Running in background issues

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Chris Wood

Running in background issues

Post by Chris Wood »

3 bugs: Minimize on startup, Allow multiple instances, Don't show in Taskbar

You recommend that users keep XYplorer running in the background minimized to the system tray if they are bothered with the long startup time. However, if you run XYplorer on startup to follow this advice, every time you start Windows you must minimize the window...

There should be a "minimize on startup" option. This would work especially well with the following:

While I'm at it, another option which would make it possible to ignore the long startup time, would be an "Allow multiple instances" option which many great Windows programs have. The default is checked, but if you uncheck it, XYplorer only allows one instance of itself to run. So if it is already running, and you click "XYplorer" in the shell context menu, instead of launching a new instance with the currrent folder selected, the current instance is focused and moves to the current folder (possibly in a new tab).

And finally a nice little thing which Donald is probably opposed to - an option to not show XYplorer in the system tray instead of the taskbar (a la Winamp).
test everything. hold on to the good.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Running in background issues

Post by admin »

Long startup time? How long is that? On my system it takes less than 1 second even with 10 open tabs.

"minimize on startup" has been wished before. Currently not possible.

Allow multiple instances: has been wished before. Is on my list.

Don't show in Taskbar: did not understand what you mean.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Well it's about 8 times longer than Explorer :p

Very noticeable, over a second for me with my RAID 0 array Athlon 3000 1GB RAM

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:Well it's about 8 times longer than Explorer :p

Very noticeable, over a second for me with my RAID 0 array Athlon 3000 1GB RAM
So it's "over a second"? That's not too alarming, I'd say. It depends a lot on your start path and virus scanner activities.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

admin wrote:So it's "over a second"? That's not too alarming, I'd say. It depends a lot on your start path and virus scanner activities.
Virus scanner=off. What do you mean by start path?
admin wrote:Don't show in Taskbar: did not understand what you mean.
Winamp has an option to show the application only in the system tray, and hide it from the taskbar. Like most virus scanners do.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:
admin wrote:So it's "over a second"? That's not too alarming, I'd say. It depends a lot on your start path and virus scanner activities.
Virus scanner=off. What do you mean by start path?
The path you are browsing to on start up. If it's deep in a complex tree, a lot of hard disk scanning has to be done to get all the tree nodes right.
Chris Wood wrote:
admin wrote:Don't show in Taskbar: did not understand what you mean.
Winamp has an option to show the application only in the system tray, and hide it from the taskbar. Like most virus scanners do.
Ah, okay. Not interested at the moment (as you guessed :wink: ).

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I'm confused slightly...isn't that what "Minimize to tray" config option does? :? It gets it out of taskbar so I don't have to Alt-Tab thru it, which I LOVE! And still keeps it active so I have it ready at moments notice. :D
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

I mean, even when you're using the application, it doesn't show in the Taskbar.

But in any case, I'm never going to be satisfied until each tab has it's own tree-view. I really don't know why any user would want a shared tree-view. Sorry to harp on about it, but it's THE biggest issue for me.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

With the new "App Load Time" in the configuration, I can verify my startup time: 2s.

Surely a little change to the XYplorer shell context item to make it open a new tab instead of launching a new app wouldn't be hard... This really stops me from using XYplorer all the time... it's not worth waiting 2s when explorer works instantly, even if XYplorer is nicer after it's loaded.

The other reason I don't use XYplorer all the time is integration with other applications apart from explorer, eg. GetRight or uTorrent, when you click "Open Containing Folder" or the like, explorer is opened... I wonder if it is possible for XYplorer to catch that message and open the folder in a tab instead?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:Surely a little change to the XYplorer shell context item to make it open a new tab instead of launching a new app wouldn't be hard...
Yep, you're not the first to ask for this. It will be...