Properties gone + a wish

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
surrender

Properties gone + a wish

Post by surrender »

When i toggle between thumbs and details (the new button) the properties in the info panel is gone. i have to click again on th file to see the file properties.

A wish now: i want the list to auto scroll to the selected file when i change views. i always have to hit ctrl+space (twice) to find my selected file. Also, when i do shift+F12 i want the selected file to be visible on the top.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Properties gone + a wish

Post by admin »

surrender wrote:When i toggle between thumbs and details (the new button) the properties in the info panel is gone. i have to click again on th file to see the file properties.

A wish now: i want the list to auto scroll to the selected file when i change views. i always have to hit ctrl+space (twice) to find my selected file. Also, when i do shift+F12 i want the selected file to be visible on the top.
Ok and ok. Check out if it works now... :)

surrender

Post by surrender »

Thanks!! works fine now. Except, with shift+F5 the selected file doesnt auto-scroll to visible state.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

surrender wrote:Thanks!! works fine now. Except, with shift+F5 the selected file doesnt auto-scroll to visible state.
I never said shift+F5 would do that. :P And I think it should not.

surrender

Post by surrender »

ooops. Sorry, its a typo. i meant when i press shift+F12 (as in to preview a photo or so) the selected file is often not seen (unless it happens to be one of the two visible items in list). I was suggesting if the selected file can be made visible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

surrender wrote:ooops. Sorry, its a typo. i meant when i press shift+F12 (as in to preview a photo or so) the selected file is often not seen (unless it happens to be one of the two visible items in list). I was suggesting if the selected file can be made visible.
Yeah, man, I like it.

surrender

Post by surrender »

Oh nice. I love it. :D

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I'm somewhere's between :P and :x but DEFINITELY :cry: about this change!
I'll agree that there are times when this is fine, BUT..for me, most of the time, it's NOT!
When I'm previewing some files in the middle (vertically) of a folder listing, I most often want to keep mental track where I'm at and the other files above and below it also...now when I max preview a file, I lose "my" place in the folder!
I now have to scroll the list back up again after EACH max'd preview...not fun!

So...can this feature be made switchable/option driven? Please??? :wink:

Update: :oops: I now see that this only seems to occur mostly when in Search Results tab...on other tabs, it somewhat recovers "my" position in list...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Update: :oops: I now see that this only seems to occur mostly when in Search Results tab...on other tabs, it somewhat recovers "my" position in list...
That has to do with the number of items in the list.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I'm somewhere's between :P and :x but DEFINITELY :cry: about this change! ...
Yes, I'm not sure either. Up to now I like it but it's no doubt a non-standard behavior for a list-view. Is it worth an option checkbox? Dunno... I rather ditch it.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Well..having some way to select it would make both Surrender and me :D !

Cause, as I said, there are some times when I would find this feature to be helpful, and other times when it's a nuisance...so... :roll:

UPDATE Or...
:idea: IF the list position could be restored as it was exactly before the IP was max'd (or as close as possible), then ALL would be well, I think!!! :D
So if I had line #23 at top, and selected line #35, that #35 would go to top while IP max'd, but after IP reduced, #23 would be at top again..

IF that would be how it worked, it would be GREAT, as one could then see the file in list at all times, yet still keep it in context when IP not at max!
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

j_c_hallgren wrote::idea: IF the list position could be restored as it was exactly before the IP was max'd (or as close as possible), then ALL would be well, I think!!! :D
So if I had line #23 at top, and selected line #35, that #35 would go to top while IP max'd, but after IP reduced, #23 would be at top again..

IF that would be how it worked, it would be GREAT, as one could then see the file in list at all times, yet still keep it in context when IP not at max!
Agreed. 8)

I can see why this can be "bugging", but also why it's pretty cool to have it stay on view. And I think that overall, the coolness wins :) So if you can't/dont want to change how it works now and gotta choose between keepting it and removing it; I'd say keep it!
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:UPDATE Or...
:idea: IF the list position could be restored as it was exactly before the IP was max'd (or as close as possible), then ALL would be well, I think!!! :D

Naaah. That would mean to keep track of n (number of open tabs) top indices and panel actions. and what of you max, then do something else (e.g. scroll the list), and the later min the panel again... no no no. That would be endless...

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I was presuming that should one scroll the list while in max, that any prior position would thus be lost...yes, it would mean keeping a 'top index' for each tab, but changing it to selected entry on any panel up/down..

And if that is unworkable, then I'd politely but firmly request a way to disable this via option and handle it as before, so we all can be happy!