Breadcrumb of inactive tab works on active tab

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
nerdweed

Breadcrumb of inactive tab works on active tab

Post by nerdweed »

Don't know if this is a bug or intended, but if I right click on the icon of an inactive tab - that populates the breadcrumb for the inactive tab. However; the navigation happens in the active tab.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Breadcrumb of inactive tab works on active tab

Post by admin »

Intended. :)

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

So should this be moved to Wishes then

I don't know what would be better. Navigation happening in the inactive tab would help file operations, while the current implementation can aid navigation.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

nerdweed wrote:I don't know what would be better.
Me too.

I've just have reproduced your "finding". Now I also do wonder, what is the "better" way.

I'm leaning towards the current implementation, here's why:
- if I want to change the location of an inactive tab, I make it active and change the location by whatever means
- if I want to clone a given tab and its location I just focus it (if inactive) and hit "+" or <ctrl><t>
- but if I want to relocate a given tab to a path/sub-path of another one quickly without opening a new one the current approach is a good one, I think.

Cheers,
Filehero

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

The current behavior is clever but it falls apart when both panes are visible.

Attempting to display the breadcrumb menu by right-clicking an inactive tab in the inactive pane makes that pane active and then applies the selection from the menu to that pane's active tab. While I understand what is happening here I don't think many users expect this behavior.

If they are not aware of the cleverness they probably expect the inactive tab in the inactive pane to change locations and possibly be activated.
If they are in the know then they likely expect the active tab in the active pane to change locations.

Due to this I don't think the current behavior should be kept.

It should either always change the location of the active pane's active tab or it should get a lobotomy and change the location for the corresponding tab. :|

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Yes, it becomes fuzzy when inactive tab of inactive pane is clicked. I would prefer it changing the location of the inactive tab. It would help drag and drop copy.

Also, breadcrumb of inactive tab in inactive pane changing location of active tab in active pane would mean that clicking on inactive pane wouldn't make it active

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Understood, but right-click sets focus, it's the law. I won't break it.

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

I am not asking you to break it. I also mentioned the same thing. :)

Just asking you that Breadcrumb if inactive tab should change the location of inactive tab rather than the active tab. Not something I want to die for. I am happy with the current implementation as well.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah sorry, I somehow misunderstood "inactive tab" as "inactive pane".

No, this is a pretty old decision to have it work as it does and I still think it's good as it is.

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Okies. This has benefits of its own as well :D