Can't find an "Up" menu item

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Gandolf

Can't find an "Up" menu item

Post by Gandolf »

There is no "Up" command in the "Go" menu to move to the parent folder. Is there a menu command anywhere that I have missed? I know I can use Backspace but since I was randomly viewing files it was easier to use the mouse, and I realised that I could not use the mouse to go to the parent folder. I had the tree and button bar off, just a list of files in order to see as much as possible of long file names.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't find an "Up" menu item

Post by admin »

It's the first command in the list's white space ctx menu.

But you're right, it should definitely appear in the Go menu, too.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

O.K. But with a screen full of long file names there is no white space, which is why I couldn't see it. I thought I must be missing something obvious.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:O.K. But with a screen full of long file names there is no white space, which is why I couldn't see it. I thought I must be missing something obvious.
There should be a "context menu" key on your keyboard left of the right CTRL key. This opens the respective ctx menu if the list (tree, catalog) has the focus.
EDIT: okay, you did not want to use the keyboard in the first place...

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:There should be a "context menu" key on your keyboard left of the right CTRL key.
FYI: I have that key on my 'big' keyboard that I used with my old desktop, but it's not on either one of my Dell laptops...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:There should be a "context menu" key on your keyboard left of the right CTRL key. This opens the respective ctx menu if the list (tree, catalog) has the focus.
But with no white space the context menu that appears with the Context key is not the menu with the "Up" command.
j_c_hallgren wrote:... but it's not on either one of my Dell laptops...
Yes, laptops are strange. My Toshiba has the Windows and Context keys in the top right, and they are small keys so not easy to use.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:
admin wrote:There should be a "context menu" key on your keyboard left of the right CTRL key. This opens the respective ctx menu if the list (tree, catalog) has the focus.
But with no white space the context menu that appears with the Context key is not the menu with the "Up" command.
It should appear when nothing is selected.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Gandolf wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:... but it's not on either one of my Dell laptops...
Yes, laptops are strange. My Toshiba has the Windows and Context keys in the top right, and they are small keys so not easy to use.
:oops: So THAT'S where it is! :oops:
After seeing your post, I looked again at my keyboard... :shock:
Above the F9 and left of PrntScrn, is...guess what? :roll: Context!
DUH!!! Well, being WAY up there, I never use it...so forgot about it!
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:It should appear when nothing is selected.
O.K.you win!! "Edit | Deselect all" and it does appear with the context key.