XYplorer not working properly?

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
jerber

XYplorer not working properly?

Post by jerber »

I don't know if it is just me but the last couple of versions of XYplorer have spent more time in "not responding" mode that in working mode. I don't know why this is happening. It is also slow to load and if scrolling a drive it stops goes into "not responding" and stays there for a while then the screen jumps forward and after a while it goes into " not responding" again. I hope this is clear as it is very disturbing to not have it working all the time. Any answers. :( :(

serendipity

Re: XYplorer not working properly?

Post by serendipity »

jerber wrote:I don't know if it is just me but the last couple of versions of XYplorer have spent more time in "not responding" mode that in working mode. I don't know why this is happening. It is also slow to load and if scrolling a drive it stops goes into "not responding" and stays there for a while then the screen jumps forward and after a while it goes into " not responding" again. I hope this is clear as it is very disturbing to not have it working all the time. Any answers. :( :(
Hi and Welcome,
Does this happen in a specific folder(network?) or everywhere? Also, try the same thing in a fresh XY install.

jerber

Post by jerber »

It happens all the time, infact I usually have to stop using XYplorer because it ties up my PC. I have tried to reinstall several times with the same results. Thanks

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

I've also notice, and reported in another thread, that XY is now slower displaying the list, but Don denies any difference. I do have directories with 2000+ sub-directories and there is no doubt about it, XY is definitely slower than it used to be with large numbers of items.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

XY has definitely not become any slower. But maybe you gave it more work to do. Let's find out.

Open menu Help, hold down CTRL, click "Various information". Copy what you see and paste it here. Maybe there is an answer.

jerber

Post by jerber »

XYplorer: 9.60.0000 (Pro Edition)
Loaded in: 2,232 ms at 10/23/2010 11:56:27 AM
Uptime: 2 mins, 30 secs
Memory Usage: 25,872 KB, Virtual Memory Size: 10,876 KB

OS Uptime: 1 day, 5 hrs, 14 mins, 19 secs
User Role: Admin
Themes: Yes

1) A 'Yes' might slow down file operations and browsing:
AutoRefresh = Yes
Network = No
Removables = No
During File Ops = No
SHChangeNotify = Yes
Get Folder Sizes = No
Autosize Columns = No
Icon Overlays = No

2) The bigger (more), the slower:
tag.dat size = 244 bytes, tags: 0

3) A 'Yes' will speed up browsing:
Generic Icons = No
Generic Icons Network Only = No

4) A 'Yes' might slow down selecting an item:
File Info Tips = Yes
File Info Tips Custom = No

Slowdown cause number one: An active virus scanner can severely slow down file operations and make XYplorer less responsive. Especially Microsoft Security Essentials can have a dramatic negative effect on speed.

These are the default keys from the installation. I am running Windows 7 Professional 32bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jerber wrote:XYplorer: 9.60.0000 (Pro Edition)...
It's all looking good. There is no apparent reason why your XY should be slower than mine.

Did you already try to download an older version from the freezer and see whether they really were faster?

jerber

Post by jerber »

My issue is not only speed but the fact it hangs my system or issues a "not responding" on the program. I am currently uninstalling the program and will try to install it again and see what happens. Hope it works but we will see.

jerber

Post by jerber »

I redownlloaded XPplorer and installed it again. I thought it was doing OK until I tried to scrool my backup drive and then it kept issuing "not responding", then it would come back and then when I tried to continue it moved a few spaces and went into "not responding" again. I guess it is something I have to live with but it is not what I have expected when I bought it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jerber wrote:I redownlloaded XPplorer and installed it again. I thought it was doing OK until I tried to scrool my backup drive and then it kept issuing "not responding", then it would come back and then when I tried to continue it moved a few spaces and went into "not responding" again. I guess it is something I have to live with but it is not what I have expected when I bought it.
This is certainly not the normal behavior. Something on your system is intervening.