Columns' & List's settings when going from SP to DP

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
zer0

Columns' & List's settings when going from SP to DP

Post by zer0 »

Using v8, I've just tried going into DP mode and observed an interesting behaviour. When in SP mode, I have certain columns shown and have appropriate settings in terms of List style. However, when adding a second pane, those settings don't seem to have been applied to the way List is presented. It looks like second pane is shown using factory default settings. FVS is not enabled so that's not the issue. Is there a reason why this is how DP behaves? If I was to use DP I would have liked to see consistency between panes without me having to tweak settings for 2nd pane separately.

P.S. Pardon me if this was mentioned during DP's development. I searched and didn't find similar threads/posts :wink:
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Re: Columns' & List's settings when going from SP to DP

Post by admin »

The two panes are completely separate in this regard.

This function will interchange list settings between the panes:

Code: Select all

+ CKS | Miscellaneous | List: Added command "Copy List Settings from 
      Other Pane". Copies the inactive pane's list settings to the 
      current list, incl. column order, width, and visibility, sort 
      order, list style, date and size formats, and view.
      If necessary thumbnails are created.
      The function also works when the other pane is hidden, which means 
      that you can (ab)use the other pane as a backup store for list 
      settings.
      Of course, this function is only applicable when both lists have 
      the same mode (Browse, Find, Drives, Network).

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:The two panes are completely separate in this regard...
I see, but why, when creating a second pane, not migrate the settings from the first pane automatically? Doing so seems logical to me. Also, with FVS enabled, is there a second set of properties for a folder depending on the pane that it's in?
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:The two panes are completely separate in this regard...
I see, but why, when creating a second pane, not migrate the settings from the first pane automatically? Doing so seems logical to me. Also, with FVS enabled, is there a second set of properties for a folder depending on the pane that it's in?
1. 2nd pane is not created, it's always there. On a fresh install both panes have the same settings.

2. FVS is global (= same for both panes), simply because folders are global.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:1. 2nd pane is not created, it's always there. On a fresh install both panes have the same settings.

1. But when moving from a SP build to a DP build the second pane must be created because it wasn't there before. After that, it's always there but hidden. So I'm referring to that SP -> DP transition, during which settings of one pane must be applied to the second pane for the sake of consistency.

2. If FVS is global, then lack of FVS must also be global, since FVS includes column layouts and list styles. However, lack of FVS isn't global because SP's settings aren't projected onto the second pane :?
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:1. 2nd pane is not created, it's always there. On a fresh install both panes have the same settings.

1. But when moving from a SP build to a DP build the second pane must be created because it wasn't there before. After that, it's always there but hidden. So I'm referring to that SP -> DP transition, during which settings of one pane must be applied to the second pane for the sake of consistency.

2. If FVS is global, then lack of FVS must also be global, since FVS includes column layouts and list styles. However, lack of FVS isn't global because SP's settings aren't projected onto the second pane :?
OK, got it. Well, I decided to create the 2nd pane from factory defaults.

ale

Post by ale »

I had the same feeling yesterday evening, I had XY updated to v8 in main installation but never used dual pane mode because I see myself mostly as a single pane user. My previous experience with XY dual pane was only to make the screenshots for the dual pane wishes thread. But I had two folders and I wanted to move some jpg back and forth so I thought let's put the folders side by side with DP. The first reaction was :shock: I think my brain was expecting the same list settings in the other pane. After that, I looked for a command to copy the list settings from one pane to the other but actually it was very hard to find! (#1071). I think this kind of reaction also comes from the fact I'm not a fresh v8 user but a pre v8 one. I'm not asking anything, just reporting my experience, happy coding :)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I had a similar experience on my initial usage of DP, and concur that on that when usage goes from SP to DP, the settings from 1st should be copied to 2nd, or at minimum, allow the default behavior to be selected via tweak and/or config...the three possible variants that I see immediately are: 1) factory defaults 2) current settings from active tab on single pane 3) saved settings for that folder, if any...but I now see that 3) should likely override other two if that was the basis.

Because if I've got my SP set the way I want it, there is a very high probability that I'd want the DP to be identical, and not back to square one, and without having to do a command/function to copy settings...that comes into play when I'm in DP and have adjusted pane 1 to new settings and want to get pane 2 to match.
Last edited by j_c_hallgren on 20 Jun 2009 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for sharing your experiences. :)

However, be aware that list settings in XY a tab-wise and mode-wise, not pane-wise.

But I agree that #1071 should probably move to the main menu.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:However, be aware that list settings in XY a tab-wise and mode-wise, not pane-wise.
Yes, I'll agree that's true...but when you aren't using FVS and all your tabs are the same layout as I have, then it really would be kinda a pane-wise equivalent...and...even if you have more unique settings, when you don't yet have a setup for that 2nd pane, getting the same layout as the current tab would be preferable (IMO) to a virgin/default setup.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:However, be aware that list settings in XY a tab-wise and mode-wise, not pane-wise.
Yes, I'll agree that's true...but when you aren't using FVS and all your tabs are the same layout as I have, then it really would be kinda a pane-wise equivalent...and...even if you have more unique settings, when you don't yet have a setup for that 2nd pane, getting the same layout as the current tab would be preferable (IMO) to a virgin/default setup.
But the virgin situation happens just once. For most of you it's too late anyway, and for new users it's irrelevant. So why bother...

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:But the virgin situation happens just once. For most of you it's too late anyway, and for new users it's irrelevant. So why bother...
Ok...I'm not aware...do brand new users get DP on first use? Or is it SP? If SP, then it can be relevant...

And yes, it's a one time thing, but it can still be a surprise to a user.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

j_c_hallgren wrote:Ok...I'm not aware...do brand new users get DP on first use? Or is it SP? If SP, then it can be relevant...
Brand new users get SP on their first use, so I believe it's relevant. It's also easier to customise one pane than two and...puff!...the second pane gets the same settings automatically :)
Windows 7/10

Muroph

Post by Muroph »

@ Don
can't you just automatically run a #1071 command on the 1st time DP is used, and load the FVS after that (if it exists)?
My shared scripts:
TeraCopy Integration, Tag Manager, Comments Menu, Text Replacer, Image and Media Tools, Checksum Calculator, Video Calculator
only 5 URLs are allowed on the sig...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Muroph wrote:@ Don
can't you just automatically run a #1071 command on the 1st time DP is used, and load the FVS after that (if it exists)?
I could, but I'd find it weird. Sorry, I still don't understand the whole point of this.