XYplorer not always showing as tab (XP)

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
highstream

Re: XYplorer not always showing as tab (XP)

Post by highstream »

I'll let you know when it happens again. The unencumbered XYplorer is now starting in the mid-400ms, close to the same time as WinEx. However, that's the My Computer folder, which should load a bit faster.
Last edited by highstream on 19 Sep 2010 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

highstream wrote:I'll let you know when it happens again.
On behalf of the developer: thanks. (I think... :wink:)
The unencumbered XYplorer is now starting in the mid-400ms, close to the same time as WinEx. However, that's the My Computer folder, which should load a bit faster load.
That's this bug, I assume.

highstream

Post by highstream »

One time that I've often noticed the tab not showing is immediately after installing a new beta update when I let the program start. It happened again this morning with 9.50.0015. And that install was to the version w/o settings files, per the test.

About that test, it makes using XYplorer too cumbersome to continue indefinitely, so given the result this morning I've gone back to the normal set up.

highstream

Post by highstream »

Another case: After dealing with questions at the other thread about how long it takes the program to open, I had closed XYplorer. That was about an hour and a half ago. Or so I thought, since there was no tab showing. Just clicked on a desktop folder and XYplorer popped up instantly. Loaded In time still the same, so it must have been open all along.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The question is why only you seem to have the problem, and I have not enough data here to find out. Toughy.

highstream

Post by highstream »

admin wrote:The question is why only you seem to have the problem, and I have not enough data here to find out. Toughy.
I appreciate your position, however nas8e9 reported on Sept 19 (pg 1) that he can reproduce the problem, as follows:

"I can reproduce this when the following two settings are enabled in Configuration > Startup & Exit:
- Startup minimized;
- Minimize to tray."

Maybe I'm grabbing at straws since I don't start minimized, but at least someone else claims to have reproduced it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highstream wrote:
admin wrote:The question is why only you seem to have the problem, and I have not enough data here to find out. Toughy.
I appreciate your position, however nas8e9 reported on Sept 19 (pg 1) that he can reproduce the problem, as follows:

"I can reproduce this when the following two settings are enabled in Configuration > Startup & Exit:
- Startup minimized;
- Minimize to tray."

Maybe I'm grabbing at straws since I don't start minimized, but at least someone else claims to have reproduced it.
This does not reproduce it here. The straw broke. :|

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

This may be totally un-related, but I had a similar problem some time ago which was caused by the Mini Tree.

If the Mini Tree was large i.e. over 100 directories, XY would take an age to start, and never did display either in a window, task bar or system tray. Using Process Explorer I could see heavy disk activity while XY was loading the Mini Tree, then everything would stop. XY was in the process list, but did not display in a usable form in Windows, and I would kill it. Restarting XY and it would be almost instantaneous at loading.

With a larger number of directories in the Mini Tree (nearer 200) XY would lock out with 100% CPU activity after the disk activity had ceased. Killing it and restarting would be almost instantaneous.

I didn't pursue it at the time since I found the Mini Tree of no use whatsoever.

It's almost as if XY is busy with some process (disk reading in this case) when it starts to load, then it can get confused.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hm. I have tested bigger MiniTrees without problems. There must be some other factor.

highstream

Post by highstream »

admin wrote:Hm. I have tested bigger MiniTrees without problems. There must be some other factor.
Now we have three users saying that they've seen the same behavior and you still blow it off. That's not helpful. And here's the kicker: Gandolf's onto something (thanks!). I had MiniTree set on. Just turned it off and now the program loads quickly (shows in the mid 400's ms), like it's supposed to. Will have to see if that solves the tab issue, as it did for him. In the meantime, hopefully now there's enough evidence to look for how MiniTree is creating these problems.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highstream wrote:
admin wrote:Hm. I have tested bigger MiniTrees without problems. There must be some other factor.
Now we have three users saying that they've seen the same behavior and you still blow it off. That's not helpful. And here's the kicker: Gandolf's onto something (thanks!). I had MiniTree set on. Just turned it off and now the program loads quickly (shows in the mid 400's ms), like it's supposed to. Will have to see if that solves the tab issue, as it did for him. In the meantime, hopefully now there's enough evidence to look for how MiniTree is creating these problems.
Huh? Relax, of course I try to solve the problem. I said the size of the MiniTree cannot be the problem. However, it looks like the contents of the MiniTree can be. Wild guess: You have some unavailable paths in your MiniTree. OTOH: This does not explain that you startup fast when pointing to MyComputer.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

I'd already checked, when I was investigating, that it wasn't a problem with non-available drives, since all my drives are removable, or drives having to spin up to speed. Either increases the start up time considerably (but that's to be expected).

The directories are spread over a number of drives, I have 14 removable SCSI drives, and a number of USB drives.
The directories can be anything up to 10 levels deep.
There can be 1000 or more files in each directory.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:There can be 1000 or more files in each directory.
OK, this is a known factor.

Uncheck "Configuration | General | Check existence of subfolders in tree". Does it make a difference?

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

That has been unchecked since the year dot!! The tree in XY is unusable with that option checked.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:That has been unchecked since the year dot!! The tree in XY is unusable with that option checked.
:roll: Well, over here it's very usable with that option checked. I don't know what's wrong with your computers, guys...