folder-delete-bug in tree

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Conc. the del bug: I could never reproduce it but looking at the code I could imagine what apparently happens at your end. Must be an obscure difference between W2K and XP. Anyway, I hope I have fixed it.

Congratulations, you have found the first XYplorer bug! :D
The fix will come only after the new website and forum is done (should be today)... sorry about that.

Conc. the network refresh: really great. I wish every bug would lead to such an improvement. :)

Creat

Post by Creat »

no problem with the waiting for the update, autorefresh is disabled for network speed now anyway so that problem is out of my way at the moment as well :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Creat wrote:no problem with the waiting for the update, autorefresh is disabled for network speed now anyway so that problem is out of my way at the moment as well :)
I distinguish three network depth levels:
\\Server\ServerShare\ServerShareFolder\

Do you see auto-refresh induced speed reduction on each of those levels?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Whooops, now here's something very strange: I just saw that auto-refresh is unconditionally disabled for any UNC-path since 20050307! I had forgotten that...

So, do you work with mapped drives only, or is this a total mystery?

Creat

Post by Creat »

I work mainly with mapped drives, yes. If I use UNC-Style paths, I generally use an explorer window since Tracker expands the My Network Places (which takes about 5 seconds alone) and such [I know there's no better way to do it in an environment like Tracker, but that's why not ;].

and no, the display delay is fixed for UNC paths (at least for me) so it is unconditionaly disabled for those.

EDIT: Listing \\Server\ServerShare seems to be slightly slower (so slightly that it's barely noticeable, but I'm still pretty sure it is the case) than listing the same share mapped to a drive letter with disabled auto-refresh. Still significantly faster than mapped and auto-refresh on though...

bye
Creat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Check out XYplorer... :D

Creat

Post by Creat »

nice! new name!

Ok I think I might need an explanation for some of those new options there:
I assume the 4 checkboxes under "Auto-refresh on filesystem changes" are only relevant when that is checked, right? Why not disable them when it's unckecked?
Second, in order for the delay with listing network drives to go away I need to uncheck "local drives", did you just accidentally switch the local and netword drives variables or something, is there something actually not working correctly or did I just misinterpret/misunderstand something?
And I'm not sure what you mean by non-current locations. But I think you mean things that are displayed (but not selected) in the tree, right? If so, I don't think it's easily comprehensible (not that I have a better suggestion), maybe a explaining tooltip or something?

anyway: nice work!

bye
Creat

CyGho

Post by CyGho »

Yeah, see also here: http://www.trackerv3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=469 witch i posted a minute ago.
Software: should we be aware because it's soft ? I like to think not !

Creat

Post by Creat »

Oh boy I'm so sorry, but now I have a weird "visual effect" when deleting folders in the tree (the lowest node doesn't disappear anymore though, yay!).
It also only happens when auto-refresh is on and is kinda hard to describe, so I made a 3-step-screenshot:

first on the left is how it starts, then I hit del and the folder disappears and focus moves up (looking like the part on the right), then for half a second or so it looks like the middle part before finally getting to correctly displaying like on the right. [red arrow indicates problem obviously ;) ]

It has nothing to do with the fact that the next folder is RECYCLER, interestingly enough the same happens when P_Test is NOT shared (which is kinda weird considering the error is the shared-symbol, had I deleted New Folder)

Just a note, I'm not sure this is intentional or not: I also noticed during testing that share-symbols are never updated unless I restart XYxplorer. When I share a folder it gets shared correctly, but the symbol doesn't appear, same with endig a share: restart required to update icons (F4/F5 doesn't help, Ctrl-F4 does but collapses all folders exept current one [as it's supposed to])

EDIT: I just noticed the location of the shared symbol is always directly left of the deleted folder (I only deleted the last one in the above example so it appears besides RECYCLER, had I deleted New Folder-01 it woul've appeard next to New Folder-02)

bye
Creat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You understood the new config alright. But I changed the captions to make it more comprehensible.

Your results are interesting. No, I did not mix up local and network.... :?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Creat wrote:Oh boy I'm so sorry, but now I have a weird "visual effect" when deleting folders in the tree (the lowest node doesn't disappear anymore though, yay!).

... then I hit del and the folder disappears and focus moves up ...
This is the part where I start wondering. It should not move up at all but down (resp. stay whereas the lower tree moves up) as is usual behavior with deletions.
Can anybody with Win2K reproduce this??

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Creat wrote:Just a note, I'm not sure this is intentional or not: I also noticed during testing that share-symbols are never updated unless I restart XYxplorer. When I share a folder it gets shared correctly, but the symbol doesn't appear, same with endig a share: restart required to update icons (F4/F5 doesn't help, Ctrl-F4 does but collapses all folders exept current one [as it's supposed to])
F4/F5 does help now. :)

Creat

Post by Creat »

another note: when I have mapped say \\server\share to a drive and delte a folder (or subfolder) there from the treeview (f.ex. \\server\share\somefolder or \\server\share\somefolder\subfolder) it doesn't move up but instead shows that share-icon - as above - but it stays and in the listview I get:

-snip-
currently not available
\
-snap-

no idea why though ...

bye
Creat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Say, do you have similar weird effects when you rename a tree node?

Creat

Post by Creat »

no, renaming never does that

btw about 5 minutes ago I couldn't reproduce that currently available bug from above, now it's back though. I don't know what was different or anything, just wanted to let you know... Anyway it's back now :(

bye
Creat