Thumbnail and icon not showing

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
slselwyn

Thumbnail and icon not showing

Post by slselwyn »

I have purchased and installed the FastPicture viewer codec pack and pdf thumbnails show in Windows Explorer but not in XYplorer v11.30.0100.
As you will see from the screen capture below comparing XYplorer toWindows Explorer, an icon is also missing.
Thumbnail viewing was added recently - it did not work porperly with the Windows Codec Pack so I was advised to get the FastPictureViewer codec. It does not appear to be working properly in XYplorer but it does in Windows Explorer.
Acrobat X Pro is installed.

Thanks
Stephen
Attachments
xyplorer thumbnail_icon problem.jpg
xyplorer thumbnail_icon problem.jpg (49.01 KiB) Viewed 4157 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Thumbnail and icon not showing

Post by admin »

PDF thumbnails work here (XP and Win7/64) with PDF-XChange Viewer 2.052 installed.

I cannot say whether the FastPicture viewer codec pack also works for PDFs.

slselwyn

Post by slselwyn »

Surely what works in Windows Explorer should work in XYplorer without having to install anything different. It's a big bonus for me to be able to see pdf thumbnails.
I am on Win7/32 with the full Acrobat X Pro installed, not the viewer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In theory yes, but not everything that works in Windows Explorer automatically works in other file managers.

Hard to say, why it does not work in your case, but PDF-XChange Viewer (which is free, by the way) AFAIK works for all users who have tried it out of the box. And I also think everybody here agrees that it is far better than Adobe.

slselwyn

Post by slselwyn »

Still no PDF thumbnails with PDF-XChange Viewer as the default viewer. (I agree that PDF X-Change is very good - I use it at home).
Could there be a setting in XYplorer that I have missed? I hate switching between XYplorer and Windows Explorer, it somewhat defeats the object.
Also I have not had a reason for the missing icon.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

slselwyn wrote:Still no PDF thumbnails with PDF-XChange Viewer as the default viewer. (I agree that PDF X-Change is very good - I use it at home).
Could there be a setting in XYplorer that I have missed? I hate switching between XYplorer and Windows Explorer, it somewhat defeats the object.
Also I have not had a reason for the missing icon.
Maybe an interference with FastPictureViewer? (Look for PDF on this page: http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/) OTOH, I have both installed and ther are no problems.

XY should show PDF thumbnails out of the box. Ensure that this is ticked: Configuration | Thumbnails | Enable shell thumbnails.

Do you see a preview for PDFs on the Info Panel / Preview tab?

slselwyn

Post by slselwyn »

Tried removing FastPictureViewer pdf codec - still no joy, pdf thumbnails still show in Windows Explorer.
Shell thumbnails are enabled - jpegs etc work.
Preview works.
Is there a reason why you cannot make it work like Explorer - you do everything else better?

Missing icon question still not answered - may be related problem.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If the Preview works then it's definitely caused by your configuration of XY. Can you try with a fresh installation?

EDIT: Oh no, wait a minute. It's the shell preview that has to work. What if you press F11(Floating Preview) on a PDF?

slselwyn

Post by slselwyn »

Installed Acrobat Reader - now can see thumbnails. Icon not missing any more either.

Looks like full Acrobat does not provide something needed.

slselwyn

Post by slselwyn »

Some more info.
Originally using Acrobat X full version as pdf viewer - no thumbnails
Installed PDF Xchange reader - no thumbnails
Installed Acrobat X Reader - shows thumbnails
Made Acrobat X full version default viewer again (change setting inside Acrobat reader)- still thumbnails

Perhaps you can make some sense of this :veryconfused:
F11 works

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cool. Happy that you're happy now.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hmmm,

funny, reading this I found only now that I have the same problem with PDF Xchange Viewer and FastPicture codecs. :mrgreen:

I see the previews in Win Explorer but not in XY (beta_11.30.0101). Already reverted the file assignment in PDF Xchange. In the info pane the preview works whereas in floating preview it does not. A fresh install doesn't change the symptoms either.

Anyway, now I need to watch Spain, one hot candidate the Germans will have to beat in the final. :biggrin:

Cheers,
Filehero

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Update:
After installation of Acrobat reader (including making it the primary pd-associated program) the thumbnail preview worked again. And after deinstallation it still does (haven't checked after reboot yet). :)

One of those voodoo fixes?

Cheers,
Filehero

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Voodoo is on our side.

BTW, does anybody know how to find out which app is responsible for a PDF-preview that's currently showing.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote:Voodoo is on our side.
Happy too soon. :cry:

My presumably working fix didn't survive reboot, I was simply fooled by the existing cached thumbnails. Now, I also reinstalled FastViewer codecs with the fancy XMP-PDF option opted out. Still no thumbs in XY. Seems that PDF XChange Viewer alone isn't able to provide a working thumbnail renderer to XY on this machine.

Since Win Explorer does show thumbnails, maybe it's just a broken registry entry? Any ideas someone?

Edit 1: Added image XY vs. Win Explorer; note, the PDF preview does work in XY
Dodgy_thumbnails.jpg
Dodgy_thumbnails.jpg (203.5 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
Edit 2: Along with the codec pack I also reinstalled PDF XChange Viewer to make sure its shell extensions get installed.

Cheers,
Filehero