Dual Pane Bugs

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
TheQwerty

Dual Pane Bugs

Post by TheQwerty »

With the introduction of Dual Panes, I'm sure we'll see some new interest in XY, and probably a bunch of bug reports.

Let's try to use this thread for small dual pane related bugs instead of creating a whole bunch of new threads; we can always split it off to a new thread if it requires a more focused discussion.

So far though I've yet to find anything to prove this thread will be needed. :P

TheQwerty

Re: Dual Pane Bugs

Post by TheQwerty »

Gandolf wrote:
admin wrote:Well, here you are. 8) .....
No use having items only on the toolbar - I never use it. I assume that will change later.

I can't see which is the active pane - how is it distinguished? You say "also providing a better way to mark the active pane" but I can't see any marking of the active pane at the moment. I assume the fact that the focused item is greyed out is how you are doing it - not much use if the focused item is not visible.

How do I switch between panes - don't tell me the rat or I'll scream!!! I understood that there would be a keystroke even if it was not the standard Tab key.

No pane header, don't you intend to have one?? If not, without flexible tabs then it's impossible to see the path of the inactive pane with more than a few tabs open (even on my 1920 x 1200 display).

What's the first / second / both panes flexible? I can't see any difference. I don't have the tree active so is it something to do with that?

There is, obviously, no means of copying to the inactive pane. Remember, I'm a keyboard user so "drag-and-drop" is of no use.

Can't drag splitter completely to right / left so can't maximise the pane other than switching to single pane.

Switching to single pane always defaults to the left pane, not the active pane.

Select an item in the left pane - status bar shows it as a document and gives the name. Switch to an item in the right pane, it's a jpeg file and is shown as such in the status bar. Switch back to the already focused item in the left pane, only on icon is shown and no file name. Back to the right pane (focused item) and now only the icon is shown - no name.

I don't like the active drag of the splitter, visually distracting with many tabs open which keep changing. I much prefer only the splitter bar to move then, when the mouse button is released, the split happens.

Major problem - the inactive pane does not update on file changes. I'm watching some files that are being sent to me, in x² as the file arrives the list is updated even though neither the pane or x² are active. In XY the inactive pane is "frozen".

Sorry, Don, but first reaction it that it's a "non-starter" for me. I can't even begin to try to use it.

****** My first posting of this appears to have been lost - this is a re-posting ******

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Gandolf wrote:What's the first / second / both panes flexible? I can't see any difference. I don't have the tree active so is it something to do with that?
This looks like it determines how the panes are resize when you resize the main window. If you only want the first pane to resize you select "First Pane Flexible" resize the main window and the sizer will maintain the width or height of the second pane.
Gandolf wrote:I don't like the active drag of the splitter, visually distracting with many tabs open which keep changing. I much prefer only the splitter bar to move then, when the mouse button is released, the split happens.
This should be optional in my opinion, I do like to see the change instantly.

------------
Gandolf wrote:Sorry, Don, but first reaction it that it's a "non-starter" for me. I can't even begin to try to use it.
:roll: That's pretty harsh! For a first beta it's more usable than some of the other file managers that were developed from the start as DP. It certainly looks much better than some of them.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

TheQwerty wrote:
Gandolf wrote:What's the first / second / both panes flexible? I can't see any difference. I don't have the tree active so is it something to do with that?
This looks like it determines how the panes are resize when you resize the main window. If you only want the first pane to resize you select "First Pane Flexible" resize the main window and the sizer will maintain the width or height of the second pane.
I see, can't see the point of that but somebody might find it of use.
TheQwerty wrote:
Gandolf wrote:Sorry, Don, but first reaction it that it's a "non-starter" for me. I can't even begin to try to use it.
:roll: That's pretty harsh! For a first beta it's more usable than some of the other file managers that were developed from the start as DP. It certainly looks much better than some of them.
I alpha tested x² (the earliest I have is x2alpha 0.0.0.12). O.K., Nikos had already written 2xEplorer but x² was a very different venture and, from what I remember, first reactions were good.

I've also been writing code (mainly assembler) since the early 1960's, so I do have some idea of what is involved.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

TheQwerty wrote:
Gandolf wrote:I don't like the active drag of the splitter, visually distracting with many tabs open which keep changing. I much prefer only the splitter bar to move then, when the mouse button is released, the split happens.
This should be optional in my opinion, I do like to see the change instantly.
If the split move isn't updated on-the-fly, then the user may put it somewhere that they don't truely desire, so a more WYSIWYG style makes sense to me.

------------
Hey, I've been involved with computers since the mid-70's and some of the early versions of my programs weren't all that usable/pretty either... :wink:

But I think the ability to see the work-in-progress instead of a more fully completed vers offsets these defects, as we may possibly have a chance to alter things that are going in a different direction than we hoped for...
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

j_c_hallgren wrote:...If the split move isn't updated on-the-fly, then the user may put it somewhere that they don't truely desire, so a more WYSIWYG style makes sense to me.
Personal choice, I find it distracting seeing everything moving about but, since I hardly ever move the splitter then it's not going to be a problem.

ale

Post by ale »

Small question so I won't open a dedicated topic

Search tab is locked after performing a search. Is this intended behaviour maybe related to recent and dual pane changes or a bug?

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

ale wrote:Small question so I won't open a dedicated topic

Search tab is locked after performing a search. Is this intended behaviour maybe related to recent and dual pane changes or a bug?
No, this has been this way since long. Check the Info panel (Find files | Options) and you will see that "Search Results tab" is selected, this is the default behavior. Change it to new tab or current tab if dont want it locked.

ale

Post by ale »

I will try a less silly observation...
In part is already reported, anyway if we have the same tab open in both panes and we create, rename ecc... files in a pane, then if we activate the other pane, the list is not refreshed. It's not refreshed also if we turn off and then again on dual pane (F10)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ale wrote:I will try a less silly observation...
In part is already reported, anyway if we have the same tab open in both panes and we create, rename ecc... files in a pane, then if we activate the other pane, the list is not refreshed. It's not refreshed also if we turn off and then again on dual pane (F10)
Yes, this is in the making. You will get the famous auto-refresh (system tells XY that something happened), and also of course XY's internal refresh (XY knows what happened because he did it himself -- or is it a girl?).

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:
ale wrote:I will try a less silly observation...
Yes, this is in the making. You will get the famous auto-refresh (system tells XY that something happened), and also of course XY's internal refresh (XY knows what happened because he did it himself -- or is it a girl?).
Yes, make it a girl. I would not like to play with guys that much. :P

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

admin wrote:(XY knows what happened because he did it himself -- or is it a girl?).
Of course XY is male - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_sex-det ... ion_system.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

mwb1100 wrote:
admin wrote:(XY knows what happened because he did it himself -- or is it a girl?).
Of course XY is male - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_sex-det ... ion_system.
:lol: indeed!! how did i forget that.
But coming back to the topic, auto-refresh and internal are quite essential here.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Don, I've been thinking about how you could mark the active pane.
One of the nicest way I've seen this done is in Eclipse.

If you notice the tabbed pane on the left ("Package Explorer") has a blue frame around it, signifying it is active. It's subtle and it doesn't cost a lot of screen real estate, but it is extremely pleasant to use.

Just the frame should be enough, no reason to roll your own tabs to get that colored as well (for non-Classic themes). It also has the advantage of not being too terribly difficult to extend to the tree, catalog, and even the IP if desired.

This is what I'd most like to see you do, though maybe since Orange is such a main color of XY, you should use that instead of the blue. :P

You can view more screenshots by clicking through:

J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

Hello all.

No bugs to report, though I have just installed the beta and started using it only about an hour ago. Personally I do prefer the behavior of the panes when moving the split bar. I agree with the comment above by j_c_halgren that without the dynamic pane changes you aren't sure where you end up until you stop. I also agree that some indicator of which pane is active is necessary.

I did want to say that I think it is a very usable product for a beta version - especially for a first release beta. I am truly impressed Doug. I like it enough that it has already become my daily use file explorer/manager as is.

Thank you.

Jim
J-Mac