Question about context menu

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Ctrl/Alt/Del

Question about context menu

Post by Ctrl/Alt/Del »

I realize that many 64bit applications will not have a context menu option in XYplorer and have reconciled myself to the fact that it isn't happening any time soon. But, I recently installed Free Commander, just checking it out, and was surprised to see that it gives me options that XYplorer doesn't offer in the context menu.

Free Commander is 32bit, just like XYplorer. Surprisingly, it gives me options to click on for AxCrypt, a 64bit application, Malwarebytes(32bit), and Izarc(32bit).

XYplorer doesn't give me a menu for AxCrypt, which I wasn't expecting anyway. But, the inability of XYplorer to give me a context menu option for the two 32bit applications is kind of disappointing.

I uninstalled/reinstalled XYplorer, thinking perhaps it would pick them up but, it didn't work. Is this normal? I don't have "default items only in shell context menu" check-marked.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Question about context menu

Post by admin »

Free Commander uses a special EXE (FcContextMenu64.exe) to show the menu. Showing it takes almost 2 seconds on my win7/64 virtual box (XY's menu is instant), and it's buggy (it disappears by itself after some seconds). So, they call a 64-bit dummy process which then calls the shell context menu. I just wonder why it is so slow and so buggy. Maybe it's still in development.

Of course, this solution would be workable for XY as well. Only that I don't master a programming language with a 64-bit compiler at the moment. :)

Ctrl/Alt/Del

Post by Ctrl/Alt/Del »

Thanks, Don.

ogroeger

Post by ogroeger »

IIRC, TotalCommander is able to do the same.