InfoPanel Preview resetting while file updates in listview

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
John Bee

InfoPanel Preview resetting while file updates in listview

Post by John Bee »

Hi;

Just noticed something while previewing a text file (actually previewing anything) while there is a file being updated in the listview (downloading a file), everytime the file size was updated in the listview, it reset whatever is being previewed back up to the top and flashing the preview window as well.

Another thing, with the preview being shown, and this all happening, I could not bring down a menu without it disappearing at each update. I had to be fast and move the mouse cursor over a menu selection, in order to keep the menu from disappearing.

John

WinXP
XY 0018

admin
Site Admin

Re: InfoPanel Preview resetting while file updates in listvi

Post by admin »

I put quite some work recently into _previews auto-updating_ when the list is refreshed. Now you complain it's flashing :wink:

And that the file jumps to top is normal (depending on the sort order).

What can I do? Refresh is refresh. What happens in Explorer?

John Bee

Post by John Bee »

Hi;

Comments inline.
admin wrote:I put quite some work recently into _previews auto-updating_ when the list is refreshed. Now you complain it's flashing :wink:
I took a look back at my original message, and I fail to see how you can come to the conclusion that I was complaining! I was merely stating what I was seeing. ;)
admin wrote: And that the file jumps to top is normal (depending on the sort order).
*Not* the file in the listview, the file being viewed in the preview window. Whatever you are viewing in the preview keeps getting reset back to the beginning of the document everytime the other file in the listview is updated. I was viewing a text file at the time and when I scrolled down to see more of the text file (not the file being updated), when the file in the listview above was updated, the text file in the preview window was reset back to the beginning of the document.

Just means that you cannot preview any *other* file in the same folder as the file being updated.
admin wrote:What happens in explorer?
You seem to ask that alot. I use your program so I don't *have* to care what Explorer does or doesn't do. I don't understand why you want to compare XY to Explorer. Its like trying to compare a Jet Plane with a tricycle.

Like I said, it was just an observation.

John

Win2K
XY0019

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

John Bee wrote:*Not* the file in the listview, the file being viewed in the preview window. Whatever you are viewing in the preview keeps getting reset back to the beginning of the document everytime the other file in the listview is updated.
I had noticed the same thing while doing a MP4 video download...I was looking at another file (text) and it kept going back to start...I was too busy to report it as a bug...just put up with it...but now I'll add my "me too" here.
John Bee wrote: You seem to ask that alot. I use your program so I don't *have* to care what Explorer does or doesn't do. I don't understand why you want to compare XY to Explorer. Its like trying to compare a Jet Plane with a tricycle.
Tricycle? Maybe a F-16 fighter compared to a ultra-light! Both fly but nowhere at the same speed and not with the same ability to perform!
However, comparing to explorer is valid in some cases...since newbies would have likely come from that product and be most familiar with its ways of doing things...and thus prefer a product that handles in a similar fashion, but can also do many more things once one gets aquainted with XY.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

John Bee

Post by John Bee »

j_c_hallgren wrote: However, comparing to explorer is valid in some cases...since newbies would have likely come from that product and be most familiar with its ways of doing things...and thus prefer a product that handles in a similar fashion, but can also do many more things once one gets aquainted with XY.
Hi

Ya got to agree with you there. :)

John Bee

Win2K
XY 0019

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John Bee wrote:
You seem to ask that alot...
It's just another way of asking: what would a newbie expect to happen.
John Bee wrote:Just means that you cannot preview any *other* file in the same folder as the file being updated.
Ok, that's bad. So to tackle this, the preview should not react when the list is refreshed but the previewed file itself has not been modified. Ok?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Ok, that's bad. So to tackle this, the preview should not react when the list is refreshed but the previewed file itself has not been modified. Ok?
Correct! :) Even though I'm on a somewhat hi-speed DSL (768kbs), downloading a 200+MB file takes a while :( , and while that is in process to my C:\Downloads folder, I'm presently having "issues" trying to preview other files already in that folder...but I DO like having the list update with current status of the download!
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

John Bee

Post by John Bee »

admin wrote:Ok, that's bad. So to tackle this, the preview should not react when the list is refreshed but the previewed file itself has not been modified. Ok?
Hi;

Thanks, you fixed all. :D

John

Win2K
XY 0020