TrackerV3 it tries to access the Internet

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Gandolf

TrackerV3 it tries to access the Internet

Post by Gandolf »

Every time I start TrackerV3 it tries to access the Internet.

Preview panel was open, closing it made no difference.

Folder was empty, changed to another folder - no different.

I thought it might have been because TrackerV3 was closed with the info panel in preview mode displaying a file in the temporary downloads folder. This may have been an HTML document (with links to the Web) which had been deleted (or moved).

Renamed TrackerV3.ini, still the same.

I unchecked ALL the Web & Office files in Configuration | Previewed formats - no different.

I can prevent the firewall message by setting the firewall to remember and block the attempted access, but that would not appear to be the correct solution.

Any idea why TrackerV3 should be trying to access the Internet??

Version is 4.20.0056

admin
Site Admin

Re: TrackerV3 it tries to access the Internet

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:Every time I start TrackerV3 it tries to access the Internet.
Who/What tells you so?? Since which version?

All I know (and I should know) is: it definitely does not.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:Who/What tells you so?? Since which version?
Firewall is ZoneAlarm - message is
Application: TrackerV3.exe
Destination IP: 127.0.0.1:Port 13XX (last two digit of port vary)

I then tried the following:

Uninstalled TrackerV3
Moved ALL remaining files from TrackerV3 folder to another folder
Installed 4.20.0052
No Internet access message
Installed 4.20.0056 (over 4.20.0052)
Internet access!!

Uninstalled TrackerV3
Deleted ALL files from TrackerV3 folder (only ini)
Installed 4.20.0056 (into empty folder)
Internet access!!

That tells me it's something to do with 4.20.0056, do you not agree?

tekNerd

Post by tekNerd »

My Sygate is registering like a app that is trying to connect to internet, but i guess the firewalls could be mistaken,cause i don't see no traffic allowed/blocked.

tekNerd

Post by tekNerd »

Never mind! I just installed the 0057 version and there is no TrackerV3 in Sygate list.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

So did I. 4.20.0057 installed over 4.20.0056 and it all works fine. What was in '56 that upset our systems we may never know!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tekNerd wrote:Never mind! I just installed the 0057 version and there is no TrackerV3 in Sygate list.
So, again a case of false positive?? Weird... :?

tekNerd

Post by tekNerd »

A little weird, ya!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tekNerd wrote:A little weird, ya!
Hmm, are you getting suspicious? :wink: I would... But what can I do to prove my innocence apart from publishing the source code? Not much...

... however, look at the motives:
(a) Why should I be so stupid to do this?
(b) If you would market a virus scanner/firewall: would you rather program it to overreact or to underreact?

In the case of a virus scanner false positive it's easy to understand that by mere chance a suspicious pattern can be generated by TV3's compiler.
For me it's harder to understand what triggers a false firewall alarm... but then I don't know much about firewalls.

tekNerd

Post by tekNerd »

U know what? Even u want to put something in your code that makes my firewall jumps, I don't care. I love tracker and this is a kind of love that lasts!
I can't do much for u to keep it free, cause, like everybody's saying, i am a poor fellow, but if me using it (me and averybody else) makes u to improve it every single day for me is all good even if u put a virus in the code :D.
So, thank u for this beautiful piece of software.

PS:
This is all visual basic?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

tekNerd wrote:This is all visual basic?
Yes. Pure VB.

And no virus. Come on, I'm not 14 anymore.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Gandolf wrote:
admin wrote:Who/What tells you so?? Since which version?
Firewall is ZoneAlarm - message is
Application: TrackerV3.exe
Destination IP: 127.0.0.1:Port 13XX (last two digit of port vary)
Hey People, did noone notice that the IP-address is "localhost"? So whatever is going on refers to the local machine, not to anything in internet!
I could imagine this is something Internet Explorer does when used to "open" any file for viewing?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I noticed it, but Gandolf said it happened without any preview going on. And now it stopped happening. I think it stays a mystery.

Gandolf

Re: TrackerV3 it tries to access the Internet

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:I noticed it, but Gandolf said it happened without any preview going on. And now it stopped happening. I think it stays a mystery.
That was my first suspicion since the last time TrackerV3 was used there had almost certainly been an HTML document (which had since been deleted) in the preview panel. As I said in my first post:
Gandolf wrote:...Preview panel was open, closing it made no difference. ... I thought it might have been because TrackerV3 was closed with the info panel in preview mode displaying a file in the temporary downloads folder. This may have been an HTML document (with links to the Web) which had been deleted (or moved).
What then confused me was that going back to 0052 everything was good, returning to 0056 and the problem returned. I think it remains a mystery.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

It's back again in 4.40.0041!