As requested: Trying to open several .html files

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
mike andrade

As requested: Trying to open several .html files

Post by mike andrade »

As requested by Donald.

When I select more than one html file (control-click), then right-click and select "open," the "copy to" dialogue appears. Upon hitting "cancel," the "move to" dialogue appears. Meanwhile, no html files get opened in my default html viewer.

admin
Site Admin

Re: As requested: Trying to open several .html files

Post by admin »

mike andrade wrote:When I select more than one html file (control-click), then right-click and select "open," the "copy to" dialogue appears. Upon hitting "cancel," the "move to" dialogue appears. Meanwhile, no html files get opened in my default html viewer.
Well, though trying hard I just cannot reproduce this.

What is a "copy to" dialogue? Screenshot?
What is your default html viewer?
Since you are using a ctx menu shell command: can you reproduce the same from inside Explorer?

mike andrade

Post by mike andrade »

I just figured out it's not an XYplorer issue.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mike andrade wrote:I just figured out it's not an XYplorer issue.
Ok, whose issue is it then?

mike andrade

Post by mike andrade »

It appears to be an issue with the "move to" and "copy to" shell extensions that X-setup puts in the context menu.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mike andrade wrote:It appears to be an issue with the "move to" and "copy to" shell extensions that X-setup puts in the context menu.
Luckily you don't need "move to" and "copy to" shell extensions when you have XY :wink:

mike andrade

Post by mike andrade »

Donald,

What we need is an "open" command in the drop down file menu. I discovered that Explorer does indeed open multiple html files in the default browser if you use this option. The problem with the "move to/copy to" issue only occurs when using the "open" command from the context menu. An "open" command in the file menu in XY should solve the problem.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mike andrade wrote:What we need is an "open" command in the drop down file menu. I discovered that Explorer does indeed open multiple html files in the default browser if you use this option. The problem with the "move to/copy to" issue only occurs when using the "open" command from the context menu. An "open" command in the file menu in XY should solve the problem.
Add a feature because of another app's bug? How low shall I sink? :wink:

mike andrade

Post by mike andrade »

It's a feature that has been requested. If you don't want to add it, don't. It's your software.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mike andrade wrote:It's a feature that has been requested. If you don't want to add it, don't. It's your software.
Sure, but when I add features then not because they have been requested but because they have been requested for a good reason. So what's the reason for this feature apart from offering a workaround for another app's bug?
I see one good reason at the moment: it's there in Explorer's file menu, so it's sort of a de facto standard, and I generally try to meet de facto expectations.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:I see one good reason at the moment: it's there in Explorer's file menu, so it's sort of a de facto standard, and I generally try to meet de facto expectations.
The reason was good enough... :wink: