Free and Beta

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
nerdweed

Re: Free and Beta

Post by nerdweed »

Don, how about any new installation would be 30 day trial and then go to free version.

Free users might not want to see the nag nor require a feature that they would lose in 30 days. As an alternative, the initial nag screen can include a button to use free from the start itself. You save yourself the hassle of uploading multiple versions.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

serendipity wrote:
admin wrote:I won't stop you. ;)
Done
Thanks! :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nerdweed wrote:Don, how about any new installation would be 30 day trial and then go to free version.

Free users might not want to see the nag nor require a feature that they would lose in 30 days. As an alternative, the initial nag screen can include a button to use free from the start itself. You save yourself the hassle of uploading multiple versions.
Not sure which problem you want to solve. :) There is no problem.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

BTW, there is also this site which needs to be informed: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... anager.htm

Thanks to whom it may concern. ;)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:BTW, there is also this site which needs to be informed: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... anager.htm

I'll try and find my username for there or re-register if I can't in next day if someone doesn't beat me to it...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Enternal

Post by Enternal »

Aargh. I informed portablefreeware.com several days ago but it seems they're still in the process of checking it. Hope it gets up on their front page soon.

@serendipity
Thanks! I really dislike having to open up a new account so that saved me a bit lol.

EDIT: So I attempted to join Gizmo and post about XYplorerFree and... the system software apparently thought I was a spammer because I posted links back to XYplorer's site so I was perma-banned instead. Wonderful. Hopefully, the admin gets my email soon so that I can post. Unless j_c_hallgren beats me to it.

EDIT2: Can't email the admin for the site because the email form thinks I'm a spammer as well. This brings back memories as to why I hated the commenting system and email system here before I lost my account info. The spam filter is too spam-trigger-happy.

EDIT3: I spend the last hour trying to send an email to the admin and it continuously triggered the spam filter. I really hate this system. I got it through before in the past although I spend 3 hours editing it until it passes the spam filter. I really don't feel I want to do that now. j_c_hallgren, could you please find a way to contact the admin or mod to fix this problem? My username on there is also Enternal. This is precisely the reason why I left that site community years ago because the spam filter has a mind of its own and I could not contribute much without being flagged.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gosh, horror. Thanks for wasting your time with this! ;)

BTW, your man at http://www.portablefreeware.com probably and simply has a UAC problem if he installed XYF (XYplorerFree) in a UAC protected location.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:BTW, there is also this site which needs to be informed: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... anager.htm

I'll try and find my username for there or re-register if I can't in next day if someone doesn't beat me to it...
BTW, XY is now also the Best Free Duplicate File Remover. :biggrin:

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

Enternal wrote:
EDIT: So I attempted to join Gizmo and post about XYplorerFree and... the system software apparently thought I was a spammer because I posted links back to XYplorer's site so I was perma-banned instead. Wonderful. Hopefully, the admin gets my email soon so that I can post. Unless j_c_hallgren beats me to it.
Somewhat similar experience last evening. Did not want to register, so went to Contact and filled the form with appropriate info and when i hit submit it flagged me to be a spammer. I had to click some other link to prove that I am not a spammer and they will hopefully clear me of it i think. What a terrible system!
I think i will just register and post a suggestion for XYplorerFree

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

serendipity wrote:
Enternal wrote:EDIT: So I attempted to join Gizmo and post about XYplorerFree and... the system software apparently thought I was a spammer because I posted links back to XYplorer's site so I was perma-banned instead. Wonderful. Hopefully, the admin gets my email soon so that I can post. Unless j_c_hallgren beats me to it.
Somewhat similar experience last evening. Did not want to register, so went to Contact and filled the form with appropriate info and when i hit submit it flagged me to be a spammer. I had to click some other link to prove that I am not a spammer and they will hopefully clear me of it i think. What a terrible system!
I think i will just register and post a suggestion for XYplorerFree
Yup - agree! Here's the email I just sent to Gizmo:
I just now registered as you can see BUt when I tried to post the following comment to XYplorer, it was blocked for spam! Huh??? Why???

Thanks, George for posting that! It's actually at v13.60 from Jan 2, 2014.
Reading some prior posts here, (and in full disclosure since I'm a XY fanatic being the 2nd most frequent poster on the XY forum), I'll note that while it has many dozens of new features since the last free vers, there are still a small handful of things that it doesn't do yet, but which are/will be in development this year. And most all of those items can be done in other ways or via workarounds so it's not a real handicap to the users who need those functions. The things that XY now CAN do as compared to other FM's more than makes up for any deficiencies to almost all the users we see on the XY forum.
The newer XYplorer (Free) has some features which are unique to this FM which can make file management easier so PLEASE check it out, ok? Thanks!
P.S. XYplorer support is likely the BEST of any FM product as bugs/wishes are usually addressed VERY quickly...please not, however, the free vers will only be updated when a new Official release happens, which is normally monthly so if you have a critical bug in between those dates, you may need to wait unless you choose to use the 30-day Trial vers during that time.

Ok, so I was 99% sure that I'd had used this ID some years ago on your site so entered it on "forgot password" but guess I'd used another variant...did that cause the ID to be blocked? If so, that's NOT a polite way to handle things.

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 10:27 AM, <gizmo@techsupportalert.com> wrote:

Hi j_c_hallgren,

I'd like to thank you for registering at our community site. You are now fully registered and once logged in, you can now make comments to our articles and post new forum topics. Additionally when logged in, any comments you make to articles will now be attributed to your username.

You may now log in to http://www.techsupportalert.com/user with username: j_c_hallgren and the password you chose at the time of registration. If you have forgotten your password you can request a new password here:

But on a positive note, seems that one of their existing users George has taken note via this comment, which is what I was attempting to reply to: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... ent-113406
XYPlorer Free has been revived after 7 years, and is at version 13 now. A very good file manager to try out.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

j_c_hallgren wrote: But on a positive note, seems that one of their existing users George has taken note via this comment, which is what I was attempting to reply to: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... ent-113406
XYPlorer Free has been revived after 7 years, and is at version 13 now. A very good file manager to try out.
lol, just signed up to find out that George suggested it already. :whistle:
On positive note, XYplorerFree has been removed from RIP file managers and listed for review here, which is a good sign. Thanks JC, it was probably your email that did it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, j_c_hallgren. :beer:
... there are still a small handful of things that it doesn't do yet ...
Well, there are countless things it does not do and will never do. It's a file manager. :)
...please not, however, the free vers will only be updated when a new Official release happens, which is normally monthly so if you have a critical bug in between those dates, you may need to wait unless you choose to use the 30-day Trial vers during that time.
No. Of course, critical bugs (how many did we have in 17 years, I think exactly one) will/would be fixed ASAP in all releases.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yeah, back from RIP. What's the opposite of RIP ... WIW? (Work In War) :mrgreen:

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:
... there are still a small handful of things that it doesn't do yet ...
Well, there are countless things it does not do and will never do. It's a file manager. :)
I was referring to things like Win 7 "library" native handling and non-drive devices..the stuff that's on roadmap...but didn't say so exactly
...please not, however, the free vers will only be updated when a new Official release happens, which is normally monthly so if you have a critical bug in between those dates, you may need to wait unless you choose to use the 30-day Trial vers during that time.
No. Of course, critical bugs (how many did we have in 17 years, I think exactly one) will/would be fixed ASAP in all releases.
Sorry - guess I should have been more clear in my comment - I was referring to the things which are fixed via beta's but don't qualify for a special hotfix...things which may be "critical" in the mind for THAT user only but which don't affect most all of us...that's why I wrote "if you have a critical bug" vs "if XY has a critical bug" which is a different story.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I fail to see the point in picking out 2 features from the future roadmap of a freeware that comes with literally thousands of features and has a wide reputation of being a world class file manager, and that in a short email. Shrug. Here in Cologne we don't do this. :mrgreen: But anyway, XY is back from RIP and that counts. :beer: