Minimized window misbehaviour on resolution change

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Borut

Re: Minimized window misbehaviour on resolution change

Post by Borut »

This has nothing to do with remote sessions per se. It is only that it is experienced heavily by those that use remote desktop connections heavily (home office, sys admins, ...). I guess that it would happen the same way when you would replace your physical monitor while working.

XYplorer is the only application that I noticed which has problems. I am not a Windows expert, but would expect that every application gets some event about the monitor size/resolution change. All applications that are maximized stay maximized already (including the XYplorer) - this is being handled automatically by Windows. However, the applications' drawing area has been enlarged. Now, the relevant questions here, in my view, are:
  • Is there such an event at all? I think that there should be one.
  • Can a non threading application react on it?
  • If it can not, how about a simple check of monitor data each time the application gets focus? (If that would be implemented, then a user could do a simple Alt-TAB two times (if at all necessary, perhaps only when XYplorer already had focus) to get the thing correct, instead of mousing around.)
I do not see any rocket science here.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

RalphM wrote: 25 Aug 2020 03:30 How is XY supposed to know that your remote session has moved from s to b?
Good question.

paludis

Post by paludis »

I just encountered this issue again on 21.00.

From what I can tell XYplorer stops listening to resolution changes when it is minimized.

Steps to reproduce (without Remote Desktop):

1. Change your Windows resolution to something lower than your monitor can do by default.
2. Open XYplorer and maximize the window
3. Minimize the window to taskbar
4. Change the Windows resolution to the monitors original resolution
5. Restore XYplorer window from taskbar

The result should look something like the original posters screenshot.

I assume the same issue happens when virtually changing display resolutions when using remote desktop connections.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, thanks. I'll try to handle it in the next beta.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is it fixed?

paludis

Post by paludis »

Yes it is. :tup:

Currently running v21.00.0010 and both with resolution changing and also remote desktop connections it looks like it is gone.

Cheers :)

Creat

Post by Creat »

Sorry for not participating much in my own issue. Yes, I'm still around and still using XYplorer when possible.

Can also confirm the issue is fixed as far as I can tell. Just explicitly tested again with the most recent version (21.30.0000) and it properly resizes now.

Thanks a lot for the fix!