Thumbnail cache not smart

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Chris Wood

Thumbnail cache not smart

Post by Chris Wood »

Thumbnails are recached when files are moved. I'm guessing that old thumbnails aren't deleted either...

There are two other related bugs:
When you rename a file, the thumbnail disappears and you have to click on another folder and then back to the folder to see it.

Thumbnails towards the end of large lists of thumbnails are sometimes not displayed when you first load them (you have to refresh the view as above to see them).
test everything. hold on to the good.

Chris Wood

Thumbnails not recached when max size is changed

Post by Chris Wood »

Also, thumbnails are not recached when max size is changed.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Thumbnail cache not smart

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:Thumbnails are recached when files are moved
Yes.
Chris Wood wrote:I'm guessing that old thumbnails aren't deleted either...
No, their place is flagged as free internally.
Chris Wood wrote:When you rename a file, the thumbnail disappears and you have to click on another folder and then back to the folder to see it.
Fixed now.
Chris Wood wrote:Thumbnails towards the end of large lists of thumbnails are sometimes not displayed when you first load them (you have to refresh the view as above to see them).
Not here. How large is large?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Thumbnails not recached when max size is changed

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:Also, thumbnails are not recached when max size is changed.
Fixed. Had to redefine cache format to do this: all your cache files will be rewritten once.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

admin wrote:
Chris Wood wrote:Thumbnails are recached when files are moved
Yes.
Surely that's unnecessary? Is it too hard to change the thumbnail references when files are moved?
admin wrote:
Chris Wood wrote:Thumbnails towards the end of large lists of thumbnails are sometimes not displayed when you first load them (you have to refresh the view as above to see them).
About 20+

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:Is it too hard to change the thumbnail references when files are moved?
No, it's simply not the way the cache is designed.
Chris Wood wrote:
admin wrote:
About 20+
Sorry, can't explain. I'd like to hear some other voices! Anybody reading this, please share your observations!

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

admin wrote:
Chris Wood wrote:Is it too hard to change the thumbnail references when files are moved?
In other words, it is too hard. Do you have any plans to rectify this? TrackerV3 is supposed to be about efficiency...

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

I've been following Chris Wood's thumbnail problem with interest but saw no point in commenting since everything is perfect with me and I've been unable to produce any errors.

Folder sizes vary from a few 10's of files up to thousands. Image sizes vary from 10's to 100's of Kb. Some larger folders are :

560 files of sizes 22k to 71k, totaling 17Mb
680 files of sizes 24k to 64k, totaling 21Mb
600 files of sizes 24k to 81k, totaling 25Mb
and
2170 files of sizes 12k to 160k, totaling 105Mb

None of these have any problems, neither do files of several 100Kb; so it would not appear to be related to either file or folder size in any way.

I went silly and made up a folder of 7344 files, total size 336Mb. TrackerV3 failed at approximately image #3500 and locked out! I did think that number of images was pushing it a bit. ACDSee could not cope with the 2170 images so TrackerV3 did better than that (CPIC copes with the 7344 files).

Most images are either JPEG (both progressive and standard compression) or a few GIF's (not many PNG's). Operating system is XP home. Thumbnails are cached, but non-cached in temporary folder.

The only thought I've had is has Chris got some background task running that is grabbing memory or disk. I use a download manager and I need to be careful if it is running and I'm using any Microsoft Office application since Office doesn't seem to be able to cope with anything else writing to disk when it wants to.

Dave.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:
admin wrote:
In other words, it is too hard. Do you have any plans to rectify this? TrackerV3 is supposed to be about efficiency...
I don't see an efficiency problem here. My guess is that you have been misdirected by an unprecise statusbar message stating for example "308 thumbs done and cached" when in fact only 1 single thumb was added to the cache. I have already rectified this and the message will read now "1 thumb added and cached".

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:... 2170 files of sizes 12k to 160k, totaling 105Mb ... ACDSee could not cope with the 2170 images so TrackerV3 did better than that.
Thanks for going that far, I admit that's farer than I went myself, and of course I like your results!

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

Gandolf wrote:The only thought I've had is has Chris got some background task running that is grabbing memory or disk. I use a download manager and I need to be careful if it is running and I'm using any Microsoft Office application since Office doesn't seem to be able to cope with anything else writing to disk when it wants to.
Nope, nothing doing that.
Gandolf wrote:Operating system is XP home.
This is probably the reason. I'm using WindowsME, widely regarded as the buggiest of all Windows versions. No-one on this forum seems to use it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris Wood wrote:
Gandolf wrote:Operating system is XP home.
This is probably the reason. I'm using WindowsME, widely regarded as the buggiest of all Windows versions. No-one on this forum seems to use it.
But the cache is not doing anything fancy, even ME should cope with this.
Are still having those problems only in one particular directory?

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

I haven't said anything about things only happening in one directory... the problem with large lists of thumbnails happens in any directory with 20+ or so thumbnails.

Maybe you're referring to the problem in the other thread - which also happens all over the place, not just in a few directories.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Whatever, the renaming issue should be solved with the next BETA.