New version (Beta) extemely slow (and some old bugs)

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Creat

New version (Beta) extemely slow (and some old bugs)

Post by Creat »

Hi,

I have a few folder with alot of 350 MB AVi files (around 300 in one, 150 in another) and even selecting files takes about 1 second each. Also CPU utilization goes to about 50% and if a video is playing (in media player classic) it starts to stutter everytime I even just select a file.

But my main concern is that I'm still not able to use XYplorer when a copy is underway. All (most?) keyboard shortcuts still don't work and I can't start another copy. I often can't even just use the listview anymore.

Just as a note: I really like this program, and it has many virtues but unless this is finally fixed I won't buy it when the license changes, in fact this is what kept me from buying one so far. I'd just go back to an older version or even Windows Explorer.

If I can do ANYTHING to help you figure out the reason for this copy-issue I will do it of course.

bye
Creat

Creat

Post by Creat »

I just figured out that the delay and CPU intensitivity is caused by the tooltips beeing either generated or displayed.

Anyway... Turning them off removes the problem, but also the tooltips ;)

bye
Creat

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Creat wrote:Anyway... Turning them off removes the problem, but also the tooltips ;)
Yeah sounds familiar here; so I'll just say you can use Show tooltips only when overing icon; saves the CPU trouble when working and keep the tooltip available just there ;)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Creat wrote:I just figured out that the delay and CPU intensitivity is caused by the tooltips beeing either generated or displayed.
Some of the information gathered for the file info tips involves file access. In Configuration/File Info Tips you can configure which information is gathered.

admin
Site Admin

Re: New version (Beta) extemely slow (and some old bugs)

Post by admin »

Creat wrote:But my main concern is that I'm still not able to use XYplorer when a copy is underway. All (most?) keyboard shortcuts still don't work and I can't start another copy. I often can't even just use the listview anymore.
OK, there is some interference with drag'n'drop. If I copy by drag'n'drop I experience what you describe. But if I copy by keyboard (Ctrl+C/V) I can have unlimited file operations simultaneously and the interface is not blocked at all. Can you confirm this?

Creat

Post by Creat »

yes actually, as soon as a copy is started by drag and drop no more are possible. YAY, so sticking to keyboard works as a workaround, been looking for one for ages :)

bye
Creat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Creat wrote:yes actually, as soon as a copy is started by drag and drop no more are possible. YAY, so sticking to keyboard works as a workaround, been looking for one for ages :)
Great, that's what I wanted to hear. :D I'll ASAP rewrite the d'n'd code so that you can have multiple parallel file operations also with d'n'd. Scheduled to beginning of April...

BTW: also menu and toolbar commands work as workaround. Just d'n'd has this problem.

admin
Site Admin

Re: New version (Beta) extemely slow (and some old bugs)

Post by admin »

Creat wrote:Just as a note: I really like this program, and it has many virtues but unless this is finally fixed I won't buy it when the license changes, in fact this is what kept me from buying one so far. I'd just go back to an older version or even Windows Explorer.
Ok, you know how to make me work! This statement was just too painful to bear. :wink: I spent the better of 2 days to make it work like it admittedly should. Check it out, now you can d'n'd-trigger any number of simultaneous file operations.
Weirdly (and actually independent of d'n'd or otherwise-triggered) the menu command keyboard shortcuts (and only those that are managed by VB, e.g. Ctrl+A, but not e.g. Ctrl+C/V, which I manage myself) do not respond while the file operation progress dialogue is visible. Shrugg.

Creat

Post by Creat »

YAY! Oh this is just wonderful! I've been waiting so long for this... AMAZING :)

Thank you so much for fixing this, it might be hard to imagine but the way I work (and I like that way ;) I just need multiple D'n'D operations :)

so this has really been an important issue for me!

EDIT: I just noticed that this also fixed another bug I found and was about to report, where everytime I dragged mp3s into winamp the folder would be refreshed, causing a displaying problem. luckily that one's gone too :D

Thanks again!
Creat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Creat wrote:YAY! Oh this is just wonderful! I've been waiting so long for this... AMAZING :)

Thank you so much for fixing this, it might be hard to imagine but the way I work (and I like that way ;) I just need multiple D'n'D operations :)

so this has really been an important issue for me!

Thanks again!
Creat
Great, it was some work so I'm really happy you like it! :D And of course it's an important improvement. For me, removing a limitation feels better than adding a new feature. Well, maybe not always... :wink: