Catalog | Add New Item Here bug

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
JustinF

Catalog | Add New Item Here bug

Post by JustinF »

If you right-click on the catalog, select "Add New Item Here...", then click Cancel, a "New Item" entry is still created.

On a brighter note, the catalog is absolutely wonderful! I'm loving it.
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

admin
Site Admin

Re: Catalog | Add New Item Here bug

Post by admin »

JustinF wrote:If you right-click on the catalog, select "Add New Item Here...", then click Cancel, a "New Item" entry is still created.
Well, the idea is: when you click "Add..." it is added (because you clicked "Add..."); then, as a service, the properties dialog is auto-opened. When you cancel it, the "New Item" is still there. It is analog to create "New Folder": rename mode is auto-entered; when you cancel, the "New Folder" is still there. Why would you create a new item and immediately change your mind about it? And even then: press DEL and it's gone. So I think it is no bug.
JustinF wrote:On a brighter note, the catalog is absolutely wonderful! I'm loving it.
Me too! :D

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

admin wrote:
JustinF wrote:If you right-click on the catalog, select "Add New Item Here...", then click Cancel, a "New Item" entry is still created.
Well, the idea is: when you click "Add..." it is added (because you clicked "Add..."); then, as a service, the properties dialog is auto-opened. When you cancel it, the "New Item" is still there. It is analog to create "New Folder": rename mode is auto-entered; when you cancel, the "New Folder" is still there. Why would you create a new item and immediately change your mind about it? And even then: press DEL and it's gone. So I think it is no bug.
I found out about this behavior because after I chose "Add..." I immediately realized that I already had a favorite for that particular location, so I cancelled it. You're right, it's easy enough to delete the empty item. When you create a new folder though, you always get a new folder, it's something, but with this it doesn't point anywhere, it just takes up space. From this end-user's point of view it looks like it's a bug...like you didn't clean up after yourself. :lol:
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JustinF wrote:When you create a new folder though, you always get a new folder, it's something, but with this it doesn't point anywhere, it just takes up space.
You can add life to it later... You could even call it "-------------" and use it as a separator :wink:

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

admin wrote:
JustinF wrote:When you create a new folder though, you always get a new folder, it's something, but with this it doesn't point anywhere, it just takes up space.
You can add life to it later... You could even call it "-------------" and use it as a separator :wink:
You have all the answers. :lol:
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

pissant

Post by pissant »

I came here to report the same issue that JustinF did. To my mind, the items in the catalog are more akin to shortcuts than they are to folders. And let's say you are in Explorer and select New > Shortcut. What happens is that a 0-byte placeholder is created for the new shortcut, and the Create Shortcut dialog appears. But if you click Cancel, the placeholder file is removed.

Obviously, it isn't a major issue, but to me, the intuitive thing would be for the New Item to be removed if cancelled. Besides, that's effectively what happens if you select Add New Category Here... and then click Cancel (i.e. no new category remains).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

pissant wrote:Obviously, it isn't a major issue, but to me, the intuitive thing would be for the New Item to be removed if cancelled. Besides, that's effectively what happens if you select Add New Category Here... and then click Cancel (i.e. no new category remains).
Yep, convinced.