alt-tab while a file is being renamed

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
neminem

alt-tab while a file is being renamed

Post by neminem »

In native Explorer, if you hit F2 on a file, then hit alt-tab, it accepts the change, closes the rename action, and lets you get on with using whatever program you just alt-tabbed to. In XYP, most of the time it still lets you leave, but the XY window you just left starts nagging you to come back and rename the next file on the list; but sometimes it just refuses to let you leave the window at all until you tell it you're done renaming (immediately gives focus back to itself). I know it's a pretty minor annoyance (just hit enter when you're done renaming), but it has bugged me a few times, so I thought I might as well drop by and ask if it would be easy to fix? It already completes the rename when you leave a window by mouse clicking...

admin
Site Admin

Re: alt-tab while a file is being renamed

Post by admin »

It completes the rename on alt-tab here on XP and on Win7. What's your OS?

neminem

Post by neminem »

That's odd; I'm on Win7 Home at home, and Win7 Enterprise at work, and they both do that. Maybe some option turned on or off is the culprit?

Still, if it's just me, I can't expect you to be so excited to track down the issue and fix it. I hate when people file bugs and I can't reproduce them anywhere. :p

neminem

Post by neminem »

Ha! I was just looking for my post from this morning, and decided, for fun, to walk through memory lane and read all the stuff I'd gotten fixed or found workarounds for back when I was forced onto Windows 7 all those years ago. I've still noticed this oddity sporadically, and as I was testing it, it became, in fact, entirely clear what the difference was: if you hit F2, hold down alt, hit tab, wait a couple seconds then let go, it works as you would expect. If, on the other hand, you already know the next window over is what you wanted to open, so you hit alt-tab and then immediately release it, as I often do, that's when xyplorer grabs focus back and bugs you to fix it.

I'm not saying this is remotely the most pressing issue you should fix - if it bugged me that much, I would've been way more complainy for the past... 4 years, dang. However, now that you know how to reproduce it, if it turned out to be a trivial fix, I wouldn't complain, either. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Same answer as 4 years ago. :|

neminem

Post by neminem »

Huh, weird, I totally thought I'd cracked it. Oh well.