Recycle bin won't auto refresh after upgrade to 9.80.0100+

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Recycle bin won't auto refresh after upgrade to 9.50.0100...

Post by admin »

Confirmed and fixed.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:
Gandolf wrote:
admin wrote:...permanent deletion from the recycle bin...
What on earth do you mean!!

Where, in the name of ***, can you delete the Recycle Bin to if it's not permanent?

Or are you saying that deletion using the right context menu is NOT deletion to the Recycle Bin. In that case you had better change the name of the item in the context menu.
huh? permanent deletion from the recycle bin... what part of that don't you understand?
admin wrote:Confirmed, permanent deletion from the recycle bin was not auto refreshed (since about 3 weeks ago). Fixed in next version.
Meaning that the context menu (which I tried) is a permanent delete, and did not work; but the delete you tried did work, so was it non-permanent? So is there a non-permanent delete of an item from the recycle bin, and is that what the delete you said worked is? What delete was that, the delete key I assume. If so, what is the point of a non-permanent delete from the recycle bin? Moving a file from the recycle bin to the recycle bin makes no sense to me.

Obviously, since one worked (the delete key, I assume) and the other didn't work (the context menu), the two deletes are different, or at least use a different procedure to perform the delete action. Illogical.

Having tried the delete key this has come up again, which proves there is a difference between the delete key and the context menu delete. I think I have asked it before, but it annoys me intensely, so I'll ask again, in the hope that you can fix it.

Why do I get "Dc30163" using the Delete key, but "New Folder" using the context menu? How am I supposed to know that the item I have selected to delete (New Folder) has the Recycle Bin name of Dc30163? And don't tell me to look at the column Recycled Name because that is time wasting and inefficient.

And, before you say it's a Windows problem, at least three other file managers (which list the files in the recycle bin by their names) prompt to delete the file by it's name, and not by it's recycle bin name.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:
admin wrote:
Gandolf wrote:
admin wrote:...permanent deletion from the recycle bin...
What on earth do you mean!!

Where, in the name of ***, can you delete the Recycle Bin to if it's not permanent?

Or are you saying that deletion using the right context menu is NOT deletion to the Recycle Bin. In that case you had better change the name of the item in the context menu.
huh? permanent deletion from the recycle bin... what part of that don't you understand?
admin wrote:Confirmed, permanent deletion from the recycle bin was not auto refreshed (since about 3 weeks ago). Fixed in next version.
Meaning that the context menu (which I tried) is a permanent delete, and did not work; but the delete you tried did work, so was it non-permanent? So is there a non-permanent delete of an item from the recycle bin, and is that what the delete you said worked is? What delete was that, the delete key I assume. If so, what is the point of a non-permanent delete from the recycle bin? Moving a file from the recycle bin to the recycle bin makes no sense to me.

Obviously, since one worked (the delete key, I assume) and the other didn't work (the context menu), the two deletes are different, or at least use a different procedure to perform the delete action. Illogical.

Having tried the delete key this has come up again, which proves there is a difference between the delete key and the context menu delete. I think I have asked it before, but it annoys me intensely, so I'll ask again, in the hope that you can fix it.

Why do I get "Dc30163" using the Delete key, but "New Folder" using the context menu? How am I supposed to know that the item I have selected to delete (New Folder) has the Recycle Bin name of Dc30163? And don't tell me to look at the column Recycled Name because that is time wasting and inefficient.

And, before you say it's a Windows problem, at least three other file managers (which list the files in the recycle bin by their names) prompt to delete the file by it's name, and not by it's recycle bin name.
Context menu is done by Shell (the menu is owned by the shell), DEL key is done by XY. Both do the same thing: delete Dc30163. Only the Shell hides the name Dc30163 from the user.

Gandolf

Re: Recycle bin won't auto refresh after upgrade to 9.60...

Post by Gandolf »

So are you going to change it, or is that impossible? It's stupid and confusing to display the recycle bin name when the file selected has the original file name.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:So are you going to change it, or is that impossible? It's stupid and confusing to display the recycle bin name when the file selected has the original file name.
It would be possible, but there would be side effects concerning the reliability of the action log (I cannot find out whether the delete was successfully executed in the moment when I need this information), and therefore I leave things as they are.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

So, the Action Log is more important than displaying the correct file name. Does that indicate that the majority of XY's users are always making mistakes and have to resort to checking the Action Log regularly, to see what they have done wrong?

A friend of mine commented yesterday "Oh!, I see XY is now for dumb blondes". Perhaps she is right.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:So, the Action Log is more important than displaying the correct file name. Does that indicate that the majority of XY's users are always making mistakes and have to resort to checking the Action Log regularly, to see what they have done wrong?

A friend of mine commented yesterday "Oh!, I see XY is now for dumb blondes". Perhaps she is right.
Well, XY is displaying the correct file name on DEL. In this context the original filename is just a pseudo name, not the name of the file that is about to be deleted. As you probably know.

Dumb blondes, smart assholes, XY is for everybody...

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:...XY is for everybody...
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)

ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

bug has returned in XYplorer 1.60.0100. recycle bin doesn't auto refresh when a file or folder is deleted or restored. can you fix this?

Gandolf

Re: Recycle bin won't auto refresh after upgrade to 9.60.0100...

Post by Gandolf »

It gets crazier!!

It now works sometimes, but not others.

Might be dependent on size of item or number of items selected (total size?)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Let me know if you find a way to reproduce it. I currently cannot find one.

What OS?

ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

im on win7 x64. can reproduce with a file or a folder.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

Select an item.
Context menu, select delete. Nothing happens.
View | Refresh List. Item disappears from the list.

Can't get any simpler than that!!

Select another item, delete, and the item does disappear.

O.S. is XP.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:Select an item.
Context menu, select delete. Nothing happens.
View | Refresh List. Item disappears from the list.

Can't get any simpler than that!!

Select another item, delete, and the item does disappear.

O.S. is XP.
Select an item where?

ghost zero

Post by ghost zero »

well i have a dual pane layout with a folder in one pane and the recyle bin in the other pane. and go from here. the auto refresh with the recycle bin doesn't work properly...