Selecting text in file names.

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
jackpots

Selecting text in file names.

Post by jackpots »

I tested a trial of XYplorer sometime ago and found it good with a little quirk that prevented adoption.

In selecting a file in order to edit the its name, XYplorer differs from most, if not all, standard file managers (and itself in other areas) in selecting discrete words. So, if a file name is "World - North Am. - US.pdf" and the user enters the file name edit mode, click on name-wait-click again (or F2), and double clicks on the word "World" to highlight/select it, one would expect that only "World" and the subsequent non-breaking spaces to be selected. However, XY seems to include the hyphen and its subsequently spaces as well. This appears to affect other symbols and puctuations that are not directly attached to a word as well.

When the user selects words in filenames within the Batch Rename subtool, XY behaves as expected.

I am unsure if this has been identified as an issue or whether it was corrected. Thx.

Marco

Re: Selecting text in file names.

Post by Marco »

I too notice this behaviour, it catches my attention mainly in all the windows containing text boxes about scripting (e.g. the Try Script window).
My guess is that XY sometimes uses a "proprietary" algorithm for highlighting after a double click. I don't know if the mixed use of both XY algorithm and Windows native one can be regarded as a bug.
We should wait Don's reply for better insight.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

admin
Site Admin

Re: Selecting text in file names.

Post by admin »

Confirmed. Fix comes.