Saving XY plorer configuration file elsewhere ?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
TheQwerty

Re: Saving XY plorer configuration file elsewhere ?

Post by TheQwerty »

Just to verify some things...
1) What is the path to your startup.ini file?
2) What is the contents of your startup.ini file?

Sorry if this feels repetitious.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

Stefan wrote: Generally, XYplorer have two main folders:
1. "Application Path" (AP) - aka "Program Folder", the directory called "XYplorer" with the XYplorer.exe and the startup.ini
2. "Application Data Path" (ADP) - aka "Data Folder", the directory with the application (configuration) data.
CookieMonster wrote: I have the startup.ini file located in the new ADP folder including C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer.
Stefan: "Application Path" (AP) - with the XYplorer.exe and the startup.ini
CookieMonster: I have the startup.ini file located in the new ADP folder

See the difference?

The startup.ini must be in the same folder as the XYplorer.exe, not in the ADP
Next, the startup.ini tells XYplorer where the ADP is located
Then be sure you have your configuration files and folders in that ADP the startup.ini points to.

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

I have the startup.ini file located in the new ADP folder including C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer.
The path to the Startup.ini file is located in the same location as the XYplorer program, because that's where it should be.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

CookieMonster wrote:
I have the startup.ini file located in the new ADP folder including C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer.
The path to the Startup.ini file is located in the same location as the XYplorer program, because that's where it should be.
Ah, I see. You mean 'inside', or 'below of'...

If you have the ADP folder in the same folder as the XYplorer.exe then the "Various Information" are correct.
But with this constellation you need no startup.ini at all.
What is the content of your startup.ini file?

Next you should check if you have the real configuration data inside that "C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data" folder.

Then check if you have write permission to "C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\..."
If not, your data files are redirected to "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\",
if yes, just copy them to "C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data" folder.

Or, best, let that nonsense be with ProgramFiles and have a folder you have write access to at first place. Even better on an different partition!

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

This is my XYplorer folder; and this is the file path within startup.ini - [Appdata]
C:\Custom Program Settings\XYplorer

The file path you see above is where I had originally created a ADP Folder Backup, that is the location where XY should be reading the configuration files etc. Instead XYplorer starts up with a default layout and in demo mode as well.

highend

Post by highend »

Code: Select all

rtfm "idh_mengo.htm#idh_startupini";
As always everything is there...

You either didn't use the correct entry in the Startup.ini file

Code: Select all

Path=C:\Custom Program Settings\XYplorer
or that directory doesn't contain everything from INSIDE the DATA folder (and NOT the data folder as a subdir)..
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

Solved ! :)

Borut

Post by Borut »

And as we are at this topic, a humble question... :)

Are there still no plans (or a user need) for the ability to optionally separate the program settings (primarily GUI settings) from the data coming from the file system (like tags, labels, history and the like)?

I see the present portability like compromising the security a bit, since one carries around much of the information about a file system on a stick.

What I have in mind would be a kind of partial portability, where GUI settings would be portable, while for some things that describe elements of the file system one could define a specific local place for saving them (similarly as is now the case for the whole appdata).
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, there are such plans, somewhere... In some cases it's difficult to draw the line though: e.g. Color Filter or Visual Filters (both shape the GUI) can contain sensible data or just patterns like *.txt. So are they GUI settings?

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Borut wrote:Are there still no plans (or a user need) for the ability to optionally separate the program settings (primarily GUI settings) from the data coming from the file system (like tags, labels, history and the like)?
+1 user need here.

Borut

Post by Borut »

admin wrote:In some cases it's difficult to draw the line though: e.g. Color Filter or Visual Filters (both shape the GUI) can contain sensible data or just patterns like *.txt. So are they GUI settings?
Yes. It could be left to the user to decide what is sensitive and what not.

However, I would find any step in that direction better then no such possibility, as it is now. From your point of view most probably the files which are now separate would be the first candidates to get the optional other position (like tag.dat etc.). Probably most difficult would be to split things that are now in the ini.

In general one can imagine that for "logical chunks of data" users could define either "standard appdata" or "secondary appdata", so to speak.

Just ideas...
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It would be a lot of work. I find the gain relatively little compared to the ideas I have for the next versions.