! It looks like we'll be able to establish a flag or priority column for the different files types and be able to display them intermixed in one column which will be great especially for folders with multiple file types. I didn't know it, but that's what I've been waiting for. :) Really cool!
Yes, it will be totally easy to configure. Which data is pulled for each cell is determined by the filename matched against customizable wildcard filters (*.wav;*.ogg ...).

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

Of course now I'll be checking the beta thread every 5 minutes... :roll: With XYplorer I'm like a kid in a candy store....
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

kunkel321 wrote:Of course now I'll be checking the beta thread every 5 minutes... :roll: With XYplorer I'm like a kid in a candy store....
That makes two of us.