Custom Columns

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom Columns

Post by admin »

SammaySarkar wrote:Add Checkboxes.
? Where, Why?

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

Checkboxes as a "format" in custom columns.
Usage: Column Script determines the state of the checkbox.
And/or as a "trigger" in custom columns.
Usage: Checking or unchecking the box triggers a script, or
Example: checkbox state determined by listitem's read-only status. Toggling the checkbox toggles listitem's read-only status.
Last edited by bdeshi on 13 Apr 2014 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Interesting idea!! Not now, but in a later phase...

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Just a remark: I feel a bit odd, that I can have 2 kind of custom column for the same property. I can have a soft column with the appropriate property or I can have a soft column pointing to a Custom Column which contains the appropriate property. :veryconfused:

If I want to add something quickly, I will do it as a New Column, and select a property or special property. When I know I need to configure something, I add it as a CC column in a Soft Column "container". And when I come across a folder which has enough files to slow the navigation down, I have to identify the quickly added columns, and turn them into a CC column to set for example the "trigger " option.

However, I can understand this because I followed the development closely. But I far from sure if it comes to a "normal" user of XY.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I know what you mean. This is clearly an advanced (aka geek) feature and there is room for improved usability. When the dust settles one will see what can be done.

This is the price you pay for getting pioneering stuff that you cannot find anywhere else. :ninja:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What about a 4th trigger "Hover"? Saves you some clicks... :mrgreen:

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

admin wrote:What about a 4th trigger "Hover"? Saves you some clicks... :mrgreen:
Make the hover time user controlled and I'd love to have that!
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You mean the delay before it's triggered?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi Don, Hover sounds marvelous! As SkyFrontier mentioned it would be nice to be able to control the delay before triggering (like hovering for info tips) even if in a tweak. Though personally, I'd probably want the hover trigger to occur quickly (or set it to a very minimal time) or I might as well click.

I saw your post when I was just about to post myself on another possible trigger "click" issue, again using makecoffee and wait as in this code.

Code: Select all

$file = <cc_item>;
 $row = row($file);
 $column = "name";
 $x = cell($row, $column, "x");
 $y = cell($row, $column, "b");
 makecoffee $file, $x, $y, 400, 400;
 wait 1500; makecoffee "";
If you hit ESC anytime during the image display, as expected, you'll get a "Script terminated by ESC" message. However, you will get a "Skipped by Escape" message in the column replacing the "script arrow icon" on any subsequent type click presses of any other image files. As a matter of fact, if you leave the folder go back and refresh it and hit ESC even before you click on the "script arrow icon" for an image, the image does not display and you'll receive the "Skipped by Escape" message in the column where the script arrow icon was. Do the same thing again go back to the folder refresh and click on the script arrow icon for an image it works, but as soon as you hit Esc even after the image displays and disappears, the subsequent clicks on the script arrow icons will display that message "Skipped by escape". It's like the Escape is staying in memory and has a lasting after on all subsequent attempts to view the picture using the trigger "click". I put a "return" on the end of the script but obviously that has a different affect where the script icon goes away after being played once, again that's as expected.
Thanks,
Ken
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

admin wrote:You mean the delay before it's triggered?
yes.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:What about a 4th trigger "Hover"? Saves you some clicks... :mrgreen:
:roll: I'm going to draw the line if you won't... On hover makes it too easy to trigger something without intending to just by forgetting to move the mouse away from XY.

This is just becoming overkill and bloat.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

TheQwerty wrote:
:roll: I'm going to draw the line if you won't... On hover makes it too easy to trigger something without intending to just by forgetting to move the mouse away from XY.

This is just becoming overkill and bloat.
Even considering the touchpad universe? I prefer having a single, unnecessary script triggered by hover as a potential cost rather than click-triggering several items on a list instead of just sliding the pointer, seeing what I want triggered by a slower delay of such hover.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

If you cannot move your cursor without clicking I doubt you're going to have any better luck hovering over the cell.

At that point there's better options than hover: a command 'Trigger Custom Columns' or new trigger 'Keyboard Shortcut' would allow those without any pointing device to trigger their columns.

Nevermind that most of the configuration and related commands cannot be accessed outside of the column header's context menu anyhow...

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

TheQwerty wrote:On hover makes it too easy to trigger something without intending to just by forgetting to move the mouse away from XY.This is just becoming overkill and bloat.
I don't agree with this. I'd say Don's expanding on an already nice feature. Like anything else, you don't have to use it if you don't like it. You could say that about info tips too. Set the hover delay such that it doesn't activate unless you fall asleep hovering on the click script icon or don't use the feature which I assume would be an on "Hover" option just as on "Click" is.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

It's not about luck. It's about comfort.
TheQwerty wrote:...a command 'Trigger Custom Columns' or new trigger 'Keyboard Shortcut'...
Both great, too! :wink: