Application Error on exit

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Application Error on exit

Post by j_c_hallgren »

highstream wrote:For some reason I had a different impression, or maybe got two app forums confused, but was about to ask if Don and Site Admin were one and the same. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't other programmers you respect for their thoughts.
No problem...just wanted to make sure you knew who was who here! And asking others for aid is fine, and that's where this forum helps Don out.

BTW, note that I was having the issue on my W2K sys as well so it's not just an XP failure.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

I've also had this error randomly, but never been able to pin it down to anything.

If it was drives spinning down (as surveyor suggested) I would have expected it to happen every time I use XY. All my drives are removable, and spin down after a period of inactivity. It it looks as if there must be another factor involved.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:I've also had this error randomly, but never been able to pin it down to anything.

If it was drives spinning down (as surveyor suggested) I would have expected it to happen every time I use XY. All my drives are removable, and spin down after a period of inactivity. It it looks as if there must be another factor involved.
Any xyerrorlog-*.txt in app data path? XY should write into this file when any errors happen on exit.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

I don't see any xyerrorlog-*.txt file.

Whenever I got an error like that I would have killed XY with Process Explorer. Would that stop the error log file being generated, since XY does not close normally, or should it have been generated before the error was displayed?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:I don't see any xyerrorlog-*.txt file.

Whenever I got an error like that I would have killed XY with Process Explorer. Would that stop the error log file being generated, since XY does not close normally, or should it have been generated before the error was displayed?
An "error like that" is probably not loggable. I was just throwing a dead chicken at it. The last BETA has an additional error-on-exit trapper. Let me know if you still get that error.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

...it always happens to me after a long session of try-scripting.
Now that I got the pattern, I will try to use the error-trapper mentioned by Don.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

highstream

Post by highstream »

I can now add Error Message on Entrance to the above. It's something I've now seen in the same circumstances several times in the past week or two. Clicking on a link in an email from XYplorer (e.g., the last post to this thread, but most often for the latest beta), I get an error box with a blue top band and an orange triangle warning sign on the left with an exclamation point in the middle (described because it won't screen capture). Its text is the following:

Browser failed to open <http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?
f=2&t=5608&p=53078&e=53078
>.

Despite what the box says, the browser and forum open with delay. This error message occurs *only* with an XYplorer link and usually only on first opening of its link in the computer session (though it repeated with this one). I can't say for sure if it is being caused by Mailwasher Pro, where I usually view the emails, Opera or XYplorer. My hunch is something about XYplorer or the link being sent, given that it's the only one eliciting this error.

Update: I'd forgotten two things: 1) there's another site's link that this occurs from Mailwasher's viewer; and 2) it only occurs when Opera is closed, i.e., the link is starting it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highstream wrote:I can now add Error Message on Entrance to the above. It's something I've now seen in the same circumstances several times in the past week or two. ...
Are you using some 3rd party shell skin (Windows Blinds...)? Just asking because you get so many strange errors...

highstream

Post by highstream »

Except for this one, I believe every problem I've posted has been confirmed by others. By coincidence, I did start using another Stardock program, Fences, a couple of weeks ago: http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/. I'll have to see if that's behind it.

highstream

Post by highstream »

Two things that seem pretty certain. This last one on opening links is not being caused by XYplorer and it's not being caused by Stardock's Fences. Uninstalled it last night and it happened again this morning with a link from a third site.

wilson

Post by wilson »

Hello,

I purchased a lifetime license in April and have experienced this error mentioned in the thread regularly since then. I haven't used the program very often because of the error message. I have been installing each new update in hopes that they would eliminate it. No such luck. It doesn't happen every time I use the program, but probably once every three or four times I use it. I have experienced it on my home computer and work PC (they both have the same OS and similar installed software).

1) The error happens when I exit the program by clicking the red "X". As noted it doesn't happen every time. I haven't tested exiting by using File -> Exit.
2) I am using Windows XP SP3 32bit with all latest patches.
3) I am not using beta versions of XYplorer. Just the latest regular releases from April to June 2011.
4) I am not using any scripts and the only change I've made to the default XYplorer install is the option to change how the Context Menu works.
5) It's probably not related, but just in case the folders I've been working with tend to have lots of video and RAR files. On which I tend to do a lot of moving, deleting, extracting and renaming.

My error message:

The programs I have running in addition to XYplorer (I don't have DOpus or HDSentinel at work):

Help resolving this would be appreciated.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Googling for it shows you are not alone. But it keeps being mysterious.

Do you also get it with a fresh installation of XY?
Do you also get it when exiting without saving settings?
Do you also get it when saving settings without exiting?

Welcome,
Don

wilson

Post by wilson »

admin wrote:Do you also get it with a fresh installation of XY?
Yes. I did fresh installs of both v9.90.1100 and v10.00 and was able to induce the error on exit.

admin wrote:Do you also get it when exiting without saving settings?
Yes. Installed v10.10 tonight and was able to get error using "File" -> "Exit without Saving".

admin wrote:Do you also get it when saving settings without exiting?
So far I have not been able to create the error doing this, but I've only been trying for the past hour. I've been using "File" -> "Settings" -> "Save All Settings". Is that what you were thinking of when you asked the question?

wilson

Post by wilson »

Don,

A few posts up you mention that one of your betas has a special error logging feature when it exits with an error. Is this true for your currently available beta? And if so would it be useful for me to see if I can cause a crash and post the log?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

wilson wrote:Don,

A few posts up you mention that one of your betas has a special error logging feature when it exits with an error. Is this true for your currently available beta? And if so would it be useful for me to see if I can cause a crash and post the log?
Whoops, sorry for the delay. Uhm, no this error cannot be trapped.