a bug with drag and drop

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
itsme28m

a bug with drag and drop

Post by itsme28m »

Hi,

I don't know how i can tell this, but when you make a directory as a web based directory in frontpage, then you can't drag and drop that directory to a different drive or to another directory, in windows explorer you can drag and drop that kind of directory without a problem, so i gues this is a bug.

Greetings,

Steve

admin
Site Admin

Re: a bug with drag and drop

Post by admin »

"web based directory" ... never heard of this. No time for research now. What is it?

itsme28m

Post by itsme28m »

Here is something from a frontpage tutorial:

The folder list displays the files and directories in your newly created FrontPage Web site. Note that I prefer to use the term "directory" rather than "folder." They are synonyms. New Microsoft software uses the term folder; old Microsoft software and most other software use the term "directory."

During the FrontPage Web site creation process, if you specify a directory that doesn't exist, the FrontPage Web site creation process creates the specified directory.
----

It is more a small bug... you can drag and drop subdirectory's within that directory, but not the web directory. The web directory has also another kind of icon (a web icon within the directory icon), maybe it is just a network folder? i don't know, because i don't have a network, but i did make a website once and now that i wanted to transfer all directory's from an older hard drive to a new one i noticed this problem, so i had to copy only that directory with windows explorer

Hopefully this makes it a bit more clear. Can you drag and drop a network folder? (i can't test this, because i don't have a network at home :p )

Greetings,

Steve

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

itsme28m wrote:... you can drag and drop subdirectory's within that directory, but not the web directory. ...
What happens, you get an error?
Does it have a shell context menu? Can you move it via clipboard?

itsme28m

no error...

Post by itsme28m »

Hi,

No, i don't get an error, yes, it has a shell context menu, thesame context menu as all other directory's. I just can't click it and then drag it to another place, and try to drag it with the mouse click doesn't work either, when i do that, then at the point when i release the mouse button, the context menu shows up, and not the copy context menu that you have within xyplorer.

And, yes, i can move and copy it through the clipboard (well i mean just selecting the directory, do a ctrl-c to copy or ctrl-x to move it), to to the other drive and do a ctrl-v. Thanx for the workaround till this can be fixed. Since Xyplorer has more options to copy or move folders, i prefer the copy context menu ;-)

What happens? Well, actually nothing happens on that directory. When i click on that directory and want to move it, it just can't be moved.

Oh, now i'm talking about it, i just noticed thesame problems on system folders, so the problems are only with system folders or a web based folder, and not the files. And also, the problems seems to be only with the main directory, when i drag a subdirectory it works just fine. So maybe, when you try it out with a system folder, and you can work it out to be able to drag and drop a system directory (the directory has to be in the main folder and not a subdirectory), then maybe the problem with the web based directory is also solved :?:

Greetings,

Steve

admin
Site Admin

Re: no error...

Post by admin »

Whoops, I just happen to remember that I hard-coded XY to not allow drag-moving/copying system folders (folders with SYSTEM attribute set)! :roll: :oops: It's a simple safety belt to prevent moving e.g. the Desktop accidentally.
(I say remember because where I am right now I'm not in reach of the source code).

itsme28m

this is fine for moving, but...

Post by itsme28m »

Hi,

This is good for moving files, because if you move a system file then the change is that your system doesn't start up or you have some other problems. However, the real system files are in c:\windows\system, right? the windows folder doesn't have a system attribute, but all those system files can be moved without a problem, so the build in protection in xyplorer doesn't help in this case... I think it is better to always allow to drag and drop files and directory's that you want to copy, and the system attribute files not to allow to move. It's always a good idea to backup files, also system files (like changed system files after a patch is applied...). But also, it is only with the main folders, not the subfolders, so you could actually move the windows\system directory. To make a long story short (sorry for telling a long story already :D ):
- In any folder, it would be better keep the possibility to drag and drop it, but on system folders, only be able to copy them and not move them
- A setting within xyplorer: a checkbox for advanced users, when that would be checked, they would be possible to also move or rename system files (somethimes it comes in handy, like with drivers that causes a blue screen of death that has to be removed...), and also, when this checkbox is checked, automatically also set the show hidden drives, show hidden files and folders, show system files and folders.

By the way, you are very good at working on xyplorer... there are almost daily builds with almost every time a usefull function, very good! ;-)

admin
Site Admin

Re: this is fine for moving, but...

Post by admin »

itsme28m wrote:- In any folder, it would be better keep the possibility to drag and drop it, but on system folders, only be able to copy them and not move them ...
I check for dragability before I can know whether it's copy or move (which you can control holding CTRL or SHIFT while dragging). So I can disallow or prompt only after the drop. Pop a message like "You are copying [moving] a system folder... blah". I rather try to avoid interfering the work with messages...

Is it really so important? I mean, you can move it via keyboard (Cut+Paste)...

Other opinions out there?

BTW, I will soon add an option to disable all dragging operations! For all those folks that feel shaky with the mouse.

itsme28m

Yes it is important to me...

Post by itsme28m »

You can move it via keyboard (Cut+Paste), but, you don't have all the other options when you drag and drop it with the right mouse button. And those options can be very handy somethimes, and for most of them there is no shortcut key... For those who feel shaky with the mouse, the option to disable all dragging operations would be good, but don't do this for default please :p. Avoiding interfering the work with messages is a good thing... the best thing (i think) is put those more advanced options as an option, and uncheck things by default where the user can brake things like moving system files.

When copying or moving i ALWAYS use do it with drag and drop, through the right mouse button, why? because i always can choose at the latest moment what i wanna do. In the past somethimes i didn't make the right decision and somethimes i moved something while i wanted to copy something, since i always drag with the right mouse button this never happened again, also, when i drag with the right mouse button, and it whas not the meaning, i can cancel it in xyplorer. Oh... so just keep it possible to drag system files/directory's with the right mouse button.

I didn't make it clear in my first message, but it's actually the right click menu when you drag and drop system files that i missed and needed...

Greetings,

Steve

admin
Site Admin

Re: Yes it is important to me...

Post by admin »

Ok, I'm convinced. Especially since I discovered a blatant inconsistency in my "safety belt": you can drag-move/copy system folders from the list! So now you can do it from the tree, too. Simple as that. No messages, no options.
Still undraggable are Desktop and Personal (=MyDocuments).

BTW, stressing what you said already: everybody should always right-drag only unless she's in a very enlightened state of absolute control.