Minor glitch in text floating preview

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Minor glitch in text floating preview

Post by admin »

grindax wrote:A few days ago I opened a text file in the Quick File View where a single apostrophe half-way down the document was shown as a weird unrecognizable character. I opened the same file in Notepad++ where it was rendered as an apostrophe, but not the normal kind -- this one was curly rather than straight. I deleted the character and typed a new apostrophe in its place which sorted the problem. I didn't take a screenshot of the QFV at the time, so maybe we'll never know the reason. Maybe today's change has fixed that problem anyway.
No, today's fix only concerned the very first character of the text.

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Though it may have appeared like a coding advise, it was a user suggestion. As a user I wouldn't want to see an unexpected behaviour due to the differences in environments.

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 23 Jan 2016 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

grindax wrote:In a way it was a good thing XY made it so obvious a non-standard apostrophe was present, which allowed me to correct it. I don't know where the problematic character came from (I probably copied-and-pasted it from a website).
I've had similar issues with "smart quotes" created by Word in text that is cut/pasted as comments in my Chat-M-Room forum...these fancy quotes are slanted right/left into the text instead of being the plain vertical one...same for Word's double quotes...there's a setting in Word to not use these enhanced quotes.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nerdweed wrote:Though it may have appeared like a coding advise, it was a user suggestion. As a user I wouldn't want to see an unexpected behaviour due to the differences in environments.
I think the latter should be obvious. No need to mention it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

grindax wrote:...
I've retrieved an old copy of the file and stripped out everything but the offending line (please find attached).
This is your friend:
Configuration | Preview | Text preview: | UTF-8 auto-detection

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 23 Jan 2016 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

IMO, Word on the whole is very strange/annoying. :whistle: