XYplorer crashes when right clicking on list / tree items

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
pospi

XYplorer crashes when right clicking on list / tree items

Post by pospi »

Title says it all. I just upgraded to 8.8 and it started happening. Anyone else encountered the same problem before? Could be a configuration issue, but I'm not sure.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: XYplorer crashes when right clicking on list / tree items

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Not had this issue, but given that right-click relates to context menus and thus shell extensions, are there any other problems with right-click on your system with things beside XY or is it just XY? Also, did it just occur with a particular vers of XY or with any vers?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

pospi

Post by pospi »

Yeah that's what I figured... I've managed to fix it now (not ENTIRELY sure how ;)) - think it may have been a missing script file that did it.
Either that or the simple act of turning the computer off and forgetting about it for a day.

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint »

Yes! This is/was tied to my comment in the thread about "temp non-responsive network shares"...but this is more like what I am seeing.

Under Windows 7 for sure - I am getting very very sporatic "freezes"...which then turn into a full blown crash...when right clicking on a folder in the tree. Local for sure as I got one of these this morning...when it happens on a local folder - I am able to shut XY right down and force it off...but when this happens on a network share - I got stuck in such a nasty crash a few days ago that I had to do a hard reset...

This has only become an issue with 8.80....never seen it before this version...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Vocalpoint wrote:Yes! This is/was tied to my comment in the thread about "temp non-responsive network shares"...but this is more like what I am seeing.

Under Windows 7 for sure - I am getting very very sporatic "freezes"...which then turn into a full blown crash...when right clicking on a folder in the tree. Local for sure as I got one of these this morning...when it happens on a local folder - I am able to shut XY right down and force it off...but when this happens on a network share - I got stuck in such a nasty crash a few days ago that I had to do a hard reset...

This has only become an issue with 8.80....never seen it before this version...
Crashes on right-clicking are in 100% of all cases caused by third party shell extensions. Anything suspicious in your context menu?

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint »

admin wrote:Crashes on right-clicking are in 100% of all cases caused by third party shell extensions. Anything suspicious in your context menu?
Hmm...I have Tag N Rename installed...WinRAR...ESET AV...my usual complement of tools...nothing oddball or esoteric tho....this core set of tools has been in use for years...

To compare - I haven't seen a single crash like this with 8.80 in Vista Business SP2 - with the identical utilities installed...

Ideas? I can give you a more detailed list when I get back to the machine....

Cheers!

VP

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Vocalpoint wrote:
admin wrote:Crashes on right-clicking are in 100% of all cases caused by third party shell extensions. Anything suspicious in your context menu?
Hmm...I have Tag N Rename installed...WinRAR...ESET AV...my usual complement of tools...nothing oddball or esoteric tho....this core set of tools has been in use for years...

To compare - I haven't seen a single crash like this with 8.80 in Vista Business SP2 - with the identical utilities installed...

Ideas? I can give you a more detailed list when I get back to the machine....

Cheers!

VP
Between 8.70 and 8.80 nothing concerning the shell context menu was changed in the code. Therefore I don't know where to look. No blood trace.

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint »

admin wrote:Between 8.70 and 8.80 nothing concerning the shell context menu was changed in the code. Therefore I don't know where to look. No blood trace.
Hmm...it must be something either in 7 or I may have some rogue extension wreaking havoc.

However - Windows 7 has exposed enough rough edges in the past few weeks that I will be removing it this weekend and returning to Vista SP2...I will get that all sorted and then see if I can kick this error into gear again....

As mentioned tho - I had 8.80 in play back in late Dec - a few weeks prior to my Windows 7 testing and it was a solid as can be - even with the same tools installed....

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint »

Just an update on this - I wiped the machine (due to ongoing hassles with Windows 7) and went back to Vista 64 Business SP2 - and just as I expected - I have not encountered a single issue, freeze, glitch or anything...with all the usual suspects appearing on the context menu....just the way it was with 8.80 (Dec 2009) prior to this short Windows 7 test

I am certain there is a ghost in the machine when XY is used with Windows 7...can;t say what''s happening with that OS in play - but it's smooth sailing now....

Cheers!

VP