Move/Copy/Backup To

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
jacky
XYwiki Master

Move/Copy/Backup To

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:

Code: Select all

+++ Menu Edit: added Move To (Shift+F7), Copy To (Ctrl+F7), and 
      Backup To (Ctrl+Shift+F7) dialogs. Finally fast, easy, non-menu 
      keyboard access to these important file operations! 
Well, that's a great window we got there!! :D Very well done, Don!

Allthough I gotta say... it has a big flaw, if you ask me: it does NOT have a way to copy/move/bkp to either the tabs (Tab list) or the Favorite Folders !! :shock:

I'm even putting this in bug, cause that was (to me?) one of the highlight/great use of this feature, as almot all my copy/move operations I do through this are for fav folders !

BTW quickie: wky no icon for Backup To ?? It's always been a part of it, and has a shortcut, so...? Just couldn't find/make an icon for it, or is there something more to it?
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Re: Move/Copy/Backup To

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:Allthough I gotta say... it has a big flaw, if you ask me: it does NOT have a way to copy/move/bkp to either the tabs (Tab list) or the Favorite Folders !! :shock:
Hum hum... how? You have a vision for that? I could add menus to the window that help you filling in the edit field... hm
jacky wrote:BTW quickie: wky no icon for Backup To ?? It's always been a part of it, and has a shortcut, so...? Just couldn't find/make an icon for it, or is there something more to it?
It will come... I just had no cool idea for it.

Apropos cool: I'm thinking about a 4th operation called "synch". It's the same as Backup plus it removes everything from the destination that's not there in the source. Cool?

Statler

Re: Move/Copy/Backup To

Post by Statler »

admin wrote:Apropos cool: I'm thinking about a 4th operation called "synch". It's the same as Backup plus it removes everything from the destination that's not there in the source. Cool?
8) 8) 8) = very cool!

surrender

Post by surrender »

Sync sounds coooool. Go for it. :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

surrender wrote:Sync sounds coooool. Go for it. :lol:
Ok, now here's one for the english speaking XY community.

"Copy To" = Copy A to B = A remains unchanged, B is probably altered
"Sync To" = Sync A to B = A remains unchanged, B is probably altered???

Is that semantically OK? In my probably germanized reading, for me "Sync A" reads rather like A is altered (i.e. made identical to B).
I hope I'm wrong...

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote: "Copy To" = Copy A to B = A remains unchanged, B is probably altered
"Sync To" = Sync A to B = A remains unchanged, B is probably altered???
These both appear to be the same!!
admin wrote:Is that semantically OK? In my probably germanized reading, for me "Sync A" reads rather like A is altered (i.e. made identical to B).
I hope I'm wrong...
I think your "germanized reading" is correct. Sync A to B would imply to me that A is changed to be the same as B.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:
admin wrote:Is that semantically OK? In my probably germanized reading, for me "Sync A" reads rather like A is altered (i.e. made identical to B).
I hope I'm wrong...
I think your "germanized reading" is correct. Sync A to B would imply to me that A is changed to be the same as B.
Damn, that's what I feared. It's a source of confusion and likely mishap:
Move To: A => B
Copy To: A => B
Backup To: A => B
Sync To: A <= B!!!

Let's approach it from the practical side. I'm not into synching myself (got no laptop), so I need your advice, synchers! When you sync, where are you normally/typically: In the location that's changed to be the same as another location, or in that other location?

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

I use a program called Second Copy 7 to mirror files and keep them in sync. They use the term "synchronize" to bring both directories to be the same, using the modified times as the key. In other words, if directory A has some files newer than those in directory B, those files are copied to B, and vice-versa (i.e. bi-directional sync). Second Copy also has the ability to save multi-generational backups of the existing files before they are overwritten (which is a nice feature when an "oops" is made!).

So based on that, when I think "sync" I think of the newest file being copied over the older one...

Anyway, that's my experience...

andy

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

avsfan wrote:... So based on that, when I think "sync" I think of the newest file being copied over the older one...
Ah yes, bi-directional, that's breaking news. So what I had in mind is something else. So either I need another word for my idea (see below), or maybe my idea is not good, so I can use "sync" and don't have my semantic problem since source vs target is meaningless with bi-directional sync.

My idea of what I called "Sync To" was kind of a "decremental backup": only those files are copied that are newer (so it's much faster than a Copy To), AND files that don't exist anymore in the source are removed from the target. Result: the target is a perfect copy (backup, mirror) of the source, very fast done and without leaving fossiles in the target.
Maybe "mirror" is a better term for this?

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

Well, to me mirror would be more the same as "sync" (and would still cause confusion)...

but maybe
Update A-> B
or
Update B from A

or something like that...

I'll keep thinking and see if something else jumps to mind...

just thinking out loud....

andy

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

one more thought :

Exact Copy A->B

perhaps...

surrender

Post by surrender »

In a way it sounds like "Update". Leaving old files as such just adding newer one. Does it sound like update?? confused.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:idea: Or make the way "Backup To" works configurable!
Checkbox: "remove from destination what's not in source" (or so)

avsfan

Post by avsfan »

Yeah, that could work nicely!

Maybe "Delete obsolete files from destination"

does that cover it?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

avsfan wrote:Yeah, that could work nicely!

Maybe "Delete obsolete files from destination"

does that cover it?
Sounds good to me. Let's sleep over it...