Run-time error 6 'overflow' -> Crash and exits!

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Run-time error 6 'overflow' -> Crash and exits!

Post by j_c_hallgren »

New user as stated...running W2K...
When I select "My Computer" to view, I get box with "Run-time error '6' overflow" and then XY terminates when I click on "ok"...
Also, when the error shows, the toolbar options under "file"-"Fav" have diagonal slashes over them, if that helps any...
It did not crash when I did it the very first time (as best that I can recall), but now does it everytime but only if "My Computer" as selected...

Update: I moved/saved my .INI file in another folder and tried it as a "first time" run..same fatal error...also logged off/on to W2K to hopefully reset any other conflicts...no luck...

admin
Site Admin

Re: Run-time error 6 'overflow' -> Crash and exits!

Post by admin »

Hi jc,

okay, for a bug I even interrupt my holidays :wink:

Obviously this bug must be caused by something specific to your system (else many other users would have already reported it).

Right now I have no idea what's going on. Do you have any unusual drives in your system with unusual sizes or file systems?
j_c_hallgren wrote:Also, when the error shows, the toolbar options under "file"-"Fav" have diagonal slashes over them, if that helps any...
This sounds interesting. If you could send a screenshot of the whole window it might help even more.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I'd be more than happy to provide JPG of screen...what is preferred method here?

Also, FYI (as best i can see via AIDA32 and other places):
Dell Latitude C610 laptop w/Win2000 5.0.2195 Service pack 4
Toshiba XM-7002B as Cd-Rom (I can swap that to another Toshiba from other laptop)
Hard drive shows as IBM travelstar 40GN with 20GB by Hitachi with 64% free using FAT32
IE is 6.0 w/SP1

Any other info that may help?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I'd be more than happy to provide JPG of screen...what is preferred method here?
Please shoot
(a) XYplorer window at your bug situation, and
(b) Explorer window showing MyComputer listing
and send to XY support mail.

Thanks!

JoDeCologne

Post by JoDeCologne »

Hey all!

Tonight I was able to reproduce this error:

I first mounted a crypted file with TrueCrypt (www.truecrypt.org) and later dismounted it. Truecrypt attaches these files to drive letters and this (forst mount and then dismount) often confuses windows (even XP): The windows explorer still shows the drive symbol but no letter next to it, the drive still appeary in file-open-dloags etc.

XYplorer gave a slightly different dialog with a chance to copy the text to the clipboard:

Error 6 (00000006)
Desc Overflow
Dll 0
Proc Load@70

Source XYplorer
Version 4.40.0030
OS WinXP
Date 04.01.2006 22:11:59

When I deleted the .ini-file, I was able to restart it, but after clicking the "Arbeitsplatz" ("My Computer") XYplorer still crashes with exactly the same behavior as described here (same dialog, same icons).

I guess j_c_hallgren has a similar probem with his CD-ROM that is hotswapped and Windows gets confused a little bit.

Kind regards

Jonas

PS: Great program!

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Ok...look for my email from my Yahoo acct...

Glad someone else got a failure too, but conditions are enough different that it may due to another issue...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JoDeCologne wrote:PS: Great program!
You're from Cologne? Aus Kölle? :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Ok...look for my email from my Yahoo acct...
Got it, reproduced it, fixed it! Or, as Cesar would have said: Veni, vidi, vici! :D

JoDeCologne

Post by JoDeCologne »

admin wrote:
JoDeCologne wrote:PS: Great program!
You're from Cologne? Aus Kölle? :D
Ja. Von der schäl sick.

:-)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Beta installed and works! Guess it was the CD-ROM/audio CD that messed it up... :D :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Beta installed and works! Guess it was the CD-ROM/audio CD that messed it up... :D :D
Yes. I was wrong when I said "must be caused by something specific to your system" :oops: This bug was happening on every machine. BTW, it came into being when I added the "Free % column" 7 weeks ago.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Back in my COBOL programming days, it sometimes was "Fix bug #1", "Create bug #2"...so I know how it is... :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Back in my COBOL programming days, it sometimes was "Fix bug #1", "Create bug #2"...so I know how it is... :)
Also known as: Fix 1 bug, create 2 new. :wink:

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

:shock: Stop it, stop it!
Please don't fix no bug...

:lol: