New license policy

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Chris Wood

New license policy

Post by Chris Wood »

I'm very disappointed in the decision to make XYplorer non-free to non-commercial users. It is just not worth me buying (especially with the exchange rate). NZ$55.5 is almost 7 hours work at $12/hour... way too much, especially when Windows Vista will be released soon, and include a much-improved Windows Explorer.

So sorry to say, I will no longer support or test XYplorer.
test everything. hold on to the good.

admin
Site Admin

Re: New license policy

Post by admin »

Why do you post this in "Bug Reports"? Because of Windows Vista or because of Windows Explorer? :lol:

All the best
Don

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Because it's a "thing I'd like to miss in the future..." :P

I understand why you're doing it, you probably don't have many registering users... I'm interested to see how your profits improve...

God bless

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

But IF one is able to save more than 7 hrs of work time by using XY compared to Windows over the "lifetime" of use, then it would pay for itself...It may only be a few minutes at a time, but it adds up...you need to look at it that way...

And I think we all can agree that M$ won't be able to do ALL the unique things XY does...most of the users of my chat room are dummies when it comes to advanced things so M$ has to target to that market to some extent...Don can go for us who know a BMP file from a JPG...

Also, as I read the notice, it will have some nagging and features restricted if you're not registered...it didn't say XY would not run at all, as some pgms do...I put up with that nagging in some other specialized software that I use on occasion, simply because no other pgm I've found does that function...and I don't use it enough to reach the breakeven point...when I see that it might, I'd be inclined to pay...

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

:?: About those currency/hour nbrs...got me curious...so I used XE.com to convert $36 USD into $55.5 NZD...fine...but then 55.5 / 12 = 4.625 hrs...so I'm presuming that means working 7 hrs due to taxes, right?

In any case, I think I've probably saved 3+ hrs by using XY just since Jan so given the length of time some of the other "Top 10" posters have used it, the breakeven point should have been reached by now...
Last edited by j_c_hallgren on 16 Mar 2006 04:02, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Yeah, taxes. Works out at more like 6.3 hours, I had the taxes a bit high.

I've expended time on XYplorer rather than saved it. It is a bit arcane. But it is better than Explorer.
j_c_hallgren wrote:Also, as I read the notice, it will have some nagging and features restricted if you're not registered...it didn't say XY would not run at all, as some pgms do...I put up with that nagging in some other specialized software that I use on occasion, simply because no other pgm I've found does that function...and I don't use it enough to reach the breakeven point...when I see that it might, I'd be inclined to pay...
I don't like to use shareware/demos past their trial time, since it's actually breaking the license agreement.

tekNerd

Post by tekNerd »

We test it, we improved, and now we have to pay for it! Alrighty then!
Bye, bye now!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

tekNerd wrote:We test it, we improved, and now we have to pay for it! Alrighty then! Bye, bye now!
Is there any other similar product that has such a rapid response to requests for support, fixing bugs and that also uses many of our suggestions for enhancements? I really have to doubt it. 8)
There are so many products I use where even getting a reply from vendor takes days, if you even get one...and where bugs can stay in a product for weeks or months...and where submitted enhancement ideas seem to end up in the bit bucket. :P

And remember...it's not a big company or even a small company behind XY...it's one developer who like the rest of us, has bills to pay...I don't believe Don's trying a make a fortune from this...just maybe getting something back for all the hours he's spent working on it...besides our THANKS! :D

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
tekNerd wrote:We test it, we improved, and now we have to pay for it! Alrighty then! Bye, bye now!
Is there any other similar product that has such a rapid response to requests for support, fixing bugs and that also uses many of our suggestions for enhancements? I really have to doubt it. 8)
There are so many products I use where even getting a reply from vendor takes days, if you even get one...and where bugs can stay in a product for weeks or months...and where submitted enhancement ideas seem to end up in the bit bucket. :P

And remember...it's not a big company or even a small company behind XY...it's one developer who like the rest of us, has bills to pay...I don't believe Don's trying a make a fortune from this...just maybe getting something back for all the hours he's spent working on it...besides our THANKS! :D
+1

Leopoldus

Post by Leopoldus »

We test it, we improved, and now we have to pay for it! Alrighty then! Bye, bye now!
I don't think it to be very eccentric approach.

AFAIK it is usual practice to present a free licence those users, who contribute significantly into the app's developing (detailed bug-reports and beta-testing, translations, intresting additional features etc.). In this way a developer not only shows that he does appreciate users efforts to make the app better, but stimulets users for additional time spending as well.
In the opposite case one may tell, that it is not fair to demand the same charge from users, who have given much to raise the application's value, and from those, who have not.

CyGho

Post by CyGho »

tekNerd wrote:We test it, we improved, and now we have to pay for it! Alrighty then!
Bye, bye now!
I tested, payed for it, tested major improvements on speed (thx to the effort Donald put in to it).
Left here behind with that warm fussy feeling that i did something right with paying for it. I don't regred it for a minute.
Software: should we be aware because it's soft ? I like to think not !

tekNerd

Post by tekNerd »

Ya, well I didn't do that much! But I was in love with trackerV3 then he changed this beautiful name in XYplore-although is catchy it has something to do with explorer, now the new policy...I am back to explorer. I miss tabs a lot, but with all the addons that I have it feels like I am using a real file manager! :lol:
The beautiful thing about explorer is that is not that ugly after a little bit of customization.
I wish to admin and XYplorer only well and I hope he will have many, many, many registered users!
I'm out! (for now)