Custom Columns

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Filehero

Re: Custom Columns

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:I hope you are around at 1,000,000! :mrgreen:
Wishful thinking. :lol:

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:Tip: If you are confused by this simply don't right-click the column headers. :)
The change log changes didn't really help me... I cannot think of any scenario where I would want the definition of the column to be tied to a tab. A column's position, size, and visibility should be, but not the definition. :?

It's not the mere appearance of them that I find confusing but rather why we have 4 different ways to define a non-default column: Extra Columns, Custom Columns 1-5, Custom Columns 6+, Soft Columns

It should just be: Custom Columns
The configuration of the Custom Column should be used instead to allow: Extra Tags, Property, Special Property, Template, Script, Mixed
There should be no limit on the number of Custom Columns and none of this treating 1-5 as superior to 6+.
*shrugs*

Now Soft Tags which are connected to the tab... that's an idea I could get behind! ;)

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

I also was wondering why not only soft columns exist, with caption, type, property, format, item type and filter. Now soft columns can be filtered only indirectly by custom columns.

One explanation I can imagine: the custom columns feature goes to freeware (and the soft will be paid).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmmmmm... play with it a little longer and you will see the light... :cup:

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Probably you mean that adding a shell column to the list is extremely easy and quick. And if one needs something more complicated, the custom columns can be used.

However, I don't like that Size and Date columns (Modified, Created etc.) are discriminated. Why don't they have at least the New Column and Show column menu items? (It came up when I couldn't add a new soft column before the Size column.)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

LittleBiG wrote:However, I don't like that Size and Date columns (Modified, Created etc.) are discriminated. Why don't they have at least the New Column and Show column menu items? (It came up when I couldn't add a new soft column before the Size column.)
Hm, right. Not that easy to do... I put on the list.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Thanks for the minimenu :-)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Note that those menus also pop on pressing the "ContextMenu Key" (typically located to the left of the right CTRL key). So Ctrl+ContextMenu Key will also pop the mini menu for the hovered column header.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Don, could you please make either the SetColumns or Get SC return a full list of available columns for the current tab for use by SetColumns?

I have a script ready to share but the above would allow me to present a list of all columns instead of only those visible, as returned by SetColumns(), which I think would be much more useful.

I was going to say just like the Show Columns dialog but SetColumns won't like soft columns that are missing their definitions, so... :?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Code: Select all

text setcolumns(, 1);
Not what you want?

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:

Code: Select all

text setcolumns(, 1);
Not what you want?
:oops:

I might have to strip out the visibility prefix but that should do exactly what I need.
Another wish granted before it was made! :appl: :beer:

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

This is becoming really good! Although you still are going to have a lot of work in terms of explaining all of these stuff in the manual. Even I had a hard time understanding all the things that is going on, (although to be fair, I haven't been here as often).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I'm not very excited about having to write the manual for this... :om:

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

Enternal wrote:This is becoming really good! Although you still are going to have a lot of work in terms of explaining all of these stuff in the manual. Even I had a hard time understanding all the things that is going on, (although to be fair, I haven't been here as often).
On this same note: I"m gonna have to finally admit that I have no idea how to customize these anymore.... When you first introduced the context-specific columns I was able to semi-grok, but now I can't find any GUI interface other than the 3 prebuilt lists of properties (Property, Special Property, and Custom Column). Where how do I define all these configurations for the different CCs? I've been trying to keep up with reading the change logs, and I remember that we're supposted to go to View > Columns, or Right-Click on the Column headers... But what else? :oops: :shock: I dunt get it.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's totally easy. :P I will soon explain it in the release notes... :)