XYplorer is hanging

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
g00p3k

Re: XYplorer is hanging

Post by g00p3k »

I'm also having continual hangs, and have been trying various tweaks to no avail. I've done the normal steps of caching, caching network folders instead of reconnecting, generic icons, etc. I still get a lot of lag.

How could I debug/profile what step is continually causing this? it's gone from being a snappy program to constant waits for me and I am not sure if network folders or something else is causing. I even resetup from scratch, and then imported some old catalog entries in to ensure all config settings were pristine.

g00p3k

Post by g00p3k »

One thing (not the sole cause), that I noticed was I did:

Uncheck
Always show folder sizes

Check
Cache folder sizes
Show Item count with folder sizes
show folder size on properties tab

It seems to be trying do folder size check on network folders still, so maybe the logic needs adjusting on those checkboxes or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

This is not the sole cause of my delays, but in a new setup I noticed this behavior slowing me down as well.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

show folder size on properties tab: This will calculate the folder size of the selected folder if the Properties tab is open, also in network locations.

So you might try to untick this.

g00p3k

Post by g00p3k »

@Admin, thanks! I did uncheck this. I've got all the options regarding file size now unchecked, but I'm still getting terrible latency due to folder sizes loading.

Please note that a few months ago I was having no latency issues, no real lag, just great performance. However, right now the latency is so noticeable even after a fresh install that I've had to refrain from using as my primary file explorer.

I've gotten messages about slow mini-tree even after clearing history, as well as reinstalling. The only thing I reimported was the catalog with some shortcuts. Disabling minitree doesn't solve the majority of the latency. I've got all the performance optimizations I can do like generic icons, caching network servers (not checking on startup) etc. Still no luck.

Any type of log on performance I can dig through to provide better feedback? (and if needed I will put into a new conversation, just seemed to be relevant here)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

g00p3k wrote:Please note that a few months ago I was having no latency issues, no real lag, just great performance.
I'm not aware of any changes that could have caused this. You can test your theory by checking out old versions from the back catalog: https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php

Generally, calculating folder sizes is very time costy, but since we have caching it's blindingly fast. So from my POV everything only got faster here.

g00p3k

Post by g00p3k »

Significant difference in performance. I'm going to revert back to the older version for now until the cause is identified.

I went back to 16.80 and my browsing speed is back to no lag. The current version is much much slower for me at this time. Any custom trigger columns I've had were removed in my testing btw, as well as being click triggered instead of upon load of a folder.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm still not aware of any changes that could have caused this. And since you are the only one reporting this, I have to assume the problem is somehow related to your configuration. Let me know if you have any ideas.

g00p3k

Post by g00p3k »

Not sure. I would like to help provide some log or details so you can better pinpoint the root issue.

What would help you identify the core latecy? Is there a debug level setting I can enable and then proceed with reproducing the latency and provide that back?

I'm fine right now on the older version, but would like to ensure I stay up to date and identify the root cause.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think it's impossible to isolate this via debug logging. It's just too vast.