New bug(?) Search result

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
lole

New bug(?) Search result

Post by lole »

Hi,

I installed the new beta (4.20.0023) and noticed a new thing (bug?) with the Search results tab.

I do a search, for example:
Name: *.cpp
Include subfolders checked.

Everything goes as I expect, then I go to another tab I have.
The Name: is still *.cpp, loaction changes to the tabs location and subfolders is still checked.
Now I go back to the SR tab and now the Name: is cleared, location is C:\Program Files\Borland\CBuilder6\ and subfolders is unchecked.

Is this the new way for Tracker to work, clear everything in Find Files except Location?

In the previous version of TrackerV3 the last search values was not cleared.

Lars-Olof

admin
Site Admin

Re: New bug(?) Search result

Post by admin »

lole wrote:Is this the new way for Tracker to work, clear everything in Find Files except Location?
No! But you have to describe it more exactly, because I cannot reproduce it.

lole

Post by lole »

Hi,

I will take it from when I start Tracker.

I have 3 tabs C:\, D:\, and E:\

Now I want find some files.

I write in Name: *.cpp
In Location: D:\Data\Source\Friaor_Firebird\Source\
I have Include Subfolders checked
Name is also checked and the result should be Search results tab

I click on Find Now, get the result and SR tab gets the focus. Now I click on one of the other tabs C:\ and see the files i C:\. I do not select any files or folders.
In Find Files everything are as when I did the search.
Name has *.cpp, Subfolders is checked, the only thing that has changed is Location which now has the value of C:\.

Now I click on the SR tab and now the result in the SR tab is from the whole directory of D:\Data\Source\Friaor_Firebird\Source\. Name: is blank and all the checkboxes are unchecked.

I tried to delete ihe ini-file, still the same problem.

Hope this help you, otherwise we are back to very strange bug that only occurs on my system. I have reinstalled my system after the problem we had with the dates (to large). So my system is "only" around 2 weeks old.

This problem started for me in version 0023 (I think) and I do not have any older version left so I can check when the problem started for me.

Lars-Olof
Lars-Olof

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I have to go now, so just a quick answer:

- I cannot reproduce it
- it looks like your tab_*.dat files (in ...\FindTemplates\) cannot be read or written
- i don't see any connection to the latest BETA changes
- try the latest official release to check

lole

Post by lole »

Hi,

It works now.

I uninstalled Tracker, installed the last official release and run it.
Get it to work. Installed last beta, it works.

What I could find out was that the dir. FindTemplets did not exist for me.

Now it looks like it works as it should.

Thanks for the help.

Keep up with excellent support and adding new and usefully functions to Tracker.

Lars-Olof

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

lole wrote:I uninstalled Tracker, installed the last official release and run it.
Get it to work. Installed last beta, it works.

What I could find out was that the dir. FindTemplets did not exist for me.
Holy shit! That was a very important information!! Since a couple of weeks (or months, I don't even know) the FindTemplates folder is only created when you open the Find Templates dialog, with exactly the effect you describe: the SR tab forgets everything because the data are not stored in that folder because it does not exist!
That means, new users (not you old forum dogs :wink: ) have never experienced the power of the finding tabs. Madonna...!

Thanks, Olof!!

EDIT: the last official release had the bug, too, so I wonder how you got it to work? You must have opened Find Templates dialog, right?

lole

Post by lole »

admin wrote:
EDIT: the last official release had the bug, too, so I wonder how you got it to work? You must have opened Find Templates dialog, right?
I think I open the Find Templates dialog.

The best for you to do is to create the FindTemplates folder when Tracker is installed (create folder if not exist).

Lars-Olof

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

lole wrote:The best for you to do is to create the FindTemplates folder when Tracker is installed (create folder if not exist).
No, that's only the 2nd best, since you can always delete the folder. What I do is create it (if not exist) at each app start.

lole

Post by lole »

admin wrote:No, that's only the 2nd best, since you can always delete the folder. What I do is create it (if not exist) at each app start.
Works for me! :D

Lars-Olof