Problems when there's a lot of files...

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
jacky
XYwiki Master

Problems when there's a lot of files...

Post by jacky »

Hi,

Okay i think there's some bugs with the listview when there's a lot of files. I've got the directory with 72 562 files in it; and I got some "weird" things happening.

For example, if I type something (beginning of a file name, to go to it in the list...) the file informations displayed in the statusbar are correct, but the filelist I got isn't. I mean it says it's on a file, which starts with what I typed, but i'm way higher on the listview. I can use the keys up & down to move, and sometimes the list of files moves (like scroll down if I move down) but I'm just not where the selected file is (current row)

ex: I'm showing rows 813-863 when the current row is 1847

And even if I use the scrollbar to go there, then use the keys (up/down) to move, if I reach a point where the list must scrolln, I'm back somewhere else.

ex: I went to show rows 1811-1861, then move up to 1811, then pressed up, then I'm showing 818-868 (even though selected file (statusbar info, or scrolling down again to be sure) is the right one.

BTW you've got a bug with the column for row number, which i don't usually used, cause it good up to 9999 then it shows like "10..." and there's no way to adjust it, manually or using auto-adjust won't do anything.

Also, I tried scrolling all the way to the last file. Pressing End won't work, I mean still the same pb: statusbar info is right, even the scrollbar is like it's at the very end, but I'm not there; gotta go there "manually" (I hold-click on the scrollbar, then as soon as I move up, even just a little it got the right files showing on the list)

Anyways, I'm on the last file, PgUp, and I got back to row "32..."

Not sure what else I could say, so I'll let you work on that now... 8)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems when there's a lot of files...

Post by admin »

Ohlala!! Very embarassing... Thank you! Fix comes in a minute.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:BTW you've got a bug with the column for row number, which i don't usually used, cause it good up to 9999 then it shows like "10..." and there's no way to adjust it, manually or using auto-adjust won't do anything.
There is a way, but it's one of the hard-core configs: search the INI-file for key LinenumDigits and set it to 5.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:Fix comes in a minute.
Thanks, works great now! :D
admin wrote:There is a way, but it's one of the hard-core configs: search the INI-file for key LinenumDigits and set it to 5.
ok.. well at least what's cool is that hard-core settings in TV3 are just settings in the INI file, not somewhere in the code, so it's never really hard-core stuff ;)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:ok.. well at least what's cool is that hard-core settings in TV3 are just settings in the INI file, not somewhere in the code, so it's never really hard-core stuff ;)
:D
In the meantime I softened it: you'll have a menu command in the next version.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

hey, I'm back

And I got another little bug for you ;)
Still with lots of files in a folder, still a scrolling thing. But this time it involves the mouse wheel.

So I got my folder with 52 260 items in it. I type the first letters of a filename to go there (near the end, line #52 201 actually) and then I scroll down all the way to the end.
It works if I use the keys, or the scrollbarr if I grab the "scroll-whatever-you-called-that-little-thingy" and drag it to the bottom. But if I use the mouse wheel OR if I click on the arrow on the scroolbar then it will stop at line #52 239. (which is the very last line shown on the list, no blank one obviously as there's still more files/lines)
Then I can go to the end if I use the keys or grab the scrollthinghy again.

I noticed too that if I click on that line (52239), then the next one (52240) becomes visible and I can then scroll some more (using the mouse/scroll arrow) but not to the end, to line 52 253 this time. Then 52 258, then 52 260, but it's only when I'll click on that last line that the very last line in the list view will be a blank one (as there seems to always be one when things works "normally")

I think that's it. Good luck with that 8)

Edit: Also, I think there's a pb with the new way you start copy/move operations (as I never had this before, so I'm guessing it comes from here...). I think I've read that now we can move, etc while the files are being trated by Windows. But whenever I try to move files from my folder then TV3 start re-doing its sorting (as files are bieng moved) and then I'll get pretty soon an error message (RunTime error 380: invalid property value) then once the moving files operation is done I got another error message (RT 97: cannot call friend function on object which is not an instance of defining class) then TV3 "disappear".

Note: everything works fine if I change folder right after I started the moving operation.
Edit²: I tried without auto-refresh on, got no error during the moving operation, but once done (and TV3 starts sorting I think) I got the first error (RT-380) and then TV3 "disappear" again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Huge folders: yes, true. Get's a low-priority-to-do. You can always get to the bottom by the End key or by scrolling shortly up and down again.

RunTime error: could not reproduce it yet. Your analysis is correct, though, I think. If more reports of this bug come in I will withdraw that change.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:RunTime error: could not reproduce it yet. Your analysis is correct, though, I think. If more reports of this bug come in I will withdraw that change.
If not, could that be an option ? Cause it's really annoying to get Tracker to crash whenever I move some files... :?

BTW seems to be be linked to the number of files on the list again. Like I can move 40 files wihtout pb if thoose are the 40 first files of the list, but if i move one file on the end of the list, TV3 will crash (RT-380; with and without auto-refresh)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:
admin wrote:RunTime error: could not reproduce it yet. Your analysis is correct, though, I think. If more reports of this bug come in I will withdraw that change.
If not, could that be an option ? Cause it's really annoying to get Tracker to crash whenever I move some files... :?

BTW seems to be be linked to the number of files on the list again. Like I can move 40 files wihtout pb if thoose are the 40 first files of the list, but if i move one file on the end of the list, TV3 will crash (RT-380; with and without auto-refresh)
Yes, ok, I must be an option. I just don't know how to call this option... :roll: :? ("Crash when moving files: Yes/No" does not sound too good :lol: )

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:Yes, ok, I must be an option. I just don't know how to call this option... :roll: :? ("Crash when moving files: Yes/No" does not sound too good :lol: )
:lol:

yeah I can't think of anything good right now either :?
Looks like another good time for some meditation ;)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Researched the recent huge list (> 32767 items) scroll bug: the point is, when you click on the scrollbar arrows you expect a one-line scroll, but due to some internal limitations of VB's scrollbars, I had to invent a little trick to realize one-line scrolls in huge lists. This trick has a downside: a rounding error is accumulated which ultimately leads to the problem you experienced.

So, I could easily fix the bug, but the price would be: instead of one-line scrolls you'd get sometimes 1 line, sometimes 2 lines when you click a scrollbar arrow, depending on certain internal rounding results.

What's the choice?

EDIT: I could fix it pretty good (without having to choose). 8)

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:What's the choice?
I refuse to choose :mrgreen:
admin wrote:EDIT: I could fix it pretty good (without having to choose). 8)
Well.. .good then ;)

About the other option, you could go for something like "Shown progress window modeless" (as thoose are your words already) ; but it's hard to really know what it means without a little explanation (i.e. allow you to work while files are being moved/copied in the background, but may cause problems when moving on long file listings) :?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:About the other option, you could go for something like "Shown progress window modeless" (as thoose are your words already) ; but it's hard to really know what it means without a little explanation (i.e. allow you to work while files are being moved/copied in the background, but may cause problems when moving on long file listings) :?
Since I don't succeed in reproducing the error (my file list is refreshed smoothly file files being moved away), I'm inclinced to wait till a 2nd user reports a problem here. Maybe it's just your computer?
Describe more exactly: how many files, how many bytes, moving from where to where, what sort order, how was operation invoked (drag, toolbar, keyboard...)?

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:Describe more exactly: how many files, how many bytes, moving from where to where, what sort order, how was operation invoked (drag, toolbar, keyboard...)?
(TrackerV3 v4.20.0014 - XP Pro SP2)

Ok let's try... So I have 35 257 items on my list. Moving item 32 767 (207Kb) works but I got back on the list (after the automatic refresh) not where I was but from item 35 031 to 35 081, while the selected one (name on the statusbar) was item 32 767. So I hit heys up & down and I'm back where I was before/should have been.

Then I try moving item 34 926 (6Kb) and once done got the error 380, and TV3 is gone.

I'm guessing this is because TV3 tries to show the list too "far away", so as long as the list is long enough, cause it wasn't an item from the end of the list, it works. But when it was, it tries to go out-of-range & crashes.

And, I just created 33 000 empty files in a new folder on another drive, just to test. Tried to move 32944.txt and TV3 crashed. So I think you should be abe to do the same and try it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AHA! Again a huge list issue! :roll: You did not make this clear explicitly (but, ok, you implied it by mentioning it inside this topic).

Well, I think I fixed it along with the other bug... try it.