Problems with Kaspersky

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Biggynuff

Problems with Kaspersky

Post by Biggynuff »

I DO NOT think this is a bug with XY, I suspect it's just a problem with my anti virus program.

I run Kaspersky which is constantly updated. I also regularly update XY with the Beta Versions to see updates as they happen.

Just recently, about a week or so ago, I started to have problems. XY simply wouldn't run, nothing, not even after a restart. After head scratching for a while I found the cause - Kaspersky AV.

Kaspersky is constantly reporting XY as a Trojan, which I know it definitely isn't. I've tried the settings in Kaspersky, nominating XY as a trusted app with absolutely no restrictions. XY runs just fine for 10 mins or so, then Kaspersky steps in again, ignoring my settings, stating that XY is actually a Trojan and blocking every action.

Anyone else any experience of this?

EDIT: Kaspersky report shows XYplorer.exe as being malware: Trojan.Win32.VBKrypt

This is absolutely impossible, as the file is direct from the XY website.

Don, this is no problem with XY, of that I'm sure, but many potential customers may use Kaspersky. Perhaps this is just my machine but I don't want it to affect your sales or put potential customers off

I know this aint an XY bug but thought this may be the best place for the post.

Thanks

Biggy

nerdweed

Re: Problems with Kaspersky

Post by nerdweed »

Even I faced this issue but didn't report it. I trust Kaspersky aren't aware of agile software development and the constantly updated XY appears like a trojan to it.

I observed that even if I trust a version and upgrade XY, it start blocking it.

I did the smart choice just day before yesterday. I uninstalled Kaspersky Internet Securiy.

Biggynuff

Post by Biggynuff »

Thanks for the reply nerdweed,

In a way I'm glad it's not just me. I love Kaspersky but I absolutely, completely and totally cannot live without XY, so if I don't find a workaround I'll be uninstalling Kaspersky too and looking for an alternative.

May I ask what you use now instead? I've been with Kaspersky for years but so far can't find a way to get it to accept XY and trust it on a constant basis.

Thanks

Biggy

Don: Any thoughts? This has only been for the last 3 or 4 updates. I'm not quite sure when it started but it was recently.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Don probably needs to go through the steps to report the false positive:
http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=13881
http://support.kaspersky.com/virlab/helpdesk.html

I'm not sure how responsive they are in dealing with these but it's worth a shot.

Biggynuff

Post by Biggynuff »

Thank you,

I've sent them this:

Code: Select all

Hi,

I use a file management program called XYplorer for everyday computer file handling tasks. XYplorer is updated regularly by the programs author and I trust it completely.

I download the updates directly from the author and do not, ever, use such software from crack sites. In other words, I know the software is genuine and no threat to computer users.

With recent changes and updates, Kaspersky Internet Security is reporting this file as a Trojan.

Please could you look into this to fix the false positive? This may impact on the program authors livelihood.

Thanks

I am a registered user of Kaspersky Internet Security and have been for many years.
As you say, not sure if they'll do anything but worth a shot. I wish I'd kept a note of which update it was that started this. It took me a while to figure out Kaspersky was blocking XY as this was happening for a while before it reported it was a Trojan.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks!

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

I use Windows Defender that comes with Windows 8. I got a free license of KIS and hence tried using that.

Biggynuff

Post by Biggynuff »

nerdweed, thanks again

Don - I've had a reply from Kaspersky. They've asked me to re send the exe file in a zip, they deleted the previous one by mistake, then they'll take a look at it. I'll do it now and update you if/when they reply.

Biggy

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cool!

Biggynuff

Post by Biggynuff »

Update:

So, I've had a further reply from Kaspersky and they are adamant that the exe file is infected with malware they refer to as Trojan.Win32.VBKrypt

You know, I know, we all know that this just isn't the case. I suspect that XY has it's fingers into windows VB scripting so deeply that Kaspersky has concerns about it, but I'm not that clever, so hey who knows? I've done a search for this particular malware and not really come up with anything useful.

I've tried some roll backs and finally settled on XY version 12.50

Thoroughly checked 12.50 with Kaspersky and loads of other online malware scanners and all (including Kaspersky) report no problems at all with this file.

The updated beta up to v12.50.0016 all show no problems in all online virus scanners using a multitude of virus scanners except Kaspersky, which constantly reports these updates as malware, regardless which online scanning service is used.

I guess it's just something in the updates and this will settle out in time.

Sorry I can't help further on this Don

grindax

Post by grindax »

Last edited by grindax on 23 Jan 2016 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

Biggynuff

Post by Biggynuff »

Yes, I agree entirely grindax that is a good possibility. I'd overlooked that to be honest.

Biggynuff

Post by Biggynuff »

Don,

Reply from Kaspersky:

Code: Select all

Hello,

Sorry, it was a false detection. It will be fixed in the next update.
Thank you for your help.

Regards, Ling Tu
Junior Virus Analyst

39A/3 Leningradskoe Shosse, Moscow, 125212, Russia  Tel./Fax: + 7 (495) 797 8700  http://www.kaspersky.com http://www.viruslist.com

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks a lot! :biggrin: