Betas

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
surrender

Betas

Post by surrender »

Is it true that if i have a problem with any beta for eg. 5.20.003, i cannot go back to 5.20.002 from the beta versions page, unless i made a copy of each beta myself??
Now i am running 5.10.0051 because 5.20.001 or 002 or 003 are the same on the beta page and crash often. If all betas of the latest version are the same then i better make a copy of every beta myself or Don can offer individual copies for every new beta.

allen

Post by allen »

Just ran into this dilema myself, for the same reason . . . I wouldn't mind all betas having the same name if there also was numbered versions to be downloaded -- at least a few versions back from present. After all, it's beta -- and as great as Don is, bugs happen.

Fortunately, I seldom use the image preview or thumbs, so I'll survive with this version. A means of rolling back would be nice though. Maybe Don can use his new, handy auto dating feature to keep the beta names unique :D

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Well, ever since I use XY, I rename the betas when I download them and keep some of the older versions, just in case...
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Given that XY doesn't muck with the registry, and thus all that's needed to make a backup are the EXE, INI, and DAT files from XY folder, so to avoid having Don try to keep different vers around, I'd suggest before installing a beta to either make a copy locally of these three or the zip/exe used for install...now do I do this myself? No... :roll: Not normally...But I usually have some other backups I could use in the interim until a fresh beta arrives.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

zridling

Post by zridling »

Like Ralph, I always keep the last two betas, renaming them myself, but as Allen notes, the betas are regularly released, so it's never a wait for the latest.
- Zaine Ridling, The Great Software blog

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How to backup current XYplorer:

1. Menu Go | Go to Application Folder
2. Press Ctrl+Shift+D

-> creates a dated duplicate of the program folder