TrackerV3 it tries to access the Internet

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:It's back again in 4.40.0041!
Well, let's see what 4.40.0042 does.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:Well, let's see what 4.40.0042 does.
There the first time I ran XY (from the installer) but now gone!!

One thought. When it occurred some months ago I think I had previewed an HTML document when I closed XY. This time I was not doing that but did have the Info panel open (changing timestamps) when I last used (and closed) XY. I may also have been in the same directory (C:\Documents and Settings\Dave Gordon\_Special\), I don't know if the "_" might be significant. I cannot see why either situation should be related, but one never knows.

Let's see what v4.40.0043 does!

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

It came back with 4.40.0043 when run the first time from the installer but not there when XY next run. XY had been closed with the Info tab open (General file info) having performed a find files in the "..._Special" directory. I deliberately set up as near the same conditions as earlier, so something in that situation might be relevant. Very strange!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:It came back with 4.40.0043 ... Very strange!!
I can only assure you that XY does not try to access the internet (unless you want it), and consequently any software that claims so must be wrong. File under "false positive"...

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Hi Donald,

sorry to correct you, but it's not the internet, but "only IP"!
(At least, if you don't want to say, that Gandolfs PC is the internet... :D )

As I said weeks ago, the IP-address is localhost - that is, it is any request to the local PC. So it cannot be said, that XY accesses the internet!

Of course it's strange that this happens and you don't know why, and it should be checked, why this happens...

As I think you said, that XY never does a function like this, I still would assume, that it's caused by IE beeing in any way "active" from a file-preview - but this really should be verified.
(Not good, that ZoneAlarm didn't show protocol, i.e. TCP or UDP, but only IP. UDP would be one more reason to assume that it is IE!

In my personal firewall I allow access both from IE and firefox to 127.0.0.1, this maybe is the reason, why I never see those connections?

Peter

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PeterH wrote:sorry to correct you, but it's not the internet, but "only IP"!
Yes, I was referring to the subject of the thread "TrackerV3 it tries to access the Internet".
Whatever, I still think it's a random effect because it depends on what the compiler spits out, not on my source code (did not change anything concerning HTML-preview since months).

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I'll agree that localhost 127 is NOT the Internet; however, that's how ZoneAlarm reports it as...I just ran into this using another pgm last nite...had a new Perl debugger that wanted access to localhost...so ZA pop's up..gave it access...no big deal...why XY would do that is something I've not seen yet...but it wouldnt bother me..