Alt+Enter on multiselection

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
tedy

Alt+Enter on multiselection

Post by tedy »

I tested some of the newest versions and still don't find Alt+Enter to behave normally on multi selected items.
When I have selected more than one item/file, I expect Alt+Enter to open the summary dialog box as in Explorer. Instead, it opens the property sheet of the focused item. I have to right-click some of the selected items and choose Properties to get to the desired dialog.
Is there any plan to remedy this? I recommended XYplorer to friends and 100% of them found this a major flaw too. It would be the most natural thing to open the summary dialog - most of the time we select files just for this purpose.
Thanks.

(I didn't find a topic discussing this issue, if there is one, I appologise).

admin
Site Admin

Re: Alt+Enter on multiselection

Post by admin »

Admittedly I never managed to make this shell function work programmatically (outside using the shell menu itself). I'll revisit it later, there must be a way...

tedy

Post by tedy »

Don, any hope for a fix on this anytime soon?
Most of my acquintances I recommend XY to, still find this bug (not a bug actually) not acceptable. I can quite understand them as I use this quite often.
I have an idea - why not just imitate the property page where we can find at least the total file size of the selection and number of files/dirs (+ size on disk), instead of finding a way to invoke the system function?

I'm a quite basic-features user, no scripts whatsoever etc, but still use most of the basic features extensively. This, and a lack of 64 bit version (where I can use my shell extensions, at least those that provide only 64 bit versions) are the only major drawbacks I still see in XY today.
Last edited by tedy on 07 Nov 2011 12:42, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tedy wrote:Don, any hope for a fix on this anytime soon?
Most of my acquintances I recommend XY to, still find this bug (not bug actually) not acceptable. I can quite understand them as I use this quite often.
I have an idea - why not just imitate the property page where we can find at least the total file size of the selection and number of files/dirs (+ size on disk), instead of finding a way to invoke the system function?
No hopes for a "fix".

But your idea would be easy to do, of course. But this information is also shown on the Status Bar (apart from "size on disk"). So why bother?

tedy

Post by tedy »

Because this works on files only. The pain is with directories - we don't see what's inside them at a glance as with files and their "size" column.
I don't want the trouble to add a size column that traverses all directories to show a total size of some sort (I think I saw such a feature in XY somewhere).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I see. Will add...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Next version you get a new command Selection Stats. Let me know if the displayed information can be improved...

Code: Select all

+ Menu Edit | Select: Added command "Selection Stats". Displays 
      statistical information on the currently selected items (recursing 
      any folders). 

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

I like the "Selection Stats". However, WE, multi-select, Right-Click, Properties & Alt+Enter result in the same dialog. XY, multi-select, Right-Click, Properties provides same dialog as WE. XY's Alt+Enter is different.

I find WE/XY Property dialog to be very handy to apply attributes, etc. to my entire multi-selection and for the reasons you specified herein.

Unless I'm missing something isn't it just changing Alt+Enter to call the Properties (XY Right-Click, Properties)?
Attachments
properties.png
properties.png (27.07 KiB) Viewed 2255 times
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Shell "Properties" for multiple items only works via shell context menu. I never managed to call it programmatically for multiple items.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tedy wrote:...wishing...
So, tedy, what do you think of the new Selection Stats?

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

Very Nice. Would there be a plan to replace ALT+ENTER with this dialog?
Attachments
Selection Stats.
Selection Stats.
stats.png (23.35 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
Computer/Systems Background = Expert | Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) | Dell Precision 7720

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can map ALT+ENTER onto it.

Zardoz2293

Post by Zardoz2293 »

admin wrote:You can map ALT+ENTER onto it.
Fantastic. Now is this something that you are open to enhancing by having it work when the focus is the TV (Tree View) as well as the current List View (LV)? 8)

UPDATED:
In my tests, I find it misleading when you have the LV with focus it reports correctly. However, you click the TV which now has the focus but the LV still has the highlighted item, it will report on the LV when one would expect the TV (has the focus) Stats. Having it work for both based on the focus would eliminate this kind of feedback.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zardoz2293 wrote:In my tests, I find it misleading when you have the LV with focus it reports correctly. However, you click the TV which now has the focus but the LV still has the highlighted item, it will report on the LV when one would expect the TV (has the focus) Stats. Having it work for both based on the focus would eliminate this kind of feedback.
Agreed, I will improve this.

tedy

Post by tedy »

Yes, this is quite satisfying :), I tested it. Actually I find it better not to lose Alt+Enter for the default shell dialog, one can assign a similar shortcut (say Shift+Enter) for this new function, so Alt+Enter is still available for single items when you want to change attributes or anything.

After a quick thought, a workaround could be using something like AutoHotKey (I use it for years for many useful things) to invoke the shell dialog for multi selection. For example, alt+enter when in XY would execute series of actions like this - 'click' the Menu keyboard button and select 'Properties' - it would flash a bit but it would be fast enough. Something like that.. as a fix for those who want it desperately :) .

By the way, the behavior Zardoz2293 pointed out is something to think about - it's not necessarily a bad thing after all. If the new Stats dialog doesn't work for TV (when nothing selected in LV), it makes sense to still show the info if there is something selected in LV as it is now..

By the way, I'll use this post... the new move_on_inline_rename function is treated as a simple "rename" by the Undo manager. When the option to always confirm undos is On, when I moved a file this way, then tapped Ctrl+Z, a dialog stating a rename is to be undone, has popped up. I know, a move is like rename in OS terms but... maybe this should be made unambiguous, as move and rename are different things in xy anyway.