Undo/Redo

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Undo/Redo

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:
admin wrote:Difficult. Action.dat is in synch with file system, tag.dat is only updated when saved or exit with saving. So it's easy for the two to get out of synch. Same with other settings.
Okay, good. Difficult is good, because it's not impossible. 8)

I see your point, but action.dat isn't really in sync with file system, as the later might be altered outside of XY, and action.dat is not saved after every action but on exit or manual save of all settings, so it can (and does) get out of sync on occasion.

As I said I see all those operations as much as file operations as a rename or move, and I'd really like to get them into AL/Undo. I hear you, action.dat & other settings might get out of sync and result in wrong stuff, but maybe this could be "optional". As in, an option (to get those under AL/Undo) that can only be enabled if one has "Save settings on exit" enabled.

Since, if that is the case, action.dat & other settings should be in sync, as they're all saved upon a "Save All Settings" and when exiting XY. Yes, I know, one can save some settings only, leading to out-of-sync issues. But one can also affect the file system outside of XY, leading to similar situations. Yet most of the times, I think one will either exit XY, or use the "Save All Settings" TB button, ensuring everything is in sync.
OK, I will rethink it when Undo 2.0 comes. But this is not now and not tomorrow. The next steps are CHM help, Win7 stuff, XYcopy.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Code: Select all

v8.60.0007 - 2009-11-10 15:19
    * Undo/Redo: Improved refreshing of Tree within special folders.
Thank you for fixing that! The "Extra Special Undo" problem :lol: sadly remains :(
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I take back what I said in the above post. It seems Satan's minions have returned and tree in 'My Documents' doesn't reflect undoing of a folder deletion. Non-special locations are devil-free though :lol:
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:I take back what I said in the above post. It seems Satan's minions have returned and tree in 'My Documents' doesn't reflect undoing of a folder deletion. Non-special locations are devil-free though :lol:
Correct, fix comes.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Quick things:

- Delete (Recycle bin) a file, undo, redo. Now in the AL under "previous names in RB" there are two items: what used to be there before the undo (the path inside RB, which is right), and the exact same path as above ("deleted items"). This doesn't seem to make much sense to me? :?

- Delete (bin) a file again, to go recycle bin and delete it from there. Now if you try to undo the original delete in XY, it acts as if it was done : no error, action flagged "UNDONE" in AL, etc except for one thing: it was obviously not undone! (Attempting to redo the delete will, however, fail as expected).
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:Quick things:

- Delete (Recycle bin) a file, undo, redo. Now in the AL under "previous names in RB" there are two items: what used to be there before the undo (the path inside RB, which is right), and the exact same path as above ("deleted items"). This doesn't seem to make much sense to me? :?

- Delete (bin) a file again, to go recycle bin and delete it from there. Now if you try to undo the original delete in XY, it acts as if it was done : no error, action flagged "UNDONE" in AL, etc except for one thing: it was obviously not undone! (Attempting to redo the delete will, however, fail as expected).
Yes, I'm aware of these side effects and already have them on my list for Recycle Bin 2.0 (or Undo 2.0, well one of them...)

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Using version 8.80.0014, "Undo" completely fails (on XP, SP3):

1. Delete an item from special/non-special folder
2. Click "Undo" in TB.
3. Voila!
undo_fail.png
undo_fail.png (7.83 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
P.S. What a useless error message box! :evil: (Pardon my anger in advance...)

Bad icon used (icon of a red X needs to be used instead, since it's a big deal, rather than just something to think about), negative connotation on the error message text (instead of "Undo Delete failed!", how about "Unable to undo"?), bad error description text (how about "Item(s) not found in Recycle Bin"?), no suggestions about what to do next and, most infuriatingly of all, a single "OK" button. Something just failed and, apparently, it's "OK"...there's something sadistic in that "OK" :lol: :mrgreen:
Windows 7/10

jayfischer

Post by jayfischer »

You are saying "OK" or dismissing the dialog - NOT that it couldn't complete your request and its flippin you off!

Now maybe there is a bug in there somewhere (prior to the dialog) I don't know - but don't take your anger out on the perfectly understandable (by a reasonable person) dialog. :)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

zer0 wrote:bad error description text (how about "Item(s) not found in Recycle Bin"?)
It's my understanding that it's known either as Recycle Bin or Recycler depending on OS/Location so that doesn't seem that unusual...but I agree RB may be more common usage.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

jayfischer wrote:You are saying "OK" or dismissing the dialog - NOT that it couldn't complete your request and its flippin you off!

Now maybe there is a bug in there somewhere (prior to the dialog) I don't know - but don't take your anger out on the perfectly understandable (by a reasonable person) dialog. :)
No, that's not right. Command button labels should represent a direct response to the static text of a dialogue window. As a custom, when clicking "OK" one agrees with the static text and usually a subsequent action follows. In this case, nothing follows clicking "OK" and it shouldn't act as a suppressant of a dialogue window (there's a red X for that). It would be much better to label that button "Close" as that's exactly its effect -- it closes a window and nothing else happens. Microsoft lists it as one of the top guideline violations: "Don't use OK for error messages. Users don't view errors as being OK. If the error message has no direct action, use Close instead."

P.S. Consider a delete confirmation window. It asks you "Are you sure you want to move this file to the Recycle Bin?". It's a Yes/No question, so the buttons that are provided are labelled "Yes" and "No", not "OK" and "Cancel". Do you see the difference? ;)
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I agree about the icon and "Recycle Bin", thanks.

But Undo works as always here. Maybe you used the DisableSHChangeNotifyRegister tweak?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:But Undo works as always here. Maybe you used the DisableSHChangeNotifyRegister tweak?
Nope, I don't think so, it's set to "0". Restart of XYplorer didn't help, but restoring from RB's List context menu puts the file back :?
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:But Undo works as always here. Maybe you used the DisableSHChangeNotifyRegister tweak?
Nope, I don't think so, it's set to "0". Restart of XYplorer didn't help, but restoring from RB's List context menu puts the file back :?
I did not change anything with Undo in the last weeks, so I don't know what might be causing this new behavior on your end. :?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:
zer0 wrote:
I did not change anything with Undo in the last weeks, so I don't know what might be causing this new behavior on your end. :?
Perhaps it's a by-product of another change, but it's hard to say. If I've got time, I'll try to try a few previous betas to see how far back it goes. It also looks like you've turned off internal logging, so I can't provide debug information that way.
Windows 7/10

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Further clarification, if it helps -- I can undo deletion of folders. It's just the files that are affected.
Windows 7/10