Incorrect icon showing up in file list

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
JustinF

Incorrect icon showing up in file list

Post by JustinF »

It appears that the wrong icon is showing up in the file listing for .sln files (MS Visual Studio solutions). Here is what's showing up in the list view:

The correct icon is showing up, though, in the status bar and info panel (this is also what shows up in Windows Explorer):
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

admin
Site Admin

Re: Incorrect icon showing up in file list

Post by admin »

JustinF wrote:It appears that the wrong icon is showing up in the file listing for .sln files (MS Visual Studio solutions). Here is what's showing up in the list view:

The correct icon is showing up, though, in the status bar and info panel (this is also what shows up in Windows Explorer):
Ah, another case of an extension with potentially specific icons, thanks.

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

admin wrote:Ah, another case of an extension with potentially specific icons, thanks.
So you have to make special cases for some file types? If so, bad MS, bad.
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JustinF wrote:
admin wrote:Ah, another case of an extension with potentially specific icons, thanks.
So you have to make special cases for some file types? If so, bad MS, bad.
You might see it the other way round: the MS OS allows files to have specific icons (per-file, not just per file-type), but of course retrieving them costs time (the file has to be opened). Therefore the OS allows you to retrieve only the generic icon for those files if time is more important to you than icons.

Now I found that only files of some few file types actually do use the specific icon potential, so to spare time I just scan those file types. Since I'm not aware of any documentation about which file types these are, I proceed collecting them one-by-one. Now .sln files joined the club.

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

Cool, v4.60.0007 enables this great feature MS has given us! :lol: The weird thing that I noticed just before upgrading to this new beta is that *.lnk files that pointed to .slns showd the "correct" icon.

Anyway, thanks!
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JustinF wrote:Cool, v4.60.0007 enables this great feature MS has given us! :lol: The weird thing that I noticed just before upgrading to this new beta is that *.lnk files that pointed to .slns showd the "correct" icon.
Not weird: LNK files have been in my list from day one.