Saving XY plorer configuration file elsewhere ?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
CookieMonster

Saving XY plorer configuration file elsewhere ?

Post by CookieMonster »

Is it possible to save XY plorer configuration files elsewhere on a computer ?

If I recall correctly it has something to do with a ini file, if someone could be so helpful as to point me where in the documentation ? :)

grindax

Re: Saving XY plorer configuration file elsewhere ?

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 23 Jan 2016 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

CookieMonster wrote:Is it possible to save XY plorer configuration files elsewhere on a computer ?

If I recall correctly it has something to do with a ini file, if someone could be so helpful as to point me where in the documentation ? :)
I changed the value within the startup.ini file, when I save all the configuration files they are saved in the new folder I set in within the startup.ini file, but when I restart XYplorer, XY can't find the configuration files and my entire layout, catalog etc is gone and I'm left with a default layout :(
Last edited by CookieMonster on 10 Feb 2014 04:17, edited 1 time in total.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

You don't rename the Startup.ini file, you only change its content to point to the new location of your application data.
If you rename it and XY can't find it on startup, how is it supposed to use the info in it?

grindax gave you a pretty good step by step explanation for it!
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

I made a writing error in the post.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Ok, you corrected your post, but it still seems to be the wrong order to do it.

Did you first do a copy of your config files in the new location by "Backup Application Folder"
Quit XY
Edit startup.ini to point to the new location
restart XY?

AFAIR startup.ini is only read on startup, so changing its content while XY is running doesn't change the destination of your config files on save, but on next startup it can't find the config files there, so creates a new factory default set at the new location.

Hope that cleared things for you.
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

I never used Backup Application Folder to create a copy of my config files, I used save configuration files. That was the step I missed, maybe, I checked my alternative backup XYplorer folder and I have listed
  • - AutoBackup
    - Catalogs
    - FindTemplates
    - Icons
    - NewItems
    - Panes
    as well as my configuration files

If this is equivalent to what the Backup Application Folder creates, then to answer the question I have created the backup using Backup Application Folder, it just may not be recent except for the configuration files.
AFAIR startup.ini is only read on startup, so changing its content while XY is running doesn't change the destination of your config files on save, but on next startup it can't find the config files there, so creates a new factory default set at the new location.
That was the mistake I made, modifying the Startup.ini file while XY was running. Regardless the changes took effect, I restarted XY, but XY doesn't look in the new folder for the configuration files etc and the result is XY in Demo mode with all my settings gone :(

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Sorry CookieMonster but I'm kind of lost for words.
Reading (and understanding) what people write in reply to your questions helps most of the time!

First of all: No you didn't backup your config files anywhere by your sequence of steps!

I try one last time:

You edited your startup.ini while XY was running.
Then, by saving your configuration you saved it to the original location. (since startup.ini is only read on startup of XY, hence its name)
And on the next startup of XY, startup.ini was read - pointing to the new location, where there were no files at that point, therefore XY created a new set of factory default ones in that new location.

So in order to solve your mystery:

1. Rename your startup.ini file to xxx.ini
2. Restart XY (now you should have your original configuration again)
3. Backup your configuration files to the new location with "Backup Application Data Folder" to the new location, overwriting all files.
4. Exit XY
5. Rename your xxx. ini back to Startup.ini
6. Start XY (you should again see XY as configured by you, but now it's using the files in the new location)
7. If you're sure it worked , get rid of the config files in the original location.

Either it's solved now or you have to find somebody else to explain it to you in other words, 'cos as I stated above, this is my last attempt on this topic, fair enough, me thinks...

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

Sorry CookieMonster but I'm kind of lost for words.
Reading (and understanding) what people write in reply to your questions helps most of the time!
You may want to take your own advice. If you read the statement I wrote, about the Backup Application Folder.
To move your existing configuration I suggest using 'File -> Settings Special -> Backup Application Data Folder...' to create a backup of your configuration elsewhere and then after quitting XY, edit your Startup.ini to point to that new location.
You edited your startup.ini while XY was running.
Then, by saving your configuration you saved it to the original location. (since startup.ini is only read on startup of XY, hence its name)
And on the next startup of XY, startup.ini was read - pointing to the new location, where there were no files at that point, therefore XY created a new set of factory default ones in that new location.
Yes I did all this before you repeated yourself, but no one is stopping anyone online from repeating them-self.
So in order to solve your mystery:

1. Rename your startup.ini file to xxx.ini
2. Restart XY (now you should have your original configuration again)
3. Backup your configuration files to the new location with "Backup Application Data Folder" to the new location, overwriting all files.
4. Exit XY
5. Rename your xxx. ini back to Startup.ini
6. Start XY (you should again see XY as configured by you, but now it's using the files in the new location)
7. If you're sure it worked , get rid of the config files in the original location.

Either it's solved now or you have to find somebody else to explain it to you in other words, 'cos as I stated above, this is my last attempt on this topic, fair enough, me thinks...
Since everything is setup correctly; XYplorer should load, my catalog should load, my configuration files should load, one would think. Then why am I getting these error(s) ?

Could not create path C:\Program Files(x86)\XYplorer\Data

The application data path stated in 'Startup.ini' was not found and could not be created:
C:\Program Files(x86)\XYplorer\Data
Click OK to use the application path as application data path;
C:\Program Files(x86)\XYplorer\

Click Cancel to terminate the program now

I click OK and XYplorer loads in Trial version.

The path for my Startup.ini file is in the new folder structure. If it's not too much bother, that is :!:

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

CookieMonster wrote:
Then why am I getting these error(s) ?

The application data path stated in 'Startup.ini' was not found and could not be created:

That is part of your operating system: on default, you have no write access to ProgramFiles.

Solution:
- use a path you have write access to
or
- grant the group USERS MODIFY rights to the folder in question below of ProgramFiles

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Ok, sorry if I didn't read your posts properly.
You might have done all the necessary steps but since their order is crucial in this you still got a mess, which is apparent since it doesn't work.

I'm not trying to explain the order of steps anymore, reread the previous posts if you want or wait for another soul to chime in.

As for your (apparently newly arisen, since you never mentioned them before) error messages they yell UAC (User Access Control) which is covered in a lot of other threads on the forum, go hunt.

And that's it from me, sorry I don't seem to be able to help you any further on this.

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

Stefan wrote:
CookieMonster wrote:
Then why am I getting these error(s) ?

That is part of your operating system: on default, you have no write access to ProgramFiles.

Solution:
- use a path you have write access to
or
- grant the group USERS MODIFY rights to the folder in question below of ProgramFiles

Why does it want to write to XYplorer/data ever since I changed the startup path within startup.ini ?

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

If the Startup.ini path is changed and a backup application folder was created, then I restart XY, shouldn't my catalogs and configuration files load based on the new location ?

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

CookieMonster wrote:If the Startup.ini path is changed
and a backup application folder was created,
then I restart XY, shouldn't my catalogs and configuration files load based on the new location ?
Only if you have moved your 'catalogs and configuration files' to that new location too.

I don't know how educated you are with XYplorer files and location?
So you may want to read my summarization about that, written over there >>> http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... 408#p61408

Generally, XYplorer have two main folders:
1. "Application Path" (AP) - aka "Program Folder", the directory called "XYplorer" with the XYplorer.exe and the startup.ini
2. "Application Data Path" (ADP) - aka "Data Folder", the directory with the application (configuration) data.

If you have no startup.ini, the ADP is just a sub folder maned "Data" in the "Program Folder".
If you have a startup.ini, the setting "[Appdata] Path=" points to the used ADP, named "XYplorer" there too.
(On default: " %appdata%\XYplorer". You can see where your ADP is located by utilizing "Help > Various Information" too)

In the ADP there are the INI's like XYplorer.ini and all other settings like catalogs, pane settings and scripts.

If you change the path to the ADP in the startup.ini,.... you have to move the whole ADP folder too to that new location. Or you get an fresh XYplorer setup.

Tip: if your ADP folder was under ProgramFiles, WindowsTM may have redirected all Data files to
"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\"

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

Various Information is telling me the following;
App: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe
Ini File: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data\XYplorer.ini
App Data Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data\
Pane 1 Data Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data\Panes\1\
Pane 2 Data Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data\Panes\2\
Catalogs Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data\Catalogs\
Icons Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data\Icons\
New Items Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data\NewItems\
Scripts Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data\Scripts\
Thumbs Cache: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data\Thumbnails\
Catalog: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data\Catalogs\CatalogNew.dat
Tags Database: C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data\tag.dat
I have the startup.ini file located in the new ADP folder including C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer. XY is not reading the ADP folder from it's new location otherwise I assume the Various information would have changed.